UK Book Club discussion

Readers Blogs > Discover 10 New Authors of Colour

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) I just posted a book review and author interview for He Knew a Firefly by Smita Bhattacharya

It's a disturbing story of a woman with unnatural insights.

You can find the review here -
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ann-g...

It's part of a short series I'm blogging on Huffington Post UK - 'Discover 10 New Authors of Colour'

description

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat To be honest, I don't give a fig what colour an author is, if the book is great.

message 3: by Ann (last edited Oct 10, 2016 06:12AM) (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) hi Kat, yes, I understand what you're saying. Me too.

When I asked over on another thread how many people had read a book recently with a non-white main character, it was surprising how many had either read none, or not very many (except the classics, such as the Colour Purple).
That's why I decided to do a bit of digging around and interview some new authors for this series.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Nov 03, 2016 01:12AM) (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) Discover Ten New Authors of Colour #2

#2 of my ten picks is Cinders (Good Tales For Bad Dreams #1) by V.M. Sawh by V.M. Sawh

It's a dark, short story - perfect for the Halloween season.

For those of you who might be interested, here's a link to the author interview and book review.
http://anngirdharry.weebly.com/blog

message 5: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1005 comments Have to say I'm with Kat, I have never chosen a book because of the colour of the author. I dont care if they are coloured, white, gay or as managed to grow a spare limb. Its the book that counts and always will be.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) hello Tania,

Yes, like I said to Kat, I understand that completely.

Actually, the idea for researching and blogging this series of books, and contacting the authors for interviews, came from a discussion on another Goodreads group where a number of readers were discussing how they'd never read a book with a non-white main character. Those readers wanted to do so and didn't know how to find one/get recommendations., nor find authors with more diverse characters in their books.

The iconic authors are well known - Alice Walker, Toni Morrison, Zadie Smith - and can be found in most bookshops, but the lesser well known ones can be difficult to find.

That's why I decided to dig around...
Hence these blog posts.