Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
This topic is about Traitor's Blade
BotM Discussion - FANTASY > Traitor's Blade / Overall Discussion / **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah (sarahcd89) | 39 comments Let me know if I'm overstepping bounds by creating the discussion page for the book since I'm not a fancy pants admin.

I finished the book this morning (because I spent all day under hurricane curfew, yayyyy) and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was rakish and daring and wonderfully adventurous.

I did figure out who Aline was before Flacio, because clearly he's a big dummy. Though I don't know how I feel about the late King's brilliant strategy to carry on his traditions... I feel like it might have been easier to win allies if you didn't sleep with their ladies? I don't know man, Though chastity doesn't seem to be the highest priority in this society.

Milou | 486 comments I finished this a few days ago, and did enjoy it, although I also had quite a few problems with it.

I found it very obvious who Aline was, just like it was no mystery who the tailor and Trin were. The scene with the prostitute (I'm bad with names and couldn't be bothered to remember hers) really pissed me off.

I would have liked to sometimes have a bit more of a breather between all the fighting scenes. And then the one scene I did really want to see (against the Saint) we only learn the outcome off.

I would also have liked to know more about the magic. Or why there wasn't a new king (didn't Greggor have a brother, or a cousin...?)

But overall it was fun. I had a few good laughs, and loved the friendship. I ended up finishing it within two days

message 3: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I've read the full series by now and I've loved it all so far. I agree the pace can be relentless but its one of the things I enjoyed.
The whole magic system is fleshed out and explained as the series progresses so it becomes a lot clearer.
The reason there was no King was the Dukes were holding power and waiting on a candidate they could control.
Falcio is a great narrator and I find him very funny even in the dark moments.
Definitely a series that improves from book to book but I still like where it all started a lot , even if some of the detail could have been fleshed out.

Milou | 486 comments But how are the Dukes stopping getting the heir on the throne. Did they kill everyone off? That seems kind of tricky, seeing as there will always be some very distant cousin. So are they then all too scared? Seeing as every single person with some sort of power seems to be a massive asshole, the dukes but also all previous kings, it wouldn't take that long for the dukes to be okay with someone I would think. But if it's that hard, how can there be any hope in the 'great plan' of the king to sleep around?

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the read a lot and will defenitely continue with the series. I'm probably just overthinking it too much (which is def something I do with a lot of books way too often).

message 5: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
It is explained a bit more as the books go on but each dukedom is pretty much its own Kingdom and any choice for King or Queen has to be voted on by them. They would rather see the throne empty than give power to anyone that suits another duke. Not all successions are based on blood relations. When someone eventually gets to the thrones it would require a ridiculous amount of political moving or an emergency.

message 6: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I do agree that the king sleeping around concept is a bit naive with that being the situation. Maybe the King hoped he could have been on the throne longer or that the Greatcoats could have more influence once he was gone.

message 7: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
The sword fight with the Saint is odd in that its breezed through when the others are so detailed out. There are a lot more such duels in the later books though so we see more of it. The sword fighting stuff is amazingly detailed.
For the best of the fights you really feel drawn in to it.

Milou | 486 comments Okay, thank you :)

message 9: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
The stuff in the background is developed a lot more as the books go on. :-). The magic stuff gets very interesting

message 10: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
No problem, Sarah ;) No need for fancy pants!

I meant to start this thread a few days ago, but was otherwise distracted. I read this on Kindle, and I read it in 2 days. Since Kindle books normally take me a LOT longer to read than physical copies, I think this sums up how much I enjoyed the book. It was just what I needed to satisfy my fantasy craving :) Not too overly complicated, but still a nicely built fantasy world. Characters that aren't perfect. And I just have something about guilds/societies, love them!

message 11: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Did you join the Greatcoats Rinn. :-)

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Totally would just for that coat!

message 13: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I got an official crest and everything ;-)

Sarah (sarahcd89) | 39 comments I'm glad no fancy pants were required as I didn't really do that during hurricane curfew either.

I'll agree that the weird prostitute chick was one of my least favorite parts. I don't think it made sense. And whatever magic sexy times failed to accomplish whatever goal she intended? And she's one of the loose ends I feel like we're unlikely to see again as the Flacio says he doubts he'll ever see her again. Very strange.

message 15: by Thomas (last edited Oct 09, 2016 07:34PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Thomas Fleet | 16 comments Man, I cannot finish this book! When I got to Chapter 5, the flashback chapter involving Falcio's wife, I started skimming, for no particular reason. And I’m glad I did, because I got enough from skimming to realize that some very ugly stuff happens in that chapter. Too much. I never really liked that “have horrible stuff happen so you can set up a revenge story” thing, which seems to be where it's going. And if there's no revenge, that's much worse.

message 16: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Sarah, we definitely do see the strange prostitute again. Its a plotline to be developed as the books go on.

message 17: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Sarah, we definitely do see the strange prostitute again. Its a plotline to be developed as the books go on."

I think it worked in this story, it showed the relationship of the Dukes to the commoners in all it's gory details.

message 18: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
I just finished this book off and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit, it took me a while to get used to the narrator's style. At first I didn't like it at all but it grew on me and I became a fan of Falcio.

