The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
This topic is about The Subtle Knife
His Dark Materials > TSK: General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
So if this month isn't crazy enough with new releases, we schedule this one. Whose in?

I may start late. Or I may put my current audio book on hold to start in the 10th.

If anyone is doing the text, would you be willing to make the sections? I can do it from the audio, but I find it a lot harder.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Since no one has chimed in yet, should I postpone this? Or cancel it?

I still plan to read this, but I'm not in a hurry to do so, so I'm good delaying it until a better time if you guys would like.

message 3: by Jaime (new) - added it

Jaime | 97 comments I'm okay with delaying it. I started playing a MMO again after a two year break and well there's been a lot of catching up to do. :)

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Oct 11, 2016 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh yeah? What MMO? WoW's been cutting my reading time way down. I believe it's cutting into Suzanne's as well.

What would be a good time for delaying it to?

message 5: by Jaime (new) - added it

Jaime | 97 comments Ffxiv realm reborn. I used to play WOW but that was quite some time ago (last expansion I played was Wrath of Lich King I believe) :)

A couple of weeks would be good or we can put it in the third book's slot in November. Whatever works for everyone else

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

WotLK is probably WoW's peak. A lot of people quit then. I haven't played many FF games for some reason. Just 7 and 10. Probably because I was never a PlayStation person. Of course it's on other platforms now.

I think the November slot might work better for me, but I have a road trip later this month, so that might work just as well since I'm doing the audio.

I'm not sure who else plans to join us though.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I would like to read it, but November is a lot better. October has been aaaaaargh.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

I bumped it back to 11/15 (which was when we were supposed to do book 3) but I can probably do it just as soon as I finish The Blood Mirror, which could be as early as next week due to an upcoming road trip.

I'm happy to wait until the 15th though.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Thanks - and yes I guess see when you actually start.

I have a lot of book reading obligations that will free up in 1.5 weeks, so I could possibly get to it sooner as well.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah. I'm pretty overwhelmed by my book plans atm.

My current audio load is lighter though. I just have Lines of Departure which I'll finish today. The Blood Mirror which should finish up next week sometime and that's it at the moment (next on my audio radar is Babylon's Ashes in December).

Where I'm really backed up is in my text reading.

Currently about 30% into A Closed and Common Orbit and then I need to read the October S&L pick The Golem and the Jinni, which I probably won't start until November at this point unless I make good progress by Thursday.

Not to mention whatever the November S&L pick is. I can cheat this month since I'm missing the S&L meetup this weekend, but I want to be caught up by next month, which may be meeting early due to Thanksgiving.

Oh and then we're supposed to do Ninefox Gambit later in November too. I may have to see if I can do that in audio, or I may have to skip it/push it to December..

message 11: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

So do you guys have a preference between November 1st and 15th? I need to figure out what other book(s) to load up for my trip this weekend.

message 12: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1175 comments I'm still on TGC, so I'll be late to the party, as usual.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Either November date is ok - so if it works better for you do to it on the 1st (and sounds like it might with the trip) - then that is fine!

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have plenty of other stuff to listen to, but depending on what the S&L pick is (I'm hoping they announce that in the next podcast, which I think comes out today) I may try to do that in audio because I'm so behind on my reading and falling farther behind (Thanks WoW 7.1!) by the day..

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

OK, so I'm almost done with my current book. I'll probably try to squeeze Scalzi's new short story in there, but then I can start on this.

Alternatively I can find something else to listen to for a week. What is everyone else thinking in terms of scheduling?

message 16: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1175 comments Like I said, I'll probably read it after everyone else has finished :)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm ok with starting it fairly soon. After this weekend, my book schedule becomes more flexible (I've been doing this long group challenge, and it has sidetracked some of my reading, although it's not the main culprit).

message 18: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hopefully Jaime weighs in with a more definitive opinion. If not, I'll just leave he schedule as is, and find something else to read next week.

message 19: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

No word from Jaime, but I'm starting today.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Ok! I'll get it downloaded. Just finished two days of grading, and hopefully can find a bit more chance to read.

message 21: by Jaime (new) - added it

Jaime | 97 comments Sorry about the disappearing act. First I had issues with my phone and after that there was adult life and the holidays. I am reading it now.

message 22: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Welcome back Jamie. I hope you had a nice holiday.