Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] Suggestions for 13th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 06, 2016 06:44AM) (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Wow! This is our last "regular" mini-poll. Time has really flown by! We're only a handful of topics away from our final list. If you're suggesting a topic, please (please!) take a moment to look at the current list. What do you think is missing?

The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process in 2015 so much that we have decided to create another list for 2017.

The Process:
The topics for the 2017 RC list will be determined through around 14 mini-polls. Suggestions for each poll will be open until 20 suggestions are received and then opened up for voting for one week. Each user will vote for their top 4 and bottom 4 topics in each mini-poll, resulting in 4 challenge entries from each (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). The 14th poll will be dedicated to resubmits from polls 7-13.

The Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user
- Suggestions close after 20 total suggestions
- If you made a suggestion in the twelfth round, please wait two days before making a suggestion in this one (Saturday at 8AM EST)
- For the sake of balance, we are not allowing any more suggestions related to lists or bookshelves/TBR's
- Please do not resubmit a suggestion that has already been submitted two or more times.
- New rules may be added as the polls progress so please be sure to check the rules in each post!

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 20 suggestions are received.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina | 122 comments a book that is the longest time on your "to be read" list.

message 4: by Nadja (new)

Nadja | 214 comments A book about entertainment/show business (eg Film, Music, Theatre, Media.. )

This can include biography, history, creation of a film or theatre production etc. or can also be a book set in show business for people who prefer fiction.

message 5: by Sophie (last edited Oct 06, 2016 06:18AM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Tina wrote: "a book that is the longest time on your "to be read" list."

I find this very close to the category "A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading" that's already in the challenge...

Sorry to be a pain, but it leaves less room for original suggestions.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments A children's classic

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 152 comments a book published posthumously

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...

message 8: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Yup, we already have "A book in the middle of your TBR list" and "A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading", so another TBR-category will be too much.
Tina, can you change your suggestion? Thanks :)

message 9: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments A fantasy or scifi short read (short story or novella)

As we have a doorstop category, it'd be nice to have a short one. For both genres, there are many shorts for recent series. Also, Tor publishes regularly short stories online (that are free and mostly scifi or fantasy):
http://www.tor.com/category/all-fiction/ (and a related list on GR: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...)

message 10: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments A book from the list "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" (this list has been edited a few times, as books are added or deleted, the total list is really about 1035 books)

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 6 comments A book set in the city/state you live in.

message 12: by Francesca (last edited Oct 06, 2016 06:39AM) (new)

Francesca | 786 comments A book in which the main character is of your opposite gender.

message 13: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments A rejects list category chosen for you by other members

I find this option more challenging than what was voted on last week. If I simply pick 5 books off my tbr that I am going to read anyway and ask members to vote on which one I should read first, that isn't much of a challenge, it's more of a free choice really. However, picking 5 categories that I like, and then having to find a book to fit whatever category members choose could be more challenging and fun.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I was beginning to wonder how many of these polls there were! LOL!!

message 15: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Kirsten, you can see an explanation of the process in my main post above ;)

message 16: by Zaz (last edited Oct 06, 2016 06:46AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Nadine and Jamie > suggestions refused. Can you edit and propose another suggestion?

Nadine> we already have "A best book of the 21st century (so far)" and "A book from the BBC The Big Read list" and I'm pretty sure the books in this list are the same as the ones from the categories we already have.

Jamie> the local prompts are bottomed each time and we already had a lot of them, almost nobody wants them and if you really want something local for your plan, you can use one of the rejected suggestions ;)

message 17: by Manda (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:04AM) (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments A history of women

This can be a specific woman (memoir/biography/autobiography), or a general history pertaining to women (i.e.: the history of fashion, hair care, women's right to vote, etc).

I'll post some links when I get to my computer.

Edit: Links! :D

Women's History Written by Women

Women's Journals and Diaries in History

Rural Women's History

Herstory

message 18: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments The 1001 list is pretty light on 21st century books, I would guess those books make up less than 10% of the list, it's more 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century classics, but Okay if you reject.

message 19: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Regardless, it would still be considered a "list". Members have decided not to have any more of these prompts (listed in my rules above).

message 20: by Leonor (new)

Leonor (sumeragi_hokuto) | 24 comments A book that can be related to more than one topic (i.e. adventures & romance, thriller & noir, sci-fi & politics, history & philosophy, etc.)

