What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Brave Sister: A Story from the Arabian Nights
This topic is about The Brave Sister
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. picture book, girl with star on her forehead rescues brothers turned to stone [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Siavahda (new) - added it

Siavahda | 13 comments I read this book in 2001, so it was published in that year or earlier. It was an illustrated fairy tale/picture book, the art reminiscent of Olwyn Whelan's work, but not one of hers. The story was about three siblings - a boy with a sun on his forehead, a boy with a moon on his forehead, and their sister with a star on her forehead. I think they were the children of the king, but they were stolen at birth and placed in a river, where they were each in turn rescued by a couple who raised them as their own. (Possibly woodcutters?) At some point when they grew up the brothers each went on a quest; I think the story as a whole followed the Dancing Water/Singing Apple/Speaking Bird fairy tale. The two brothers end up turned into stone, and the sister goes out to rescue them. With the help of a talking bird she does so, and in the end the siblings are revealed as princes and princesses, I think. The book was in English, but I bought it in Frankfurt. It was not a collection of stories, just the one story, illustrated.

Been looking for this book for years and years, can anybody help me?

message 2: by Kris (last edited Oct 10, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Kris | 33315 comments Mod
The Well of the Wind by Alan Garner?

"...three tasks, foster children with surprising identities, and even a spinning building. The narrative begins with a fisherman finding two babies in a crystal box. They have a red silk cloth between them, from which the man fashions headbands to hide the stars on the children's foreheads. Their guardian dies when the youngsters are half grown, leaving them in his shack on the beach. Then a witch starts coming around, sending the boy off on quests designed to kill him. With a little help from a thin man on the road, he survives the first two trials, but does not return from the third. It is up to his whistling sister to achieve a happy conclusion, which of course is a reunion, not only of the siblings, but also of the children and their birth parents, the king and queen."

"In this haunting, enigmatic tale, a pair of abandoned children unwittingly embark on a quest. A benevolent fisherman discovers a brother and sister floating in a crystal box and takes them into his home, then dies. Next a witch attempts to endanger the siblings by sending the boy on magical missions in which death seems certain: to the springs of silver, to the acorns of gold and to the Well of the Wind. Each time, the boy is saved from peril by warnings from "a thin man in the woods"Auntil the last, when the child disappears and the girl's search for him leads them both back to their parents."

Worldcat.org search -- Keywords: illustrations sister brothers stone quest | 1950-2004 | Juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

Reference link - similar to Olwyn Whelan's style of art/illustration

message 3: by Siavahda (new) - added it

Siavahda | 13 comments Kris wrote: "The Well of the Wind by Alan Garner?

"...three tasks, foster children with surprising identities, and even a spinning building. The narrative begins with a fisherman f..."

No, alas, that's definitely not it (although I am definitely going to grab a copy of it, because it sounds wonderful!) The story followed that of the Dancing Water fairytale - there was a talking bird and magical water involved, definitely, and the older brothers being turned to stone, and the illustrations had a kind of Arabian Nights look/setting. The cover featured the daughter of the story on a horse, I think, and I'm very sure that only the daughter had a star on her forehead - the older brothers had a sun and a moon marked on their foreheads, respectively.

Thank you though!

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments I don't see the girl having star on star on the forehead on the cover but The Brave Sister: A Story from the Arabian Nights?

The Rose's Smile: Farizad of the Arabian Nights appears to be retelling of the same tale but with one brother instead of two.

message 5: by Siavahda (new) - added it

Siavahda | 13 comments Ayshe wrote: "I don't see the girl having star on star on the forehead on the cover but The Brave Sister: A Story from the Arabian Nights?

[book:The Rose's Smile: Farizad of the Arabian Nights|910..."

That's it! The first one! Oh, thank you thank you THANK YOU! I have been trying to find out what book it was for YEARS, and that's definitely it! EE THANK YOU <3

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Great! You're welcome