World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Is Friday too early for a glass of Scotch?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Don't know about you, but I'm with a glass of Glen already.
Allowing for time zones, hope you can join soon -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments 1:54 p.m. EST. i'll have another tea lol. Cheers!

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Few droplets of liquor can add Friday into it -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Lol how about an Irish coffee?

message 5: by Nik (last edited Oct 07, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments That's a good starter!
Don't think coffee plant grows in Ireland, but they are good with supplements -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Nik wrote: "That's a good starter!
Don't think coffee plant grows in Ireland, but they are good with supplements -:)"

Lol!

message 7: by Kat (last edited Oct 07, 2016 11:13AM) (new)

Kat They do, in pots. My ex had a 7 ft coffee tree in the living room as a house plant.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Did any home made coffee come out of it?

message 9: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Nearly bedtime here so it's too late for another drink. I'll have one of my precious bottles of cider tomorrow I think, seeing as I have a friend bringing Normandy cider next week. Friends like that are a treasure!

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Never too late for a cider-:)

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Cider? Normandy? Why not go the whole hog and have a glass of Calvados!

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) It's Happy Hour somewhere, right?

message 13: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments I am pining away for Coffee.

message 14: by Michael (last edited Oct 07, 2016 09:19PM) (new)

Michael Fattorosi | 477 comments I think I will join you...

I got this bottle from a friend who played Eddie in the movie "The Hangover." I highly recommend it... its one of the best Scotch I have ever had.

It was a good day - I saved a little bunny that I found on my driveway. She had a broken leg and couldnt walk. She would have ended up as a coyote meal. So instead of editing today I called around and found a vet that could take her...

message 15: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments Michael wrote: "I think I will join you...

To scotch or coffee?

I got this bottle from a friend who played Eddie in the movie "The Hangover." I highly recommend it... its one of the best Scotch I have ever had.

It was a good d..."

message 16: by Jen Pattison (last edited Oct 08, 2016 12:19AM) (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Michael wrote: "I think I will join you...

It was a good d..."

That was a good thing you did Michael, well done for saving a life.

Nik wrote: "Never too late for a cider-:)"

Oh it is when you get older and you need to get up at 3am as a consequence. :)

message 17: by Nik (last edited Oct 08, 2016 03:16AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Michael wrote: "I think I will join you...
It was a good d..."

Excellent drink and excellent deed! Raising a toast to rabbit's soon recovery

message 18: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Ok, that was only Friday .... a prelude to Saturday? -:)

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Mike wrote: "Cider? Normandy? Why not go the whole hog and have a glass of Calvados!"

Good idea!

message 20: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Nik wrote: "Mike wrote: "Cider? Normandy? Why not go the whole hog and have a glass of Calvados!"

Good idea!"

Nah, cider or beer for me, I'm not keen on spirits. A cook friend once told me that apple pancakes are very nice when soused in Calvados and served with a dollop of cream, I could go for Calvados served that way.

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat Having a beer and watching telly.

Anyone wanna join?

message 22: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Not a big spirits drinker myself. But I do like Calvados, and I note that Gurdjieff (by his own account) wrote the introduction to Meetings With Remarkable Men when out of his skull on the stuff. Which must be a recommendation of a sort.

message 23: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Kat wrote: "Having a beer and watching telly.

Anyone wanna join?"

Looks like I've missed the party -:)

message 24: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Mike wrote: "Not a big spirits drinker myself. But I do like Calvados, and I note that Gurdjieff (by his own account) wrote the introduction to Meetings With Remarkable Men when out of his skull ..."

Maybe I'll give it a go then. :)

message 25: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Friday is too far away, Thursday is good enough. Raising a glass of Glen F. to you, guys, in hope some more members will join -:)

message 26: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9493 comments Me, I prefer Laphroaig, and thanks to the date line, while it is Thursday for you, it is Friday for me (actually Saturday when I got around to writing this.)

message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) It's Friday here, and I got a little whiskey I want to raise :)

message 28: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7224 comments Now that the martians have cleared out of my backyard it's absinthe for me...

Hang on a sec ... nup, already started.

message 29: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "Now that the martians have cleared out of my backyard it's absinthe for me...

Hang on a sec ... nup, already started."

Absinthe, you say? What label, pray tell?

message 30: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7224 comments Just joking,

Champagne or beer are my most common drinks.

message 31: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Morning here, but probably still have remnants of red wine in my system. As I'm invited to a BBQ a little later, I guess beers would be kinda inevitable. Cheers!

message 32: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) Never too early but I had a mixed drink for dinner yesterday evening. Scotch is too strong for little ol me!

message 33: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "Just joking,

Champagne or beer are my most common drinks."

Man, and I thought we were going to have something on common ;). However, if anyone is interested in trying absinthe - the kind that you can actually buy in North America, that is - I recommend Green Tree. It's Czech, it's lovely and tasty, just don't drink it straight (140 proof!)

message 34: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments I have a bottle, judging by the layer of dust for more than 10 years of Xenta Absenta, but for some reason I suspect it might be counterfeit -:(

message 35: by Nik (last edited Apr 05, 2019 10:29AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Finally got around to it:
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...
Na zdorovye!

message 36: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments You have the Teeling Nik, I'll have a Jamesons!

message 37: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Cool, a company is forming!
A friend didn't show up, but I knew I could count on our virtual community.

message 38: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments A friend did show up last night, in the real world, and I drank much cheap industrial Rioja. I had a mouth like a camel's armpit this morning.

message 39: by Matthew (last edited Apr 06, 2019 03:57PM) (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Nik wrote: "Finally got around to it:
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...
Na zdorovye!"

I believe the appropriate toast in this case is, Sláinte! :)

message 40: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Mike wrote: "A friend did show up last night, in the real world, and I drank much cheap industrial Rioja. I had a mouth like a camel's armpit this morning."

Many good things (not specifically industrial rioja) unfortunately come with less pleasant ramifications. If hangover was worth the fun, I guess it's a positive balance -:)
A coincidence, but I also happened to kill a bottle of Rioja's Marques de Caceres last Thursday.

message 41: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Matthew wrote: "I believe the appropriate toast in this case is, Sláinte! :)"

Slainte - goes too. Hope you raise your glass with us!

message 42: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 104 comments Jameson Redbreast 21yo is a fine treat on any day of the week. Sláinte!

message 43: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Cool, stakes go up!

message 44: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Nik wrote: "Matthew wrote: "I believe the appropriate toast in this case is, Sláinte! :)"

Slainte - goes too. Hope you raise your glass with us!"

Totally! I was just sipping on some Bruichladdie last night. We don't drink it much around our house, so when we do, its clearly a special time :)

message 45: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Nik wrote: "Mike wrote: "A friend did show up last night, in the real world, and I drank much cheap industrial Rioja. I had a mouth like a camel's armpit this morning."

Many good things (not specifically indu..."

The Marques de Caceres is pretty reliable. I should probably stick to that.

message 46: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Poured myself a good pre-Friday portion of Chivas. Looking forward to a company :)

message 47: by Marie (new)

Marie | 562 comments Oh - you were not kidding when you said there was about four or five drinking threads in this group as here is another one! lol

I am going to have some of my mascato wine later so I lift up my glass to you Nik! Cheers! You never have to drink alone in this group!

message 48: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Marie wrote: "...You never have to drink alone in this group!"

Great and appreciate that! Cheers!

message 49: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 2888 comments At the end of next week 30% tariffs on both Scotch and Irish whisky will take effect, so I'm stocking up, now.

message 50: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13464 comments Wise move and an important heads-up!