I didn't see any of the twists coming, that may be because I was watching football at the same time so wasn't spending a ton of time thinking about everything. I am quite interested in seeing some background on the Tailor and like others have said, I was quite disappointed in missing the swordfight between Kest and the saint.

message 19: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Book 3 really gets into what the tailor actually is , its very interesting ;-)

message 20: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pretty sure my brain is fried at the moment. I'm trying to think of more to say about this one than 'I REALLY LIKED IT PLEASE ALL READ IT NOW' and 'Give me the next book asap', but alas, I cannot.

Please send brain cells, thx.

message 21: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Sounds like a good response Rinn.
I got in on this series from the start so pretty much read each of them on release. Plus the covers were so good I had to get the special editions so they look so good on my shelves.
Still think Falcio has potentially become my favourite fantasy narrator.

message 22: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah I feel a bit sad that I have it on Kindle even if it was £0.99, because the cover = <3

I loved his narration! I can't think of too many fantasy novels told from first person view to be honest.

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1290 comments Rinn wrote: "Pretty sure my brain is fried at the moment. I'm trying to think of more to say about this one than 'I REALLY LIKED IT PLEASE ALL READ IT NOW' and 'Give me the next book asap', but alas, I cannot.
..."

Ha! That sums up my thoughts too. I loved this book, but can't really explain why. I found some of it predictable, some of it seemed to play magical get out of jail free cards that I usually hate, and yes, it did get a bit graphic at times. I think the best way I can think of to describe why I enjoyed it is that I really relaxed into the writing style and that happened very early on in the book. I knew it was a character POV that I'd get on with and just enjoyed seeing where things went. Plus I think the readers are supposed to figure things out before Falcio, there are loads of hints about Aline and Trin, and it certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment.

Glad to hear there's more coming about the tailor and the magic system. Plenty more to be explored there :-)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments I read this back in January (and am now current with the series) and enjoyed the swashbuckleness of it all. It was a lot of fun despite having some pretty dark events. Falcio is great but Brasti is my favorite. :-)

message 25: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Brasti is great comic relief but Falcio is still my favourite :-)

Shawnie | 1739 comments Roger wrote: "I just finished this book off and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit, it took me a while to get used to the narrator's style. At first I didn't like it at all but it grew on me and I becam..."

Maybe the swordfight with the saint will be a flashback in a later book. We learn a lot about our characters in flashbacks. I would love to see it as well.

message 27: by Shawnie (last edited Oct 12, 2016 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawnie | 1739 comments The last scene with Aline and Falcio tore me up! I'm a Falcio fan also. :) And the big kiss at the end... HAHA!! Not the usual grand finale kiss. Sooo funny!

Shawnie | 1739 comments I should get my thoughts together so I don't have a bunch of posts... :-)

I loved Monster. I'm always a sucker for the animal characters.

message 29: by Lel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1802 comments I loved this book! Though now I feel a little stupid as I didn't see any of the twists like Aline's parentage or Trin. :(

The book had a good mix between dark and light for me, I would have found it very unrealistic if there wasn't the dark moments of the original Aline or Bal's and Monsters horrific treatment.

The humor between the Greatcoats reminded me very much of the relationships in James Barclay's Chronicles Of The Ravens.

I didn't really see the point of the scenes between Falcio and Ethalia. Although I assumed that this would be explored more later in the series.

The only thing I would criticize the book for is the lack of uncertainty. I have no doubt in my head that the series will end with all the main characters alive and the 'Greatcoats' restored to their intended position in the world.

Can't wait to read the rest, thank you Christine and Paul for nominating it.

message 30: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I agree with the lack of uncertainty. For the series to work there isnt many ways to end it all. But the journey is what will make it great or not.

message 31: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Erwin | 112 comments I found this great fun. I never would have picked it up without this group, so I'm glad for that.

There was almost non-stop action in this, which is not what I usually look for. In many books, I mentally tune out in fight scenes. But somehow the many sword fights in this one were described in such a way that they kept me interested. In part it was the witty dialog.

But that thing that I enjoyed so much was also the thing that feels the most false. The main characters were like comic-book superheros. They are pretty much invincible. They can take beating after beating and still fight back and still keep up a brave face and witty chatter. (This was the most unrealistic during the gory torture scene. I could easily have done without that scene.)

The author tried to introduce a little more realism by having two characters consider giving in and killing themselves with poison. But there was never any real uncertainty in my mind that they would prevail.

It was fun overall, despite my few misgivings. Just don't expect anything very deep.

Shawnie | 1739 comments I also don't usually love a book that's mostly action, but I feel like I know these characters pretty well and feel so invested in them. I found their invincibility and mad fighting skills funny (in a good way) at times. It was highly entertaining.

Christina (daria1275) | 607 comments This was the first book I have nominated that ever won. Yay! I loved, loved, loved this book. I only read the very briefest reviews on it, so I really didn't know what to expect from it other than it was Three Musketeerish. I totally agree that there were some holes and definitely a lot of stuff that needs to be covered in the next books (which I am somewhat patiently waiting to get until I get paid), but I think for me the story, combined with the camaraderie, humor and sometimes heartbreak just did it for me. I think I was waiting for a book to really grab me and this one did.

I actually really enjoyed the fight scenes although I do admit there were quite a bit of them.

message 34: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Then thank you SO MUCH for nominating, Christina! Definitely an epic fantasy series I will be continuing :D