NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Reviews! [Share With Us!] > Submitted reviews to Amazon

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fictionophile (last edited Oct 06, 2016 05:51AM) (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments I have heard through another group that we are no longer able to submit our NetGalley reviews to Amazon...
See: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...
How will this impact us as NetGalley reviewers?

Also, I've heard that they are systematically removing all of the reviews we've already submitted that state: "I received this book in exchange for my honest review" (or something similar)
Since this would be ALL my reviews in this case, I am devastated!

message 2: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Here's to hoping it backfires on Amazon. Reviews will go way down, especially on debut authors, so their sales will go way down. I just did some research and discovered Amazon makes companies "pay to play" for each item they want reviewed by their Vine reviewers. I personally consider it likely nothing more than a shakedown attempt to make pub./companies fork over money for reviews.

Here's to hoping NetGalley and publishers don't fall for it.

Fictionophile wrote: "I have heard through another group that we are no longer able to submit our NetGalley reviews to Amazon...
How will this i..."

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 29 comments Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review.

Everyone is hoping it follows the guidelines to simply state "I received this book for free from Netgalley." But do not put that it was in exchange for a review.

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Just wondering if you could go back in an edit your reviews, removing the 'honest review' part?

Fictionophile wrote: "I have heard through another group that we are no longer able to submit our NetGalley reviews to Amazon...
How will this i..."

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 29 comments Nicki wrote: "Just wondering if you could go back in an edit your reviews, removing the 'honest review' part?

Fictionophile wrote: "I have heard through another group that we are no longer able to submit our N..."

When looking at your own review there is a small "edit" button along with a "delete" button. I changed a few of my recent ones but I'm debating on doing more, I don't see how it's fair to delete any before the review policy change but that's exactly what Amazon seems to be threatening to do.

message 6: by Nicki (new)

Nicki I've done the same.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments i've never put the "honest" review language in my reviews - because to me that signifies that you may have unhonest reviews as well...and i tend to discount those

this was mostly in response to the coupon clubs that provide dozens of products at low/free prices - people posting hundreds of reviews; and there is apparently a guideline in there that says ARC reviews are ok

message 8: by A (last edited Oct 06, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Carrie wrote: "Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influ..."

I hope you are right, Carrie. Unfortunately, that is not how I interpreted the email Amazon sent me, nor the Community Standards new guidelines I read in the link included in my email. To me it clearly states any ARC reviews, outside the Vine Program, that was written based on a free ARC (even if received in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion) will be deleted & won't be accepted it the future. That will be easy as pie to enforce because their software will instantly recognize Vine & verified purchases only.

Going back and simply writing "I received this ARC free from NetGally" isn't going to change the fact they only want their Vine Program ARC reviews posted, along with people who purchased the actual item. Btw, the "in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion" meets FTC guidelines. It makes no sense Amazon is doing this, other than to try to profit by making companies/publishers feel they have no other option than to "pay to play" to get substantial feedback for their product.

Thinking about being a Vine reviewer? Don't bother! It is invitation only...ridiculously hard to qualify. And you lose your reviewership the moment someone else outranks you by getting more "helpful reviewer" numbers. I've looked at some of the stats of people in the program, and I sense suspicious activity there myself. Amazon want to cut down on fraudulent reviewer activity? They need to start taking a closer look at their Vine Program.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments the language Carrie posted is exactly what got sent to sellers...so i'm not sure why you are confused...

Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange

they can provide books, they just can't require reviews...simple as...

if you don't like it, don't review on amazon - its that easy...they are trying to cut down on the people that scam the system

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments FTC guidelines just state you have to say if you received the book for free...the honest/unbiased is NOT required...and there are also authors out there who are telling reviewers to not even include that information which in turn is getting more reviews nuked

message 11: by Dorie - Cats&Books :) (last edited Oct 06, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 442 comments A wrote: "Carrie wrote: "Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or a..."

I reviewed all of my NetGalley books on Amazon and I never received any e mail???? I also just checked and they are all still on there including my disclaimer line about received the ARC from NetGalley or the publisher wherever I got it from.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments i think the email only went to folks who sell on amazon - i've been reviewing there for years and never got it

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 442 comments Fictionophile wrote: "I have heard through another group that we are no longer able to submit our NetGalley reviews to Amazon...
How will this i..."

