Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Edgar Allan Poe

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10833 comments Mod
On this day in history:

He was found in the bar room of a public house that was being used as a polling place for an election. The magazine editor Joseph Snodgrass sent Poe to Washington College Hospital, where Poe spent the last days of his life far from home and surrounded by strangers. Neither Poe’s mother-in-law nor his fiancée knew what had become of him until they read about it in the newspapers. Poe died on October 7, 1849 at the age of forty. The exact cause of Poe’s death remains a mystery.

this thread is for us to fan girl or boy over everything Poe. so go crazy and share links to your favorite Poe stories, movies, etc. post pictures of your collections. GO!

message 2: by Latasha (new)

https://youtu.be/wDLLHTdVSgU
the tell-tale heart

message 3: by Latasha (new)

my Poe stuff: and my niece & I at his birthday party at the poe museum in Richmond in 2015
 photo poe1_zps5sflj5wh.jpg

photo poe2_zpsugwekynk.jpg

photo poe3_zpshzkho0jn.jpg
 photo poe4_zpsgmmqshs8.jpg

photo poes bday_zpsdxx0ggcc.jpg

photo poebday 3_zpskuqcq6sv.jpg

message 4: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2970 comments Mod
I read The Raven every year in Oct. I've been thinking I also need to re-read many of his stories.
And I'm working my way through Poe-Land The Hallowed Haunts of Edgar Allan Poe by J.W. Ocker

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments One I can never quite get out of my head is this poem:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Wo...

message 6: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments I have gone to most if not all of his residences Amazing life In fact when I was an attorney for the NYC legislature I drafted the legislation that named a street in NYC after him

It was great

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Ah, Edgar Allan Poe. By far my number one inspiration for writing which shows in my horror and poetry. If there was a horror God, Poe would be it. The funny part about Poe is during his life he struggled to get his work out and not all of it was high praise and gave him recognition which makes you wonder what those people were even thinking. Of course we today as horror fans appreciate his work and rightfully so as it has inspired countless writers and entertains as many readers.

To further my thoughts on him, I actually wrote a piece a few years back paying homage to him which you can check out:

Edgar Allen Poe was quite the poet of his time. He brought the element of horror to poetry and it took off in such a way that hundreds of years later,we still read his work today and it’s still just as good as the day he wrote so long ago. He wrote many poems and short stories of the macabre and because the basis of the horror culture has taken off so much this century that it’s why we welcome him and his greatness to this one. His work of horror was really the first of it’s time, well the first that really became popular that is. Poe inspired not just many writers after him but also more than likely the things in horror today that we have come to love so much. In fact recently works of Poe have been made into a movie which just goes to show you that the old things and new things come together and are just as good as everything else that makes it so.

Many of the poems in The Macabre Masterpiece, it's upcoming sequel and many of my other dark poems are all inspired by Poe. He not only stands the test of time but continues to inspire many young writers and poets like myself proving that it doesn't matter how long you've been gone, as long as your works are still very much alive you shall continue to be alive in a sense as well.

Also, I have a board on Pinterest solely dedicated to him called "All Things Poe, Nevermore!":

https://www.pinterest.com/justinbienv...

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Awesome. I'll check it out after work.

message 9: by Walter (last edited Oct 19, 2016 07:55PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments The other day I found on Bookbub that they were giving away as a freebie a complete ebook collection of his work. Not Amazon, though, just Apple, Google, and Kobu, as I recall.

Been a while since I last read any of his work, but my interlibrary loan request for the second HA BotM, Usher's Passing, just came in, so I looked up The Fall of the House of Usher and read it prior to beginning Usher's Passing.

So impressed by the man's immense vocabulary, and humble in the face of how he combined both prolificacy and quality into such a relatively brief career as a writer. Will have to take on the collection as my interim book after I finish The House of the Seven Gables.

message 10: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 93 comments Kevin. wrote: "I have gone to most if not all of his residences Amazing life In fact when I was an attorney for the NYC legislature I drafted the legislation that named a street in NYC after him

It was great"

Awesome!

message 11: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Yes V it was really good I presented the report to the committee and the council and was there when it was signed

message 12: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 93 comments Latasha wrote: "On this day in history:

He was found in the bar room of a public house that was being used as a polling place for an election. The magazine editor Joseph Snodgrass sent Poe to Washington College H..."

