Victorians! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations Archives > Nominations for January 2017

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments This year has certainly flown by. As we will be completing Middlemarch at the beginning of December, taking into consideration the crazy holiday schedule, the theme for December will be short stories. One or two stories will be chosen each week. It's a great way to keep reading while managing the holiday craziness.

Please nominate a short story collection. As always, we must not have read it during the last two years. It, of course, needs to be Victorian. One nomination per person, and author. This thread will be open for one week or until we reach 8 nominations.

message 2: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2531 comments I'll nominate Hardy's Life's Little Ironies, a short story collection published in 1894. (I hope it's considered properly in our time frame even though it was republished in 1927 with a slightly different set of stories, which are probably the stories in the editions now in print. But most or all of the stories will have been Victorian anyhow.)

Life's Little Ironies Life's Little Ironies by Thomas Hardy

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice | 37 comments Is nobody else going to nominate?

message 4: by Lynne, In Memoriam (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 243 comments Mod
I am just a Newbie, but for light reading around the holidays, any of the collections of short stories by Louisa May Alcott are kinda fun. Does anyone have a favorite?

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments Lynne wrote: "I am just a Newbie, but for light reading around the holidays, any of the collections of short stories by Louisa May Alcott are kinda fun. Does anyone have a favorite?"

What's your favorite Lynn?

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments Since it's been way too quiet out here for nominations, I will do a broadcast message to everybody, and will extend the deadline.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments I'm going to nominate The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories. While the collection is published after our era, it contains stories from our era. It was traditional to tell ghost stories at Christmas

message 8: by Haaze (last edited Oct 12, 2016 04:30PM) (new)

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments Haaze wrote: "Any interest in In a Glass Darkly by J. Sheridan Le Fanu? In a Glass Darkly by J. Sheridan Le Fanu"

Great pick

message 10: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 39 comments Thanks! I was looking through the "bookshelf" and could not find any books by Lefanu. I was pretty sure that at least one or more of his books had passed through the group over the years. Spooky!!!

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments Haaze wrote: "Thanks! I was looking through the "bookshelf" and could not find any books by Lefanu. I was pretty sure that at least one or more of his books had passed through the group over the years. Spooky!!!"

His stuff is fun

The Chronicles of Cordelia (TheChroniclesofCordelialilipeach) | 1 comments +Susan, Elizabeth Gaskell sounds good. What about Christmas Storms and Sunshine as well?

message 13: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) If we only get one nomination per author, I would definitely go with Christmas Storms and Sunshine instead of Gothic Tales for December. if I can change that moderators?

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments Susan wrote: "If we only get one nomination per author, I would definitely go with Christmas Storms and Sunshine instead of Gothic Tales for December. if I can change that moderators?"

Consider it changed. I'm going to delete your previous post to reduce confusion.

message 15: by Susan O (last edited Oct 13, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Thank you Deborah and Cordelia. Great idea.

message 16: by Rut (new)

Rut | 55 comments Hi, I have not been around lately, so I feel like I had no right to nominate an author.
But, since I am still here, (and hurray to that, for even when I am way behind in my readings of Victorian authors, I have thoroughly enjoyed them, thank you), I will nominate a book I found, by an author we have read in December these last two years since I joined the group: Dickens.
What about "The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain"? According to Wikipedia "It is the fifth and last of Dickens's Christmas novellas."
By the way, all the other nominations sound great, and maybe it is good to read a different author in December this year. So, this is just one more idea.
The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain

message 17: by Lynne, In Memoriam (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 243 comments Mod
Ohohoh! Can I choose them all?? I love the Dickens suggestion and also the LeFanu. Yes, ghost stories at Christmas were popular among the Victorians, so there is that to factor in also perhaps? I know I suggested Louisa, but I like the other suggestions better. Is that OK? Whatever gets chosen will be fun, I think.

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments Lynne wrote: "Ohohoh! Can I choose them all?? I love the Dickens suggestion and also the LeFanu. Yes, ghost stories at Christmas were popular among the Victorians, so there is that to factor in also perhaps? I k..."

It is a lovely selection and will be so hard to choose

message 19: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Renee M | 1877 comments Mod
Yes! Yes! I love when there's so many great nominations that I know the reading with be fun no matter what wins.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments I'm closing this thread. Poll will be up tomorrow.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.