I wouldn't worry, if it happens to you it will happen to all of us and they will be losing thousands of reviews. I don't think the authors or publishers will appreciate that.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 442 comments Dee wrote: "i think the email only went to folks who sell on amazon - i've been reviewing there for years and never got it"

Oh I see, that explains it :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 442 comments Nicki wrote: "I've done the same."

I changed just the last ten I sent, not going any farther back than that, too many books to read :)

message 16: by A (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:41AM) (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Dee wrote: "the language Carrie posted is exactly what got sent to sellers...so i'm not sure why you are confused...

Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their book..."

Dee, Good to know about not having to post "honest/unbiased opinion", only that it is a free ARC. I likely read including that as a good suggestion tip on some NetGalley helpful reviewer site a long time ago and just now automatically do it. Because..well...dang it...It's a good tip! lol Except for apparently now...???....What is crazy is for anyone to reject a review for using those words, like it is a bad thing to personally pledge honesty/that you haven't been bought off/influenced for receiving a free item! lol Geesh! Just another sign of the upside down (right is wrong/wrong is right...world) we now live in.

Btw, your comment about "the language Carrie used was correct in what was sent to sellers and not sure why I was confused"...Hon, I wasn't talking about emails sent to sellers. I was referring to the email sent to "reviewers" (the one I received) that seems to state only ARC reviews of their Vine Program & verified purchases will be allowed on their website.

I highly encourage anyone to contact Amazon before going back and spending time modifying disclaimers, because, they automatically know a Vine review/verified purchase from one that is not...and likely have the software to delete reviews that don't fit that category...regardless of the disclaimer.

Sure, I can take my reviews elsewhere. It seems I no longer have a choice and will have to do just that. Honestly, it will be Amazon's loss. I just hope they clean their own house first (take a closer look at what they are doing with the Vine Program) before going after honest, unbiased reviewers.

P.S. Here's my standard disclaimer I place at the end of all my reviews.

(This review is based on ARC ebook generously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion. No monetary compensation was made. There is no relationship/affiliation between the reviewer and the author/publisher.)

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments Since I've been reviewing for 10+ years on Amazon and didn'5 get an email - I don'5 know if it went to all reviewers...personally seeing your disclaimer - I wouldn't pay much attention to your review...the language honest review implies that there are also dishonest reviews - be they yours or others

You would think if they were going after non vine ARC reviewers then many of us would have had reviews removed...

Can you post the entirety of the email you received

message 18: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 29 comments This is the mail I received yesterday.....

Hello,

Based on a policy change to our Community Guidelines, some of your reviews will be removed. We recently updated this policy to prohibit incentivized reviews, which includes those posted in exchange for free or discounted products. Incentivized reviews posted prior to this policy change are being retroactively removed if they are excessive or do not comply with the previous policy.

Your reviewing privileges will not be affected by this action, but you will not be able to resubmit the reviews that were removed.

To learn about our review policies, please see our Customer Review Creation Guidelines (http://www.amazon.com/review-guidelines).

Now my line has always been "I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review."

I actually believe when I started up reviewing I either got that particular wording from a suggestion on either Netgalley or the FTC guidelines if I remember correctly but either way I'll be shortening it dropping the "in exchange for an honest review." Which is really ridiculous if you think about it.... of course free copies are given out in hopes that we will review them so dropping a few words doesn't change that but would Netgalley or an author have chased us down and had us arrested if we had chosen not to review the book after receiving the copy? Um, no. Dumb Amazon, really really dumb.

message 19: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Dee, I respectfully, completely, couldn't possibly disagree with you more, and I'm just leaving it at that, hon, not going to be drawn into a war of words over it. You have your personal opinion, and I have mine on what constitutes a good disclaimer.

Here's the email I recently received. I've posted hundreds of reviews the last two years on Amazon, so maybe due to the large volume they assume I'm being paid to do it. No, it's just a guess. I don't have a clue to their rationale over this...lol.

------------------

Based on a policy change to our Community Guidelines, some of your reviews will be removed. We recently updated this policy to prohibit incentivized reviews, which includes those posted in exchange for free or discounted products. Incentivized reviews posted prior to this policy change are being retroactively removed if they are excessive or do not comply with the previous policy.

Your reviewing privileges will not be affected by this action, but you will not be able to resubmit the reviews that were removed.

