Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Six Scary Stories
This topic is about Six Scary Stories
Nov-Dec 2016 Six Scary Stories > General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (last edited Oct 07, 2016 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Six Scary Stories

Stephen King discovered these stories when he judged a competition run by Hodder & Stoughton and the Guardian to celebrate publication of his own collection The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. He was so impressed with the entries that he recommended they were published together in one book.

I won't be able to get started on this right away in November, because my hardcover isn't being shipped until October 31st. Those who got it on Kindle will be ahead of those waiting on a hard copy.

message 2: by Rach (new) - added it

Rach (reeniebell) | 17 comments Debra wrote: "Six Scary Stories

Stephen King discovered these stories when he judged a competition run by Hodder & Stoughton and the Guardian to celebrate publication of his own collection The B..."

Thank you, Debra! I somehow missed all news of this competition, but I look forward to reading the results.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Hmmm... looks like it's only available in Canada in trade paperback ($20.00) or hardcover. It's not available at my library or connected libraries, so I will likely sit this one out. :(

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I intend to join in although I'm not sure on whether I'll get all the stories read or not.

I'm wondering if we should abandon this one and choose something else. I know Janice can't get it, and only Sarah and I are showing interest. What do you think?

message 6: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I don't mind. I'm easy. I cannot guarantee my participation either way at the moment as i have quite a lot of work on at the moment.

Larissa | 270 comments I'm game with whatever people want to do. I like King's short stories, and would hope these would be of similar quality, but I do prefer novels. I got way behind on essays last month and so had to read and post all over the course of a couple days---but I'm not drowning in papers yet (...YET...) so I can post more leisurely now. I do like the conversations on here, so I guess that's what I vote for: whatever gets people talking. :)

message 8: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I'm quite happy to cancel this book considering that I can't get it.

I'm curious as to why we've stopped nominating and voting for our group reads. I think it might make people feel more invested in reading the book that gets chosen. It seems that participation has dropped off. Granted, there does seem to be a general lethargy all over Goodreads.

Whatever we decide, I'm likely to be awol till the latter part of November. Going on holiday and not taking my laptop or logging in with my phone.

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Holden | 115 comments I didn't realise we had stopped nominating and voting - just thought I had missed notifications. I am up for a Nov/Dec read as have more time now changed jobs. One member of the U.K. Contingent in for a good read whether this book or another

We stopped doing nominations and polls for the last couple of group reads because, although we were getting a lot of participation in those tasks, we were not getting a lot of participation in the discussion threads. I was taking recommendations from those who have updated me with new books Stephen King recommended and the last few discussions have been better.

However, because the next group read doesn't look like it will really work out for most people, I'm going to send out an email to the members and ask for nominations, set up a poll, and we'll read the book that wins.

My apologies for confusing everyone.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 24 comments I already ordered this one. Can we still discuss it at some point? I expect some people will have ordered it just as I have.

I will leave it up for discussion and just add a second book for the next 2 months. I ordered it, too, Kim, and would love to have people discuss it with me.

message 13: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I'll have it when released in the US (whenever that is) so will look forward to the discussions!

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Debra wrote: "I will leave it up for discussion and just add a second book for the next 2 months. I ordered it, too, Kim, and would love to have people discuss it with me."

That's a great idea!

message 15: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Fredette Can't seem to get it on my kindle

That's strange. It came out on Kindle first. It's not being released in hardcover until the 31st.

message 17: by Janice (last edited Oct 25, 2016 07:54PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Christine wrote: "Can't seem to get it on my kindle"

That's because it's not available in Canada on Kindle. It's only available in hardcover or paperback. It's the same problem I had, Christine.

ETA: Right now those two formats are available for pre-order. It looks like the book is being released on Oct 31.

message 18: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I think in the UK only the kindle version is published. When i originally posted about the book in the blurb thread, i had written that it was coming out at the end of October then i had to edit it when i realised i could buy the kindle version already. I really don't understand why different formats come out qt different times, or different dates in different countries. It's stupid.

Weird! That is stupid!

message 20: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I don't get it myself. If the hardcover and paperback are available for pre-order, why is the Kindle book not available at all?

message 21: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Fredette Thank you everyone!

message 22: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Starting it now! (US Kindle)

My hardcover was shipped to me today. Looking forward to it.

message 24: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Fredette Well its November 1 and still can't get this book. Never read a s king book (insert gasp here) but this book looked like a good start. Looked for digital form as well as paper form in my local
Book store. Urgh!!

message 25: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I guess it's just too new for libraries yet Christine and I guess some bookstores. How about joining us for the other group read instead? You might have more luck finding that one.

If you want a King read, I'd try one of his novels. This book is compiled by him and probably has written an intro or forward but the stories aren't by him.

I ordered mine directly from the publisher, Cemetery Dance. Amazon has it, too. However, it's not cheap.

As Sarah said, it will only have comments from King about the winning entries. Definitely pick something written by him since you are a newbie. I'm sure we can all make some wonderful recommendations!

message 27: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Fredette I am out. Next time...

message 28: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 1 comments I have it and want to discuss it if anyone else does. Otherwise I will put it aside for now.

Larissa | 270 comments Nice little appetizer!