The History channel has a hilarious skit show with historical characters this is Mr. Poe

"Great Minds with Dan Harmon" on the History channel and Youtube.

http://www.history.com/shows/night-cl...

Full episodes are on Youtube!

message 13: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Interesting V. How u today?

message 14: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 93 comments Kevin. wrote: "Interesting V. How u today?"

I'm Good! Just finish getting a costume for the little one!

message 15: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Nice what is the costume >

message 16: by Kimberly (last edited Oct 30, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5834 comments Mod
Walter wrote: "The other day I found on Bookbub that they were giving away as a freebie a complete ebook collection of his work. Not Amazon, though, just Apple, Google, and Kobu, as I recall.

Been a while since ..."

I have a H/C collection of his complete works. I can't tell you how many times I've taken that off the shelves (especially after reading something particularly "poorly" written...), just to assure myself that there are some GOOD ones out there. ;)

message 17: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments I do too A client gave me a two book set leather bound of his complete works so cool

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5834 comments Mod
Kevin. wrote: "I do too A client gave me a two book set leather bound of his complete works so cool"

That's what mine is!!

message 19: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Lol imagine that That's one more thing we have in common too bad we are not time travelers and get autograph copies lol

message 20: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 93 comments Latasha wrote: "my Poe stuff: and my niece & I at his birthday party at the poe museum in Richmond in 2015

Oh how nice! Awesome Auntie. :)

"

message 21: by Latasha (new)

V wrote: "Latasha wrote: "my Poe stuff: and my niece & I at his birthday party at the poe museum in Richmond in 2015

Oh how nice! Awesome Auntie. :)

thank you.

""

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments This is a wonderful video of Annabel Lee that I've saved for years through Youtube

The voice is perfect with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5d-C...

message 23: by Latasha (new)

Thanks!

message 24: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I just picked up The Terrifying Tales of Edgar Allan Poe for free on Google free books.

message 25: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I'm listening to his six creepy tales on YouTube.

message 26: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments Neil Gaiman reads The Raven for charity:

https://worldbuilders.org/page/stretc...

message 27: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 93 comments On Netflix. Extraordinary Tales

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3454574/ Mr. Poe works are narrated by different actors, and uses beautiful animation to tell the stories.

message 28: by Latasha (new)

V wrote: "On Netflix. Extraordinary Tales

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3454574/ Mr. Poe works are narrated by different actors, and uses beautiful animation to tell the stories."

I love that so, so, so much

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6960 comments V wrote: "On Netflix. Extraordinary Tales

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3454574/ Mr. Poe works are narrated by different actors, and uses beautiful animation to tell the stories."

I have Netflix streaming, I'll have to check it out.

message 30: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I still need to write my work, Poespeare which will be a combination of works from Edgar Allan Poe with works of William Shakespeare. I have been planning it out for about two years now and have only written one story so I need to get started.

message 31: by Latasha (new)

I think that sound awesome! You should definitely write that :)

message 32: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Thanks!

message 33: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) V wrote: "On Netflix. Extraordinary Tales

I watched this a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. Highly recommended!

message 34: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 93 comments Justin wrote: "I still need to write my work, Poespeare which will be a combination of works from Edgar Allan Poe with works of William Shakespeare. I have been planning it out for about two years now and have on..."

Heart pounding! That sounds Amazing:) love to hear it audiobook or a play.

message 35: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Inkslinger The tell-tale heart all the way! It is the first ever of Poe's story I had ever read, found in my english literature text. I started it out as something completely random to fill the time, but as the story goes along I was so excited I barely paid my teacher any attention. Before that, I had never read any works of horror before, and without the tell-tale heart I would have never known my passion for Edgar Allan Poe and the horror genre as a whole.

message 36: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Yes the Tell-Tale Heart is quite good. Its edgy and a. perfect example of a story of guilty conscience weighing a person down.

For Poespeare I combine The Tell-Tale Heart with Macbeth to create The Fast Beating Blood Stained Guilt.