The Lost Challenges discussion

Welcome to TLC! > Meet & Greet - Come and Say Hello!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 633 (633 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The 'introduction' thread has been running for a fairly long time now and I thought it was about time it had a makeover. So here is the new 'Meet & Greet' section!

Most of you will have already said hello at some point but it would be great if you could reintroduce yourselves for the benefit of our newer members.

Please say hi and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Where are you from?
When did you join TLC?
What's your favourite genre?
Do you have a favourite book?
What is your favourite TLC challenge?
Please tell us a random fact about yourself.

If you are new to the group please visit the 'New Members' thread for a quick guide to getting started.

Thank you for being a part of 'The Lost Challenges' group, we hope you have fun and make some new friends here!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 08, 2016 08:17AM) (new)

I'd better go first and break the ice!

Hi, my name is Caroline and I am one of the moderators.

Where are you from? - Lincolnshire, England.

When did you join TLC? - I joined on Oct 13th 2014 (it's nearly my anniversary!) and became a mod in July 2016.

What's your favourite genre? - I read anything and everything but I suppose if I had to choose I'd go for mysteries & crime.

Do you have a favourite book? - It changes fairly often but one series that I've read a lot that never gets old is Harry Potter.

What is your favourite TLC challenge? - I really like "It's All in a Name" even though this is my third year playing and I haven't completed it once!

Please tell us a random fact about yourself. - I'm wearing Harry Potter pyjamas right now and it's only 4pm :)

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 912 comments *waving hi*

Where are you from?
south-central Pennsylvania, near the state capital of Harrisburg

When did you join TLC?
Wow, I joined this group in June 2012

mysteries, without a doubt, although I'll read almost anything

Not really. Favorite authors include Steve Berry, Jenn McKinlay, Donna Andrews, Debbie Macomber, Mary Kay Andrews and more :)

Don't really have a favorite

I'm addicted to (American) football, especially college games.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 08, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Hi Barb! *waving back*

You're a mystery lover like me! My favourite mystery writer is Agatha Christie and I love mysteries written in that style/era, but I also read more up to date crime thrillers too. The only author of the ones you named that I've read is Steve Berry, my husband loves his Cotton Malone series and he's passed a couple my way.

I know less than nothing about American football. :)

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb | 912 comments Cotton Malone is my book crush :) I love that series and can't wait for the next book that's coming out in the spring!

message 6: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3270 comments Hello everyone!

Where are you from?
Eastern Massachusetts, USA, about 30 miles from Boston.

When did you join TLC?
October 2012. This is one of the earliest groups I joined on GR.

Romance, for sure, but I read a little of everything else too.

Nope, too many to count. I don't very often reread books but I've recently enjoyed some childhood favorites: Nancy Drew, Island of the Blue Dolphins, A Wrinkle in Time, and others.

Spell-outs, of course, as Caroline can attest since she's been adding my name to a bunch of them lately! I'm hooked.

We're having our floors refinished tomorrow, so currently I'm sitting in a completely empty echo-y room since I insisted that we leave my desktop computer set up until the very last thing tomorrow morning.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Connie, my fellow spell out addict!

I completely understand not moving your computer until you absolutely have to. When we moved house I refused to pack my laptop until just before the moving van left!

Creative Caprice | 103 comments Hi all! :)

Where are you from?
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

When did you join TLC?
August 2016

Toss up between mystery and romance, although I dabble in nearly every genre but horror.

Too hard to answer... I'll always have fond memories of the books that first got me into reading: The Little House series, Little Women and Little Men, Nancy Drew, Judy Bolton...

Hmm, well apparently I can't resist the Spell-Out challenges, but actually I think my favourite is the Reading the Seasons one. It's quite brilliant.

