The poet's lounge discussion

Edgar Allan Poe
This topic is about Edgar Allan Poe
Poetry > Who are your favorite poets

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaheer (new)

Shaheer Henderson | 9 comments Mod
Edgar Allan Poe was a very great poet. However, he did not get discovered until after his death. Tell me who are your favorite poets?

message 2: by Isabella (last edited Oct 07, 2016 09:53AM) (new)

Isabella George | 5 comments I love Poe for the quickness of his rhymes, in Eldorado... as it immediately gets the attention in the opening lines...
Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,

message 3: by Isabella (new)

Isabella George | 5 comments Maya Angelou writes in a simplistic style without pretention... there is nothing abstract about what she says... and she speaks to the world.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Klein | 1 comments never read maya angelou

message 5: by Madeline (new)

Madeline (hamletangst) | 2 comments For me, the best poetry always seems to find me right when I need it most! I'll just be browsing along a shelf and then see a book of poetry that just really catches my eye. It's how I've found all of my favorite poets!

My all-time favorites would have to be Charles Bukowski and Mary Oliver. Bukowski has that kind of harsh, tongue-in-cheek kind of style that I really enjoy, whereas Oliver is a very deep and spiritual kind of lady whose poetry I turn to when I need to read something personal and intimate.

message 6: by Madeline (new)

Madeline (hamletangst) | 2 comments Eric wrote: "never read maya angelou"

If you ever get the chance to, I'd say you should! She has some really nice ones that are shortish but still get her "essence" across, if that makes sense.

message 7: by Shaheer (new)

Shaheer Henderson | 9 comments Mod
Angelou had some very great poems. Many which talked about her own personal experiences.