Drop Everything And Read discussion

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
This topic is about Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Buddy Reads > Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Minnu and Hallie

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (last edited Oct 06, 2016 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hallie (inkyhallie) | 5469 comments Mod
Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Buddy read by Minnu and Hallie

Minnu | 55 comments I just read the first chapter today and it is just as good as I remember :)

message 3: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh you've read before. I'm just about to start :) How much do you think you can read by tomorrow? I want to keep up.

Minnu | 55 comments Lemme see, 10 chapters, maybe a little more than that. Is that okay? :) I like to read fast once I get started :)

message 5: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

I read pretty fast, too, so it will be fine :)

Minnu | 55 comments Perfect! Let me know what you think about it :)

message 7: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished the first chapter, and boy, that was indeed good :)

message 8: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like the writing style a lot :)

Minnu | 55 comments I love her writing :) I have never given much thought to Prague before, but the descriptions make it sound magical..and mysterious :) Are there really such things as 'ghost tours'? I'd love to go on one :D

message 10: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have a friend who knows Prague very well. Maybe I should ask her about it.

Minnu | 55 comments haha, yes :) I am on chapter 5 now. I like the fact that Karou is shown as a little naive, maybe, but by no means weak. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm on chapter 10 xD I'm glad because I don't like Mary Sues. I'm completely mesmerised by the writing. I just love it!

Minnu | 55 comments And the imagination!! I have no clue how she comes up with these things!

message 14: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

Exactly! It's marvellous!

I'm on chapter 14. Should I wait?

Minnu | 55 comments Its okay, go ahead :) I am going to turn in for the night. I'll probably get some reading done morning and share :)

message 16: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alright then :)

Minnu | 55 comments I am not really a fan of insta love, and when the hero goes on and on about the epic beauty of the heroine, I usually skip it. But this had me floored.

the light treating her differently than it did others, the air seemed to gather around her like held breath. As if this whole place was a story about her.

Minnu | 55 comments I was on chapter 20, (view spoiler)

message 19: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

(view spoiler)

I'm on chapter 53. I might rate it 4 stars, judging by how much I like it at the moment. I'm just 60 pages away from the end, so I think that it how it's going to be. What about you?

Minnu | 55 comments I'm on chapter 51. I'm glad you like it :)

message 21: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will you finish it today, or should we go slow?

Minnu | 55 comments we can finish today, if its okay?

message 23: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

Definitely :)

Minnu | 55 comments I have to say, it never made much sense to me that Brimstone never used any wishes for himself. He could have won the war with those, or at least given his side a huge advantage.

message 25: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

That ending was intense!

message 26: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

Minnu wrote: "I have to say, it never made much sense to me that Brimstone never used any wishes for himself. He could have won the war with those, or at least given his side a huge advantage."

Now that you mention it, I found it target strange, too.

Minnu | 55 comments Hallie wrote: "That ending was intense!"

Wasn't it? :D I highly recommend reading the rest of the series too. At times, the pacing is unbearably slow, but you'll love the writing, and the way everything is wrapped up

message 28: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll certainly give it a try :) I liked this a lot.

Minnu | 55 comments Hey, which character did you like best? :) ( I always ask this to my friends who have read this ) :D

message 30: by Roberta (new) - added it

Roberta Chai (Lady with so many stories) | 7 comments I will also read this. Sorry if I am not supposed to post here.

message 31: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's fine :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!