I'm a total nerd who played table-top RPGs and still plays video games and geeks out when new super-hero movies/TV shows come out.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Caprice! Little Women was one of my favourites when I was young - I must have read that book (and it's sequels) about a hundred times. I haven't read it for a few years now so it's probably time for a re-read.

message 10: by Sam (last edited Oct 10, 2016 04:24AM) (new)

Sam | 400 comments Hi, all! :)

Where are you from? Dayton, Ohio, USA

When did you join TLC? sometime in the past year, I don't remember the exact date

What's your favourite genre? fantasy (mostly paranormal/urban right now)

Do you have a favourite book? current favorite is Written in Red by Anne Bishop, but I also love many other books and authors

What is your favourite TLC challenge? Definitely the Spell Outs

Please tell us a random fact about yourself. I just got a new puppy dachshund. His name is Durango and he is a handful. My older dachshund, who is 5, is just starting to get used to him. Challenge random fact, when I sign up for spell outs, I then count all the letters in all the words so I know how many of each letter I will need and I put that at the top of my tracking post (not in the group post but the one in my private group) to help me with tracking and tallying. Sometimes it is overwhelming to know how many letters I need but it does seem to help me stay motivated.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Sam. That sounds really organised counting all the letters you need for spell outs. I think it might scare me if I did that!

message 12: by Barb (last edited Oct 10, 2016 05:31AM) (new)

Barb | 912 comments Sam wrote: "when I sign up for spell outs, I then count all the letters in all the words so I know how many of each letter I will need and I put that at the top of my tracking post"

I do the same thing, but I don't count them 'manually.' I copy just the words I need to spell into a Word document, then do a find and replace for each letter. Word tells you how many replacements it made, so I know right away that there are 14 As needed in that challenge. It's a bit tedious for the monster-long challenges, but it's more accurate than when I used to count the letters myself.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow what a great idea Barb!

message 14: by Sam (last edited Oct 10, 2016 07:44AM) (new)

Sam | 400 comments Barb wrote: "Sam wrote: "when I sign up for spell outs, I then count all the letters in all the words so I know how many of each letter I will need and I put that at the top of my tracking post"

I do the same ..."

I don't know how to do this. Can you explain? Right now, I count all the letters manually and it can be exceedingly tedious. And I'm not far enough into the challenges yet to see how many mistakes I've made.

message 15: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3270 comments Creative Caprice wrote: "Hi all! :)

"Too hard to answer... I'll always have fond memories of the books that first got me into reading: The Little House series, Little Women and Little Men, Nancy Drew, Judy Bolton..."

Oh right, I forgot about the Little House series! I loved those too.

message 16: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3270 comments Sam wrote: "Hi, all! :)

"Challenge random fact, when I sign up for spell outs, I then count all the letters in all the words so I know how many of each letter I will need and I put that at the top of my tracking post (not in the group post but the one in my private group) to help me with tracking and tallying. Sometimes it is overwhelming to know how many letters I need but it does seem to help me stay motivated."

Yup, me too, Sam. Always LOTS of A's, E's, N's and O's. But I like to know up front what I'm up against.

message 17: by Joann (new)

Joann | 1244 comments Where are you from?
Regina, SK Canada

When did you join TLC?
Aug. 2015

Historical fiction, Mystery with a bit of paranormal thrown in.

No. Lots that I really liked, but not one stands out as an absolute favourite.

Scattergories is what got me hooked on doing challenges, but I'm now enjoying many of them. I like the current back to school challenge since it combines a few different things into one.

I've got 3 teenagers and my favourite thing to do is watch their sporting games and musical productions. I have no clue what I'll do with myself in a few years when they are no longer doing that.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Joann! I'm pretty hooked on Scattergories too. I only started playing a couple of months ago when Sharon took it over but I love it!

message 19: by Barb (new)

Barb | 912 comments Sam wrote: "Barb wrote: "I copy just the words I need to spell into a Word document, then do a find and replace for each letter. Word tells you how many replacements it made"

I don't know how to do this. Can you explain?"