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2200 comments A book you need to read (for work, for school, for your book club, a friend wants you to read a book, etc.)

message 22: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 114 comments Manda wrote: "A history of women

This can be a specific women (memoir/biography/autobiography), or a general history pertaining to women (i.e.: the history of fashion, hair care, women's right to vote, etc).

..."

Love this suggestion!

message 23: by Sophie (last edited Oct 06, 2016 07:16AM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments A book you really hesitated before you decided to read it

I'm not sure about the phrasing, my sentence seems a bit weird, so feel free to reformulate it

message 24: by Katie (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:09AM) (new)

Katie | 2369 comments A book you choose randomly.

You get to choose how the book is randomly chosen and the selection of books you randomly choose from.

I was inspired by someone saying they put their books on slips of paper and then choose a slip of paper at random. You could also close your eyes and pick a book from a shelf/pile. You could even use an online randomizer.

I picked this because I thought the element of randomness would be fun, but since each person would be selecting the books & number of books they choose from, each person would be assured that they will select a book that appeals to them.

message 25: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 114 comments An audiobook

message 26: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 152 comments A book published outside of the top 4 publishing houses (Simon&Schuster, HarperCollins, Penguin Randomhouse, Hachette Livre)

Info on "Big Four"

message 27: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1725 comments A political thriller?

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments A book where one of the main characters is royalty (fiction or non-fiction).

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina | 122 comments My new suggestion is: a book with liquid on the cover (water, blood, juice...)

message 30: by Joann (new)

Joann A book with a title that you find funny

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 6 comments A book with a natural disaster (fiction or nonfiction)

message 32: by Zaz (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:39AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Thanks Tina and Jamie, list updated :)

message 33: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Francesca, I realized that your suggestion would be somewhat repetitive with the "strong female character" prompt that is already in the list. Can you please submit a new suggestion?

message 34: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Of course! I did wonder if it was a bit too similar.

A book with a famous fictional setting.

message 35: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I really hate to do this to you but we already have "A book set in a fictional location". Sorry! Another suggestion?

message 36: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Ah! Oh no! I forgot about that one. Ok.

A fantasy book.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments May be a bit late to comment on this, but I find the "rejects prompt chosen by another member" a bit repetitive. I do see where it is unique since it's asking the group to choose, but we already have one or two prompts that specifically allow for previous suggestions that didn't make it, so adding a second/third may be a bit much.

message 38: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments I can't think of another one! Thank you for holding my spot tho ...

message 39: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

That means we have one spot left.

message 40: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 733 comments Agatha Christie's book

message 41: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Rachel, I agree with you but I know that others may disagree. What are others' thoughts?

Current prompts:
- A category from another challenge
- A past suggestion that didn't win

Suggested prompt:
- A rejects prompt chosen by another member

message 42: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 6 comments I also think it is a bit repetitive.

message 43: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments My opinion is we already have a past suggestion that didn't make it why have another category that is basically the same. Lots of people are doing the reject challenge so why have another reject topic in the regular challenge.

message 44: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I'm going to go ahead and say that they're too similar. If someone likes the idea of another member choosing the specific reject prompt then they can feel free to post their specific situation in the off topic thread for recommendations: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Amy, can you please submit a new prompt?

There's still one more opening in the list!

message 45: by Joann (new)

Joann agree, repetitive

message 46: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) How about : a book that you took on vacation?

message 47: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Kirsten, are you saying a book that the person takes on a vacation in 2017? If so, I think this isn't inclusive of all the members since many do not go on vacation every year.

Can you please clarify and/or modify the suggestion?

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) How about: a book that you took with you while travelling out of town or to another house?

message 49: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 97 comments Hard list.. I see just one that would interest me.

message 50: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 626 comments Joann wrote: "A book with a title that you find funny"

I came here to nominate that!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.