Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #2)
This topic is about Return of the Crimson Guard
Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Return of the Crimson Guard [March 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Starting November 6th. Anybody beside Jenna and I?

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Apparently not, but I'll be here.

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm assuming you won't be done with RG by the 6th?

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "I'm assuming you won't be done with RG by the 6th?"

I'm going to try! I'm on chapter 18 now.

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna wrote: "
I'm going to try! I'm on chapter 18 now."

I have to squeeze in the B&KB book to stay with the recommended order so I could give a small grace period. I still have Hyperion and Warbreaker later this month so I can't afford too large of one.

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "
I'm going to try! I'm on chapter 18 now."

I have to squeeze in the B&KB book to stay with the recommended order so I could give a small grace period. I still have Hyperion and Warbr..."

Yeah, I'm also going to try to read the B&KB book in between as well. How about we start this one on the 8th? Is that alright?

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

That works.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Night of Knives: 86k
Return of the Crimson Guard: 275k
Stonewielder: 234k
Orb Sceptre Throne: 218k
Blood and Bone: 227k
Assail: 207k

So for context this is over 3X as long as NOK. For book of the fallen reference.

Gardens of the Moon: 204k
Deadhouse Gates: 267k
Memories of Ice: 355k
House of Chains: 302k
Midnight Tides: 267k
The Bonehunters: 358k
Reaper’s Gale: 382k
Toll the Hounds: 389k
Dust of Dreams: 370k
The Crippled God: 380k

So only a little longer than DHG and MT but the longest of the ICE books. I'll start tomorrow as planned but likely finishing Tyrant's Law will take up most of my available reading time. Thus I won't really dig in until the day after.

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm through chapter two. I've been busy so this has been a slow go. Enjoyable but not SE enjoyable. It was nice at the end of the chapter to (view spoiler). I have to wonder about (view spoiler)

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "I'm through chapter two. I've been busy so this has been a slow go. Enjoyable but not SE enjoyable. It was nice at the end of the chapter to [spoilers removed]. I have to wonder about [spoilers rem..."

I just finished chapter two and yeah, the ending of the chapter was pretty great. So far, I can't say too intrigued by any of the characters. Kyle seems alright, but Traveler's story is pretty boring.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I at page 227 of the kindle version about halfway through chapter 5 and it gets better.

message 12: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Also, what kind of name is Kyle in Malazan?!

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I hate the name too.

Lundos | 392 comments A crappy one. I don't know what they were thinking. It ruined the character for me.
Traveller is a quite interesting character. I don't remember that story line being boring.
But you need to read this one. All of it. So much is going on in the end that you need to know before continuing SE.

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Nov 14, 2016 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lundos wrote: "A crappy one. I don't know what they were thinking. It ruined the character for me.
Traveller is a quite interesting character. I don't remember that story line being boring.
But you need to read..."

I had Traveller figured out a few books ago being (view spoiler)

We've been doing the recommended reading order and time after time I'm so glad we are. Things fill in so nicely.

Lundos | 392 comments Scott wrote: "Spoiler"
We've been doing the recommended reading order and time after time I'm so glad we are. Things fill in so nicely.

I don't comment on spoilers. ;)

When I reread it I will do it in the right order. I think more of the hints will be appreciated and there really is a lot extra fun if you know what to look for. That is the beauty of (especially SE) the Malazan world.

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through book one

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "Through book one

The Crimson Guard is quite the mess. ."

Agreed.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Nov 15, 2016 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The (view spoiler)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let this be the way Mallick gets knifed!!!

Mid book 2 chapter 1.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have to say I wish these chapters weren't all so F'ing long. By the time I get to the end and go do the TOR re-read I've moved away from points I had at the start of the chapters.

Part 2 chapter 3

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm on part 2 as well, but I am really struggling with this one. I have to force myself to read.

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

For the most part I like it but there's a few story lines I don't love.

