World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Women as the first 3-d printers -:)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments Since it's Saturday around, above and underneath, about time for some lighter themes-:)

3d printers is probably one of the modern Wonders of the World. Miraculously, they print things from houses to human tissues. Sci-fi turns non-fic here and now!
What's the degree of the novelty though? Can't women be deemed as 3-d baby printers on top of many other magical capabilities they seem to harbor?
The 3-d output of men, is hardly worth mentioning... -:)

message 2: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2099 comments Just like how we can order up the objects with the 3-D printer, people can almost "order-up" a baby if you choose to see in-vitro in such a light. And with our advancements in genetics, it probably won't be long before people actually "design" their babies.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments Yeah, in your example the resemblence is even stronger -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments and quite creepy. We have current and historical examples of eugenics gone awry. Mother nature requires balance.

message 5: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2099 comments If the doctors adopt the Monsato model, you will only have a "license" to your child. And if that child grows up and tries to have his or her own children without permission, you'll end up with a lawsuit for violating the license...

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments J.J. wrote: "If the doctors adopt the Monsato model, you will only have a "license" to your child. And if that child grows up and tries to have his or her own children without permission, you'll end up with a l..."

Wait. What?

message 7: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2099 comments Monsato and the other seed producers hold patents on the products they sell. When farmers buy seed for their fields, they're only buying a license to use those seeds. That license prevents them from cultivating seeds for the next generation of crops, and farmers have been sued for propagating seeds for future harvests.

I was kind of envisioning a future where the researchers who develop eugenics for human development adopt the same model. The geneticists receive patents on their research. They genetically engineer your child, but they make you sign the agreements and forms stating you don't actually "own" your child, you're only "licensing" him/her. And when the kid grows up and starts a family, you could be sued for creating new offspring from the geneticist's work without their permission...because it violates their patent.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments J.J. wrote: "Monsato and the other seed producers hold patents on the products they sell. When farmers buy seed for their fields, they're only buying a license to use those seeds. That license prevents them fro..."

Why wouldn't the child alone be liable once they were 18?

message 9: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2099 comments Because the parents were the ones who signed the agreement... :D

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Yes but only people who are legally competent can enter into or be bound by the terms of the contract. If the children reach the age of legal majority they are only bound to the new contract they would have to sign with the eugenics company. The parents' contract would dissolve when the child turned 18, just like parents can be arrested for their child's truancy until the child turns 16.

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments I think J.J. makes somewhat humorous extrapolation and application of Monsanto's genetically engineered grains policies onto eugenics, so that a genetically modified 'perfect child' would be allowed to reproduce only subject to a purchase of a new license.
Sounds incredible/borderline atrocious, but who knows where we are heading with eugenics, cloning and stuff like that...

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Awesome sci-fi prompt.

message 13: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2099 comments Yeah, it is totally a fictitious sci-fi scenario, hence why I bring it up only because this thread was posted in one of the fun categories...and because of that I do enjoy Tara's take on the legal aspect of the scenario.

message 14: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments What's your opinion on bio 3d printers?

message 15: by Graeme (last edited Jul 16, 2017 06:44AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7067 comments The iGENE corp's sinister manifesto to own and copyright the human genome was but a hair's breadth away from completion when their data was mysteriously hacked and made available online for a price.

Now Government agents, corporate operatives and free-lancing guns for hire are all after the hacker.

Will he be found? Will he escape? Will iGENE succeed in gaining ownership of everyone's genetic code for all time, or will the hacker bring down a mighty corporate and half a dozen collusive government agencies?

Read "Gene Fury" to find out.

Due for release this winter at a bookstore near you....

message 16: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5168 comments Man, Nik, your genius topics:) Women as 3-D printers. As far as men's contributions, I guess sperm hasn't been replaced yet. Or has it?

message 17: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments Scout wrote: "Man, Nik, your genius topics:) Women as 3-D printers. As far as men's contributions, I guess sperm hasn't been replaced yet. Or has it?"

The way it looks, won't take too long. Who needs men really? -:)

message 18: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5168 comments There's always the plumbing :) And Tinder would go broke without you guys.

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments So, do you think women's monopoly on babies' production will hold on for a while or will it crack and give way to emerging alternatives? -:)

message 20: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5168 comments What did I read years ago about baby farms? Producing babes without parents? Do you know what book this was?

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments Scout wrote: "What did I read years ago about baby farms? Producing babes without parents? Do you know what book this was?"

No, but the concept rings a bell

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne Attias (anneattias) | 50 comments Must reply to your last two topics about regeneration and baby farms. I have just completed a book called Prototype which is in the process of being edited. It deals with all these issues including genetic modification, cloning, artificial versus nature etc. The scary part is that when I was doing my research, these things like designer babies etc. were all really happening globally. Many aspects of modern life are artificial, imitation, false, copies, unauthentic, computer experts can even produce fake bulletins using real images and authentic voices. It is really alarming.

message 23: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments Anne wrote: "I have just completed a book called Prototype which is in the process of being edited...."

Congrats and best of luck with it once it is aired!
Yes, technologically we are there or almost there to be able to create humans or human tissues much like in a god's manner. It becomes super important not to err what is 'yes' and what is 'no' and to have a global concord on it.

message 24: by Anne (new)

Anne Attias (anneattias) | 50 comments Happy New Year and well over the fast if appropriate.

message 25: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments Thanks and Shana Tova to all those who celebrate!

message 26: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments Since part of the globe celebrates International Women's Day, just wanted to congratulate and send best wishes to a better half of humanity!

message 27: by Natalya (new)

Natalya Kogut Kunytska | 1 comments yeah, more common to clebrate spring origin of women, not the rights of women)))

message 28: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13056 comments Natalya wrote: "yeah, more common to clebrate spring origin of women, not the rights of women)))"

Hi Natalya & welcome! Glad that spring and celebration lured you out of shadows :)

message 29: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5168 comments I'll accept your best wishes, Nik.