The Page Turners Book Club discussion

Night Film
This topic is about Night Film
October 2016 > Spoiler-free Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chelsea | 40 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss your initial thoughts as you start this book, stare at the beautiful cover or get hype over the synopsis! Remember to keep spoilers out of this!

Finally started reading today. Started off with the audiobook just for my commute to and from work and I all ready feel like I'm missing out on content. Switching over to physical book! I'm on chapter 8 currently and I'm all ready digging the color symbolism and WHAT IS IN THE BOX!? Anyone else?

message 3: by Shana (new)

Shana Potter Monroe | 15 comments I ordered a copy of eBay but it's taking forever to get here. I'm gonna jump in as soon as I get it can't wait

Katie Holem (bluepixieofthegalaxy) | 17 comments I love all the different elements in the book! It reminds me a little bit of Illuminae and it's so intriguing!

Perfumegirl | 23 comments me too, Shana, watching my mailbox...its always the one you need fast that seems to come the slowest....Waiting patiently....

message 6: by Shana (new)

Shana Potter Monroe | 15 comments perfumegirl I just got it in the mail today. I'm about 60 pages in and I'm liking it. hope u get your copy soon

Perfumegirl | 23 comments Shana wrote: "perfumegirl I just got it in the mail today. I'm about 60 pages in and I'm liking it. hope u get your copy soon"

Thanks Shana...I hope so, sounds like everyone is liking it. I love thrillers but this will be a new author for me.

message 8: by Shana (new)

Shana Potter Monroe | 15 comments I wanna know so bad what's in the box! wow just got a Seven flashbavk...lol!

Katie Holem (bluepixieofthegalaxy) | 17 comments Haha I think everyone wants to know what's in the black box! Hopefully we find out soon!

message 10: by Shana (new)

Shana Potter Monroe | 15 comments is anyone else having a hard time getting through this book? I don't usually read mystery thrillers and I'm really kinda bored. I want to finish reading it but it's taking me forever because I can only read a couple chapters then I put it down. any advice?!

Shana wrote: "I ordered a copy of eBay but it's taking forever to get here. I'm gonna jump in as soon as I get it can't wait"

Did you get it yet?!

Katie wrote: "I love all the different elements in the book! It reminds me a little bit of Illuminae and it's so intriguing!"

I really like that books are starting to do mixed content as a narrative. It adds so much!

Shana wrote: "I wanna know so bad what's in the box! wow just got a Seven flashbavk...lol!"

Right!? I still haven't learned and I'm about halfway through! Suspense!

Shana wrote: "is anyone else having a hard time getting through this book? I don't usually read mystery thrillers and I'm really kinda bored. I want to finish reading it but it's taking me forever because I can ..."

I can kinda relate. I'm mixing formats to keep it interesting. I've been listening to the audiobook on my commute to work but then I feel like I'm missing out on all the extra content but I have a hard time switching to actually reading it for long periods of time. I'm really intrigued but I think it could be somewhat condensed.

Katie Holem (bluepixieofthegalaxy) | 17 comments It definitely could be condensed. I haven't read as much this week, but that's probably because of my midterm that I need to finish for tomorrow. I try to read at night before I go to bed, but some nights I read maybe a page or two and then I'm done.

Perfumegirl | 23 comments Shana wrote: "is anyone else having a hard time getting through this book? I don't usually read mystery thrillers and I'm really kinda bored. I want to finish reading it but it's taking me forever because I can ..."

Shana I definitely understand, I was ready to give up, but I've now passed the 100 page mark and its finally got my interest, still gets slow in parts, I'm gonna hang in there.

message 17: by Shana (new)

Shana Potter Monroe | 15 comments I'm trying but I'm at 200 pages and they just keep going over the same stuff. I'm just not liking it

message 18: by Shana (new)

Shana Potter Monroe | 15 comments so thank you for the advice. I'm listening to audio book and following along so I don't miss the other media and it is helping!

Perfumegirl | 23 comments Is anyone enjoying this book?

Ok so I finished it last night. I'll keep everything spoiler free here. In the last third of the book things take off. It was very slow building up until that point and I admit that I zoned out off and on. Once I hit 2/3 of the way through though I couldn't stop. So if you're having doubts, give it a bit. If you don't want to finish it, that's fine and you're still welcome to join in the discussion if you want to find out the ending.

I personally really enjoyed it. Though the pacing is a bit slow, I think it was necessary to set up a lot of things that are important to the plot. Things that seemed mundane and trivial come back with importance and made me flip back to all the scenes I skimmed over. It left me with quite a blank slate mind funk for a few hours afterward to process. I think I'm still in that stage haha. Hope everyone else is enjoying it!

Perfumegirl | 23 comments Hi Chelsea,

I plan on finishing it, just hadn't seen anyone mentioning whether they liked it or not. I've made it to page 275 but it has definitely been slow going for me. I figured it had to pick up somewhere for it to have so many 4 and 5 star reviews, so glad to here I'm getting close to where it picks up. Thanks.

Katie Holem (bluepixieofthegalaxy) | 17 comments finally finished it! wow! that ending though!

Perfumegirl | 23 comments finally finished it....and am in the minority, I think. I found the book to be an absolute bore and have already placed it in my get rid of pile.

I don't understand all the 4 and 5 star ratings this book got.

Perfumegirl wrote: "finally finished it....and am in the minority, I think. I found the book to be an absolute bore and have already placed it in my get rid of pile.

I don't understand all the 4 and 5 star ratings th..."

I can actually understand why a lot of people felt the same way as you. I generally don't like books that I struggle to get through. I just really appreciated how it was written in the style of a horror film and things were revealed that way as well. If it didn't wrap up in the way that it did I would probably be in the same boat as you.

Katie wrote: "finally finished it! wow! that ending though!"

Right?!

Katie Holem (bluepixieofthegalaxy) | 17 comments If the book ended how I thought it was going to end, I would have been so mad! haha