It was too hard to type it out, so I took some screen shots that I hope will help, Sam. My apologies in advance for how lengthy this post will look :(

First, open Microsoft Word (other word processing programs might do this, but I only use Word). Hover your mouse over Home at the top of the window:

Over at the top right of the window, click on Replace:

The little Find/Replace/Go To window will open, with the Replace tab ready to go:

In the Find what: line, type your first letter (I always start with A and work my way through in alphabetical order; it's easier to keep track!), and in the Replace with line, I use a period or other symbol:

When Word has done its thing, a window will pop up saying "Word has completed its search and has made X replacements." In this case, it's four:

I go to the bottom of my list of words and type "4 A" then move on to B, C, D, etc. Since you've already replaced the As in your list with a symbol of some sort, your notes won't mess up your letter count as you work through the alphabet :)

When you're done, you should have something that looks like this:

If you want to know how many letters there are in total, you can either add together all of the numbers you've come up with for individual letters, or you can do one more Replace: Replace your original symbol with another one, and Word will tell you how many replacements it made one last time:

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam | 400 comments Oooo that looks so much easier than what I do. I'm going to have to try it on the next challenge. We need someone to create a new spell it out challenge so I can try this.

message 21: by Barb (new)

Barb | 912 comments You could always use this method to test the numbers you've come up with for a spell challenge you've just started :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 11, 2016 12:20AM) (new)

Sam wrote: "We need someone to create a new spell it out challenge so I can try this."

Lol. Leave it with me... ;)

(There are a couple of new ones in the Spell Out folder I don't think you've signed up for yet. Are they any good for you?)

message 23: by Connie N. (last edited Oct 11, 2016 07:38AM) (new)

Connie N. | 3270 comments LOL, leave it to Caroline to plug the remaining spell-outs on her list!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Connie N. wrote: "LOL, leave it to Caroline to plug the remaining spell-outs on her list!"

Just trying to be helpful ;)

message 25: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3270 comments Yup, you're so helpful that I'm currently in the midst of joining several more of your spell-out challenges! You're an enabler, is what you are.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Connie N. wrote: "Yup, you're so helpful that I'm currently in the midst of joining several more of your spell-out challenges! You're an enabler, is what you are."

I am. It's true. I'll make myself an 'enabler' badge :)

message 27: by Barb (new)

Barb | 912 comments LOL I think a lot of us could qualify for that one :)

message 28: by John (new)

John | 14 comments Barb wrote: "LOL I think a lot of us could qualify for that one :)"

Caroline wrote: "I'd better go first and break the ice!

Hi, my name is Caroline and I am one of the moderators.

Where are you from? - Lincolnshire, England.

When did you join TLC? - I joined on Oct 13th 2014 (it..."

message 29: by John (new)

John | 14 comments Sorry I did not know how to post a comment on this. I am from Minnesota, Windom to be exact. I am only 13 soon to be 14 and I love to read. My favorite book was well still is a series called The Phoenix files.I do not remember who wrote it even though I finished last night. My name is John McMenimen (mikmenamen). I joined this group today on October 25. I am hoping that in this group I will be able to expand on my genres from the sifi and mystery stuff.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi John, welcome to the group and to Goodreads. We have lots of fun challenges here so have a look around and see what takes your fancy. If you haven't already can I suggest you take a look at the New Members Start Here thread, which will help you get started in the group. If you have any questions, just ask :)

message 31: by John (new)

John | 14 comments Um I looked at the members start here and it did not work. How do I do get to some of the challenges and stuff like that? How do I navigate this page and the other stuff like it. I just want to say thanks for letting me it to your group, and I appreciate that you would allow a 14 year old that may not be able to keep up with the adult in the group, in to the group like I was a friend. Thank you.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi John, sorry if my link in the previous post didn't work for you. If you scroll to the very top of this conversation on the right of the screen you'll see links to 'Group Home' this will take you to the main page where you'll see all the different folders and topics. All the challenges are listed in the Challenge Directory and there is also a Group Map, which has links to all the different areas of the group. Hopefully these links I've just posted will work for you but if not you can find everything on the home page. The map and directory are listed right at the top.

