Readers Inc. - Monthly Book Club! discussion

DISCUSSION THREAD | Chapters 4-6 - THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m still on chapter 3 but discuss the next three chapters here.

I’ll post whenever I catch up.

message 2: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler Ok, so this was weird! And except for the paint-incident in Theodora's room, we don't kow if anything actually happened or whether it's imagined, which is very clever. Eleanor seems to more and more prone to fantasies, her character is getting really strange, really fast... All that talk about being 'dirty'. Bad conscious? And then the scene at the beginning of part 3 of chapter 5 when Eleanor is talking to Theo and thinking that she hates her and wants to kill her makes me wonder: did her mother die of natural causes??

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol The way Eleanor thinks of these experiences and how she acts definitely makes you start thinking maybe she's crazy and is this real?

message 4: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (merelovesreading) | 4 comments I'm loving that Jackson leaves so much up to the reader's imagination. What do you think it was that Theo saw at the picnic?

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Meredith wrote: "I'm loving that Jackson leaves so much up to the reader's imagination. What do you think it was that Theo saw at the picnic?"
I don't know! I wish she would have explained what she saw. Not knowing just helps us to experience it with Eleanor even more. We're in her point of view so if she doesn't see it then we won't experience it either.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 12, 2016 04:44AM) (new)

Learning more about the structure and architecture of Hill House is pretty fascinating. Also meeting everyone together has been fun as the dynamic between Eleanor and Theodora specifically seems to constantly shift. What's a ghostly story without a cranky housekeeper!

I agree that the unknown elements place you further with Eleanor's experience in the house. I also like how her reactions to situations cause you to rethink what's happened in her past (i.e., regarding her mother's death.)

The haunting incidents themselves are quite subtle but I did find myself chilled by the one at Chapter 5 where Eleanor holds Theo's hand and realizes it... wasn't... Theo's... hand. #chills

message 7: by Cataluna6 (new)

Cataluna6 | 14 comments Conrad wrote: "Learning more about the structure and architecture of Hill House is pretty fascinating. Also meeting everyone together has been fun as the dynamic between Eleanor and Theodora specifically seems to..."

I loved that Jackson went out of her way to describe the feel of 'Theo's' hand. I felt like she was building up to something and then bam!

message 8: by Cataluna6 (new)

Cataluna6 | 14 comments Britta wrote: "Ok, so this was weird! And except for the paint-incident in Theodora's room, we don't kow if anything actually happened or whether it's imagined, which is very clever. Eleanor seems to more and mor..."

I've been enjoying the subtly of the haunting's. I'm not much for gornos anymore, when the horror isn't so heavy handed I think it makes more of an impact. I'd never read this before and can only just remember parts of the movies, but I didn't realise this is really Eleanor's book. I think that it' is a great way to set up the ambiguity of the story. I feel like she is in the middle of a breakdown. Her mother's passing, the way other family members talk to her all add to it.

I certainly think someone like Eleanor could be pushed to kill her mother, she has that quick temper of a child that lashes out when they get told they can't do something. And I don't think it's helped by the fact that she's more like a child than an adult. She's in fantasy land most of the time. But the comments about being dirty make be think she's had a fanatical upbringing.

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina Huntz (lectito) | 11 comments Does anyone else has problems pointing the narrator's voice? Sometimes it seems omniscient and other is Eleanor's. I started the book late sorry. I'm not used to reading horror and this has creeped me out a lot!

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 7 comments I loved the part where she describes the houses architecture and the multiple doors in the kitchen, but after that it fell a little flat to me. Eleanor is such an annoying character!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh no! Sorry to read that. I really loved Eleanor! She was nuts!