Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF&F Awards > Worldcon 75 Adds new Hugo Award Category: "Best Series"

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 06, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

Hugo Award Logo   The 75th WorldCon (being held in Helsinki, Finland, August 2017) has opted to try the new Hugo Award category "Best Series" for the 2017 Hugo Awards (for works published in 2016.)
"An eligible work for this special award is a multi-volume science fiction or fantasy story, unified by elements such as plot, characters, setting, and presentation, which has appeared in at least three volumes consisting of a total of at least 240,000 words by the close of the calendar year 2016, at least one volume of which was published in 2016.
The idea of a "Best Series" award had been kicking around for a couple of years (especially since apparently every author writes at least a trilogy these days.) This year's Worldcon (Kansas City) business meeting voted to authorize a "Best Series" trial, and Helsinki seems to have taken them up on the offer. If successful (in the opinion of the WorldCon 75's attendees), it'll become a permanent Hugo Award category for future years going forward.

Only two "series" have ever won a Hugo Award. Asimov's Foundation trilogy was given a special award, "Best All-Time Series," in 1966. (Apparently no further series could be written after '66 :) And Connie Willis's Blackout / All Clear diptych was awarded "Best Novel" in 2011 (as well as the Nebula Award & Locus Award that year.) A couple of years ago the "Wheel of Time" series was nominated for "Best Novel" in the year its final volume was published.

The last addition to the Hugo Awards was "Best Fancast" in 2012 & "Best Graphic Story" in 2009; the last addition to the prose categories was the "Best Novella" category in 1968. (The last category dropped was "Best Website" in 2005.)

I note there's no requirement that the series be finished, just that it have at least one volume published in the current Hugo year. (I assume "volume" could be anything published stand-alone; e.g., a short story of novella would seem to make a series eligible.)

message 2: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments I like this idea. Its something a lot of other people care deeply about, but I dont, so others can spend energy arguing over it and leave best novel alone.

message 3: by Silvana (last edited Oct 06, 2016 06:10PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) at least one volume published in 2016, that rules out ASoIAF, Gentleman Bastards and the Expanse series.

Does anthology counts like Joe Abercrombie's Sharp Ends?

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 07, 2016 06:27AM) (new)

Silvana wrote: "at least one volume published in 2016, that rules out ASoIAF, Gentleman Bastards and the Expanse series.
Does anthology counts like Joe Abercrombie's Sharp Ends?"

The first thing I thought was also that ASoIAF wouldn't have a 2016 entry. :)

There is a new Expanse book, Babylon's Ashes, scheduled for later this year (Dec 6), so if that happens on schedule, it would be eligible (assuming the book is any good. :)

As far as I can tell, the word "volume" in the category description encompasses anthologies (as well as individually-published short fiction.)

By the way, as I read it, there is no requirement for a single author. That might make some anthology/multi-author series such as the Martin-edited Wild Cards series, with a 2016 volume (High Stakes) eligible.

The fact that a single author isn't a requirement might also mean a new Brian Herbert Dune novel, Todd McCaffrey Pern novel, etc. might make those series eligible, since it's been left vague whether Hugo voters would expressing an opinion on the entire series or just the latest novel in that series.

(Note that these musings are just my interpretations of the Helsinki announcement, and the Award Committee may add some clarity.)

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Ah yes, I got mixed up with another series! Yay, The Expanse got a chance of winning :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Donald wrote: "What's the eligibility requirements? A new iteration has appeared? Nothing on completeness or not? If so, I do agree with the weirdness. ..."

There's no "completeness" requirement (it's hard to know when many series are "complete", since sequels & revivals often appear.)

Per the pending proposal (still needs to be ratified by a 2nd WorldCon), once a series has been nominated, it becomes eligible again when there have been a new 2 volumes & 240,000 words.

Note that the word "volume" is intentionally vague — the category is open to writen fiction of all lengths (short stories, novella, novels) as long as it's at least 3 volumes and 240,000 words. Also note that there's no "single author" requirement (so things like Wild Cards would be eligible, provided there's a volume in the current year.)

(If you want to read all the gory details, here's a PDF of Business Passed on to WorldCon 75.)