Don't worry about not 'keeping up' with anybody, we're pretty laid back here and there's no pressure to read a certain amount of books. A lot of our challenges are open ended so you can work on them at your own pace. All of the spell out challenges are open ended too. Have fun!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi again, sorry I misunderstood - I thought you meant the link in my comment didn't work but I just checked the Welcome thread and a couple of the links there were broken. Should be all fixed now. Thanks for drawing my attention to it :)

message 34: by John (new)

John | 14 comments Arrival (The Phoenix Files, #1) by Chris Morphew Contact (The Phoenix Files, #2) by Chris Morphew Mutation (The Phoenix Files, #3) by Chris Morphew Underground (The Phoenix Files, #4) by Chris Morphew Fallout (The Phoenix Files, #5) by Chris Morphew Doomsday (The Phoenix files, #6) by Chris Morphew
I have no idea what all this stuff means but those are the books from the series, and I learned that the author is Chris Morphew. Again you have no idea how much you welcoming me in like a friend means to me. Thank you so much.

message 35: by John (new)

John | 14 comments O never mind about the "I have on idea what this stuff means." It came up like [ book cover 3756] or something like that. Have a nice day. P.S do you guys know who Harambay is?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

John wrote: "Again you have no idea how much you welcoming me in like a friend means to me. Thank you so much...."

No worries John. Hope you have fun in the group :)

I'm sorry, I don't know who Harambay is.

message 37: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3270 comments John wrote: "Arrival (The Phoenix Files, #1) by Chris MorphewContact (The Phoenix Files, #2) by Chris MorphewMutation (The Phoenix Files, #3) by Chris MorphewUnderground (The Phoenix Files, #4) by Chris MorphewFallout (The Phoenix Files, #5) by Chris MorphewDoomsday (The Phoenix files, #6) by Chris Morphew
I have no idea what all t..."

Welcome, John. I love those covers and think I'm going to have to investigate that series. If you poke around in this group and look at what other people are reading, I think you'll find a lot of ideas that will help you find other books you might find interesting. Have fun!

message 38: by John (new)

John | 14 comments i love the wrinkle in time that is probably my second favorite book. Have you seen the movie?

message 39: by John (new)

John | 14 comments Does anyone have any ideas for challenges in this group for a 14 year old? I saw that there is a "make your one challenge" could someone tell me how to make one? You can also tell me like what you would like to see in the challenge, and then I can add my own twist to it.
Does anyone know if you can send a email to friends so they can join this group?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

John wrote: "Does anyone have any ideas for challenges in this group for a 14 year old? I saw that there is a "make your one challenge" could someone tell me how to make one? You can also tell me like what you ..."

I think any of the challenges would be suitable for your age as most of them don't require you to read specific books. Spell outs might be a good place to start. Just have a look around and see what interests you.

You should probably participate in a few challenges before attempting to make your own, just to get a feel for them and see what's required :)

Are your friends already members of Goodreads? If so, you can ask them to join you in this group by clicking on 'invite people' (top right, under where it says 'The Lost Challenges').

message 41: by John (new)

John | 14 comments I know that I am probably the only teenager, no offense intended, but does anyone here go onto YouTube? If you do you can check out my one video on YouTube. If you want to my Chanel is "John McMenimen" the video is " my first ever vid." If you go check it out please leave a like and leave a comment so I know that you saw it. And if you want you can also subscribe to me, I have no idea when the next time I will upload a video. You do not have to do this just because you don't want to hurt my feelings, I'm a tough kid. Do it if you want to. I am not forcing you to do it or use the guilt trick on you. I am also glad that I joined this group, this is the most I have ever written in one go, thank you for help me come out of my hermit shell.