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm on page 452/699 in my Kindle version. The last 85 pages this has gotten a lot better. There's some dynamite action scenes and some dramatic personae we haven't seen in a bit.

message 24: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "I'm on page 452/699 in my Kindle version. The last 85 pages this has gotten a lot better. There's some dynamite action scenes and some dramatic personae we haven't seen in a bit."

Yes I am on book 2 chapter 5 and it's FINALLY starting to pick up.

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished part 2 chapter 5. By far the best chapter of the book to date.

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "Finished part 2 chapter 5. By far the best chapter of the book to date. "

Honestly, it was very hard for this to be the best chapter so far because all of the other ones mostly sucked....this book may or may not put me in a slump. I am just not enjoying it.

On your last point, yeah, I was not really upset at all, but if SE had written it, I'm sure I would have needed to break out the tissue box.

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sorry you aren't enjoying it. Part 2 Chapter 6 is also very good. For me the first half of the book was a 3* but the second half a 5*.

message 28: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Up until part 2 chapter 5 it's been a 2 (being generous) and after that chapter, it's a 4 for me.

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

The second half of this book has been phenomenal. I'm up to 620/699 and the convergence has been going on for almost 200 pages with more and more entering the fray.

message 30: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

The second half is definitely much better. After part 2 ch5, it really started to pick up.

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Nov 24, 2016 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm done. Terrific second half minus two moments.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "I'm done. Terrific second half minus two moments. "

I think I will finish tomorrow. AND I JUST RUINED IT. I clicked reply and in the reply, the spoiler opened!!!! So I just saw the beginning of your comment....
WHAAAAAAAAAT!?

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

So sorry. It has the brackets I'm not sure why it wouldn't come up with spoilers removed.

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "So sorry. It has the brackets I'm not sure why it wouldn't come up with spoilers removed."

It's not your fault; I don't know why it happened either.

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luckily I didn't reveal a few other big things that I'll now wait on.

message 36: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "I'm done. Terrific second half minus two moments.

[spoiler]"

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn | 460 comments I bought gardens of the moon and night of knives. Both are Malayan. Which one I should read first?

message 39: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric | 101 comments http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan... This is the "new readers" zone on the malazan wiki and there is a link to the suggested reading order page near the top. It suggests reading gardens of moon as the first book.

message 40: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Quinn wrote: "I bought gardens of the moon and night of knives. Both are Malayan. Which one I should read first?"

https://www.goodreads.com/series/1739...

This is a very clear list of what Eric posted. Gardens of the Moon should be read first and Night of Knives comes much later in the recommended order.

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

As a huge Malazan fan I cannot stress enough how using the recommended reading list has made the experience that much better. There's little things in the other books which make a lot more sense having read the other series.

There's a page here for GOTM. If you post we'll all reply to it and I believe there's a DHG read starting soon as well.

message 42: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn | 460 comments Thank you guys! whew that is a long list! just out of curious why start reading two different malazan by two different authors at the same time? According to the list these two books are far apart.

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

There is a lot of cross over of characters and the timeline of the stories. Half the main characters in Night of Knives which is the first book in Empire have been long introduced before you get to that book. The you flip back to book #6 The Bonehunters in Fallen and there's a few characters introduced in Night of Knives. Return of the Crimson Guard tells the story of a lot of characters previously held almost in myth but then they cross over again in Toll the Hounds.

The recommended reading order is the way to go.

message 44: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 14th April.

message 45: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buddy Read now starts 1st March.

Miche | 2939 comments Angela wrote: "Buddy Read now starts 1st March."

Yay!

message 47: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miche I probably won't get to this until around the 5th.

message 48: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 2041 comments I'm gonna skip the Esselmont books and read through the Erikson books first. I'll keep an eye on this list as it progresses.

Other commitments and all that. I certainly wish everyone here a very enjoyable read as I scoot off to the Servant of the Empire on another thread...

message 49: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Enjoy Servant of the Empire Graeme. I love that series.

Miche, I'll be starting this one tomorrow :-).

message 50: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just started and I see this one has a couple of characters we've seen in Erikson's books. I wonder how Esselmont will write them.

« previous 1 3