To learn about our review policies, please see our Customer Review Creation Guidelines (http://www.amazon.com/review-guidelines).
----------------
My earlier comment/personal opinion posted earlier today. I certainly hope to be proven wrong on this:

Looks like Amazon has decided the only voice/opinion that matters in the literary world is their Vine Program (which is an ARC reviewer program by invitation only that is nearly impossible to obtain). It appears not only will they no longer allow reviews be posted from an ARC issued in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion (unless it is via their Vine Program), but they plan to go through everyone's reviews and permanently delete previous ARC reviews if the ARC was not purchased. If you go to the "guidelines" page it clearly states the only exception is their Vine Program. So I guess you could say all those mindless/fangirling reviews we often see have resulted in all of us being accused of selling our opinion in exchange for an ARC. I, for one, am not happy about this.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 442 comments Dee wrote: "Since I've been reviewing for 10+ years on Amazon and didn'5 get an email - I don'5 know if it went to all reviewers...personally seeing your disclaimer - I wouldn't pay much attention to your revi..."

WHAT< you ".personally seeing your disclaimer - I wouldn't pay much attention to your review...the language honest review implies that there are also dishonest reviews - be they yours or others", sorry but that doesn't even make any sense. I always posted the same thing, I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Hundreds of us have used that line. Couldn't disagree with you more. You must not know this group very well.

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 29 comments Dorie wrote: "Dee wrote: "Since I've been reviewing for 10+ years on Amazon and didn'5 get an email - I don'5 know if it went to all reviewers...personally seeing your disclaimer - I wouldn't pay much attention ..."

I have to agree with that one Dorie, that was the suggested language when I started using Netgalley and other free books. The only thing the "honest review" means that even if we don't like it we will say that too and they aren't paying us for all five star reviews for every book.

message 22: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (butbooksarebetter) | 20 comments I am a bit confused about this - looking at the review guidelines on Amazon it states that the only thing that isn't allowed are: "Reviews written for any form of compensation other than a free copy of the product". Which to me means that receiving a free copy of the book through Netgalley does not disqualify me from posting a review, unless I get paid for doing so. It also states: "Amazon wants your opinions to be heard. We want customers to get the information they need to make smart buying choices, and we'd love to have your help doing that. As an Amazon customer, you can submit written reviews for items listed on Amazon. We encourage you to share your opinions, both favorable and unfavorable." Also, isn't Goodreads now owned by Amazon? Seeing how everyone posts their reviews there it wouldn't make any sense stopping people from doing so on the Amazon site. Seems strange to me .....

I also don't think there is anything wrong with saying that I received a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. To me it simply means exactly that: I state my honest opinion of the book, and getting it for free has not influenced my review.

message 23: by Laurie (last edited Oct 07, 2016 07:40AM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 16 comments I would simply take out the "in exchange for" from your disclaimer. I put "I received an ARC from Netgalley/Author/Publisher/Whoever" and leave it at that. FWIW, I have 100's of reviews on Amazon and did not receive the letter. I'm not saying I won't but it hasn't arrived yet. Amazon is notorious for creating new guidelines and rules and then enforcing them as they choose though. It seems to depend who is looking over each account and sending the letters. There is no rhyme or reason to it. BUT, for now, they haven't turned it into a Vine only program.

message 24: by Dee (last edited Oct 07, 2016 08:13AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 69 comments Ditto Bark

For me it's the word honest - because that implies (TO ME) that other reviews are dishonest which I doubt - but that is the psychologist in me - words have meanings/implications ...but then I also look at review history and if you only post 4/5 star reviews I pay less attention because I can'5 determine how tastes may mesh/diverge

But then I didn't get the email either and my disclaimer has always been/is - review copy provided by publisher via netgalley/edelweiss etc

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 442 comments I suggest we let this subject rest and see what plays out on Amazon. We have so many other things to do, like READING, READING, READING, and in other ways having fun :)

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 29 comments Dee wrote: "Ditto Bark

For me it's the word honest - because that implies (TO ME) that other reviews are dishonest which I doubt - but that is the psychologist in me - words have meanings/implications ...but ..."

Actually yes, it implies that other reviews are dishonest in the fact that there are paid reviews out there that are meant to be all gushy and glowing and when used in a disclaimer for a free copy book it is meant that the reader is not simply saying what they are told to say.

I suppose if people chose to ignore reviews with disclaimers though that is their choice to do so but I find it odd that anyone in a reviewers group would have that attitude when they are reviewing free books themselves.