What do you people think about this years election choices? No offense to Hilary supporters but I would like Trump because to me he is the lesser of the two evils.

message 42: by John (new)

John | 14 comments Ps how do I get back to the first page were you can choose your books?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

John wrote: "Ps how do I get back to the first page were you can choose your books?"

Click on 'Home' at the top left of the screen.

message 44: by John (new)

John | 14 comments Did anyone have dad and/or stepdad problems when you were growing up?

message 45: by Creative Caprice (new)

Creative Caprice | 103 comments John wrote: "Did anyone have dad and/or stepdad problems when you were growing up?"

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by problems. There were definitely conflicts and differences of opinions though, which I think is normal looking back on it.

YouTube- I watch it, I think a number of us do despite being older. I can't check it out now, but I'll try to look at your vid when I'm home.

message 46: by Ely (new)

Ely (shomarq) | 11 comments Oh hey, the group that'll help me structure my book choices around my thesis!

Where are you from? - Originally? Puerto Rico.

When did you join TLC? - It seemed fun and like it had ways for me to tackle my to-read pile while also setting my reading pace around my thesis writing.

What's your favourite genre? Fantasy, hands down, even though that's a broad umbrella.

Do you have a favourite book? - haha UH I mean CERTAINLY I have several - if I had to pick one on the spot right now, I'd probably say Hogfather.

What is your favourite TLC challenge? - ...I haven't actually done any yet, but I'm seriously into the Clean It Out Challenge.

Please tell us a random fact about yourself. - I will literally only talk about two things at this point: how much my MA thesis is killing me and the books I'm using to avoid it.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Shona, welcome to the group! No pressure here, join in as many or as few challenges as you want. Hopefully you'll be able to get that TBR pile down a bit :)

message 48: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 548 comments Hello All!!!! So glad and happy to be a part of this group. Looks really fun.
I am from Dominican Republic, in the Caribbean. Bonao City. I just discovered the group and joined it right away (Nov-12-2016). I don't feel i have a favourite genre, cause i'm open to read anything, but, i like so much Romantic Comedies. I do have a favourite book and is the "Anne of Green Gables" series. I am a kindred spirit person :). I haven't check in the challenges but i sure will in a bit.
And to tell you guys, something about myself i can say that a couple of years ago I was reading a book (The Twilight Saga)and i wanted so much to keep reading, i fell off my work's office stairs for being reading and walking at the same time. Lol. I just had a pain in my butt for a couple of days. Nothing mayor. Lol. Again. Glad to be here. Happy reading!!!!

message 49: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) | 43 comments Hi all! Just came across this group as a big time reading challenge fan, always exciting to find a new group :)

Where are you from? I'm from the UK

When did you join TLC?Approximately 2 minutes ago!

What's your favourite genre? I don't really have one as I've been trying to get a lot more variety in my reading this year, but I've really been enjoying Young Adult books like Everything, Everything and Finding Audrey.

Do you have a favourite book? The Time Traveler's Wife. I haven't actually read it in a while, I'm tempted to finish the year with it.

What is your favourite TLC challenge? Don't know yet as I started with this thread, but I'm generally a fan of a spell-out, except for the VOWELS. They generally ruin things, I read an atrociously bad book earlier this year because I needed a U author...

Please tell us a random fact about yourself At uni I got three tattoos in the space of about 8 months. I don't regret them and they all mean something, but I do sometimes wonder what I might have got if I'd spaced them out a bit more!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Marlene and Martha, welcome to the group! Take a look around and join in on anything that takes your fancy, the new monthly challenges for December will be up in about 7 - 10 days so keep a look out for them. The A-Z challenges will be starting new in January but you're more than welcome to try and complete them for this year (you may back date to January, you don't have to try and squeeze 26 books in by the end of this year!) Martha, we have a whole lot of spelling challenges going on in the Spell Out Challenge folder. They are open ended so you can start and finish at any time.

I hope you both have fun with the challenges, and if you have any questions, please just ask :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13