World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > World and Writing

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mehreen (last edited Oct 08, 2016 12:59AM) (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments What makes politicians like Trump and books like Fifty Shades of Grey infamously famous?

message 2: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2151 comments With Trump, I would say it's all personality and I am only stating that in terms of Trump before his run for the White House. It seems among other types, we love people with larger than life personalities, and we love people who are bad and create drama. Seems every time I come across an ad for the Bachelor/Bachelorette, it always showcases something bad one of the men does, accompanied by clips of someone behaving badly. I feel like ads for Survivor and Big Brother always feature the contestants in some sort of pissing match. And Hell's Kitchen was one I can watch, but it's starting to grate on me because they're devoting more and more of the show's time to feature the fighting between the contestants in their down time instead of focusing on the actual competition. Trump and his antics may not be the recipe for a President, but boy do we as a society love watching the Trump Show - we love watching him turn politics into the zoo it has become

As for Fifty Shades, I was just thinking last night about creating a thread speculating on why books like this get so big. The major trend in Indie publishing, and the advice many give to those looking to be successful is to follow the trends - write what sells - basically copy what's already out there. But while romance has been around for decades, I doubt there was anything like Fifty Shades around (then again it's not my fancy, so I could be wrong). It seems to me this was one of those books people didn't know they wanted until someone decided to put it out. I would have to say that being first made it famous because it had no competition. And by the time the competition came out, it already had the name recognition and notoriety to stay on top.

message 3: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments J.J. wrote: "With Trump, I would say it's all personality and I am only stating that in terms of Trump before his run for the White House. It seems among other types, we love people with larger than life person..."

Is Fifty Shades as notorious as Lolita? Or Trumps trumped up publicity gave him that status, a much needed comic relief. In either case it is the publicity that's made them. Knock the winds out of their and they would both fall flat.