HRC Ravenclaw Common Room discussion

OCT 16: the magicians > First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devin (new)

Devin Waddell Babcock | 115 comments Mod
Anyone else see parallels between Grossman's "Fillory" and Lewis' "Narnia"?

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Pio (beerbudgetsocialite) | 24 comments Oh my gosh I've been screaming in my head about this as a I read the book!! Also the HP references!

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (geekgirl73) | 7 comments I was just thinking the same thing. Nicole, I also noticed all the HP references.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments Devin wrote: "Anyone else see parallels between Grossman's "Fillory" and Lewis' "Narnia"?"

Absolutely! I've been thinking that all the way through.

message 5: by Devin (new)

I'm not very far in, but I've also just noticed a nod to Tolkien's LOTR.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina Vols-Green | 1 comments I see parallels to HP which may be the reason I'm finding it difficult to get through this book. It's just not that good so far. Please tell me it gets better.

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) | 20 comments Lots of parallels to Narnia. And Christina, it does not get better. There's probably a chapter or two that are interesting and then...I struggled a lot with this book.

message 8: by Devin (new)

I struggled too. I was so surprised- I've heard people say good things, how it's the adult version of Harry Potter, but I can't say that I agree with those statements.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) | 20 comments Devin, I have two words: Arctic Foxes... :/

message 10: by Devin (new)

Carolyn, you have to explain. I'm not familiar with Arctic Foxes...?

message 11: by Devin (new)

Ohhhhh..: light bulb. Disregard, I know what you mean.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Pio (beerbudgetsocialite) | 24 comments I just finished the book this morning. I'm going to need some time to process and then I'll work on posting discussion questions.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments I am SO GLAD to hear that people seem to be sharing my opinion on this book so far! I've heard such great things about it, and when it became a SyFy show, my husband and I were extremely intrigued. I've been reading it first while he catches up on a series that has a new book coming out in November. I'm 315 pages in and struggling to finish. I'm just going to say it: so far, I can't stand this book.

message 14: by Kara (new)

Kara (karamerica) | 7 comments Heather wrote: "I am SO GLAD to hear that people seem to be sharing my opinion on this book so far! I've heard such great things about it, and when it became a SyFy show, my husband and I were extremely intrigued...."

Heather, me either! It is a real struggle to get through it. I never stop reading books part way through but I am tempted to with this one.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jme1st) | 2 comments I've been listing to the book on CD in the car. I am on the third disc and I don't dislike the book so far. However, I have found that it is sometimes easier to listen to book that I find challenging to read, so maybe that's why I am OK with it so far.

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (geekgirl73) | 7 comments I have finished the book and I was not all that impressed with it. I found a good deal of it simply boring.

message 17: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) | 20 comments I felt that the characters go through some interesting growth, once they get to Narnia...I actually don't remember the name of the land. But then the ending takes it all away. I was left with the feeling that it was for nothing.

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (geekgirl73) | 7 comments I felt the same way Carolyn. The ending made me question WHT they even went to Fillory.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments Kara, the only reason I finished this book was because of our book club group! If it weren't for that, I probably would have given up and dropped it off at a used book store!