What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > LGBT fiction for teens

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Hicks (jasonhicks23) | 11 comments I want some LGBT fiction books. Teen stuff. Not that disgusting fetishist M/M crap written by straight women when they're feeling a little bit dirty. I don't want those types of books from men either. I want John Green type of stuff but with gay main characters! Fantasy, mystery, coming of age, ANYTHING. I want the type of books that are a dime a dozen when written about straight couples but I want them with LGBT characters. To give you something else to go on, check out Been Here All Along by Sandy Hall, Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan for a reference point.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Smoke and Shadows (book 1)
Smoke and Mirrors (book 2)
Smoke and Ashes (book 3)

Tony Foster is the MC in this 3 book series. He's gay, a wizard, works in Canadian TV and has an ex who is Henry FitzRoy, Duke of Richmond and Somerset and the vampire son of Henry VIII. Interesting series.

message 6: by Wren (last edited Oct 10, 2016 04:03PM) (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) | 143 comments Books I've read:
Switch by Douglas Davey
If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan
Ash by Malinda Lo
Pink by Lili Wilkinson
Empress of the World (Battle Hall Davies, #1) by Sara Ryan

I haven't read these but they seem to fit your description:
Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters
Geography Club (Russel Middlebrook, #1) by Brent Hartinger
Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan
Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin

message 7: by Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (last edited Oct 10, 2016 04:47PM) (new)

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments Coda
Proxy

These two are both sci-fi stories set in some kind of a future world. Young adult, both of them.

Coda's lead is bisexual and is in a relationship with a girl, but is friends with his ex-boyfriend, and the ex has a big role in the book.
Proxy's lead is gay, and the secondary lead is bi-curious.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments Also, Jason, would you be interested in any books with secondary LGBT characters who are still relevant to the plot?

Ignore this if the answer is no but
Sick and Rotters both have these.

message 9: by MaWhit (last edited Oct 12, 2016 10:12PM) (new)

MaWhit  (mawhit) | 43 comments My favorites:

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (but not really in the first book)

Magic's Pawn trilogy by Mercedes Lackey

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Hicks (jasonhicks23) | 11 comments Omg bless you all this is wonderful!! If anyone has any more suggestions I'm totally open to them!

message 12: by MaWhit (new)

MaWhit  (mawhit) | 43 comments I just finished Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and it was adorable.

message 13: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 905 comments Paula Boock has a few, including Dare Truth or Promise

message 14: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments Maybe Openly Straight and it's sequel.

Shadowshaper is one of my favourite YA UF books ever, and it's a wonderland of diversity. The gay characters here are secondary, part of the MC's Scooby gang of helpers, but I really liked how they were characters first, who just happened to be gay, so I will recommend that one anyway.

message 15: by Imogen (new)

Imogen (birosmudged) | 30 comments I second a lot of the ones already suggested, but for others I can think of that don't seem to be listed:
Everything Leads to You by Nina L'acour
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
What We Left Behind by Robin Talley

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 43 comments We Are All Made of Molecules The main character is not gay but one of the characters is and it deals with one of the other characters coming to terms with it. It is actually pretty good.

message 17: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1221 comments The Demon's Lexicon trilogy is YA fantasy, and has a gay secondary character who features prominently in all three books.

Secret is the fourth book in a YA fantasy series, but this is the book in the series where the central mc is gay

Witch Eyes more YA fantasy with gay central mc

If you like sports stories, Out of the Pocket is about a high school football player who is outed.

The Marbury Lens is really weird fantasy. The MC character is questioning/repressed/confused for pretty much all of this book (the sequel is Passenger) so I don't know if that is a deal-breaker for you

This one is old, but I thought it was decent: Face the Dragon

message 19: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1221 comments Here are the links for Madison's suggestions:
Ask the Passengers
Highly Illogical Behavior -- I added this one to my want to read list - thanks, Madison ;-)
I'll Give You the Sun

Welcome, Madison!
When you post a comment there is a little "add book/author" link right above the comment box you can click on to add a link. :-) (If you are on a pc there is anyway. I don't know about mobile )

message 20: by lucky little cat (new)

lucky little cat (luckylittlecat) Ooh, lots of good titles here already.

Grasshopper Jungle

The plot isn't John Green-ish (the world is being threatened by body-snatching giant mantises). But the hero, Austin, is all Green in his relationships: he's sincerely torn between his romantic feelings for both his male bestie & his girlfriend.

Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence

Blue is an oldie, but the title story alone is worth checking out.

And finally, a goodreads reading list:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...