CS115 - PLC Group 6 discussion

Andrea's Week 7 Question

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Rybakova | 10 comments Mod
If you had a child or a group of children in your classroom that had never used any technology before coming to you, and knew nothing about how technology was used, how would you incorporate it into their learning without making them feel excluded from the class discussions?

message 2: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Lancaster | 16 comments My first approach to this would be some extra time with these specific students to work on the basic skills that they would need to be at the same level as the other students in their classes. Most young people are good at taking on new skills and understanding the ideas relatively quick. These students could work to support each other. I would consider if there was a larger group that did not understand to pair them up with people who do understand and do a sort of “peer tutor” situation. This would give the students who had the skills an opportunity to reinforce what they do know and the students who did not to learn them and not feel segregated from the rest of the class. We would have some lessons on the basics of technology and I would then slowly integrate it into my daily lessons as students were showing that they were more comfortable with these skills. Most schools have computer classes as well so I would collaborate with the teachers of those classes to work on a plan that would help these students to build the skills they will need to be successful in their classes. I think just helping them get the knowledge and not overwhelming them by just throwing them into these technological situations would be very beneficial both mentally and emotionally. My goal as a teacher is to never make my students feel overwhelmed or stressed out and if they are feeling that way I want them to seek the help they need from me to not feel that way.

message 3: by Emily M (new)

Emily M | 7 comments Depending on what grade these students are in I would have them come to my classroom during study halls or set up a time before or after school to work on the technology basics. I would use this time to catch them up on the basics; how to make a word document, power point, typing skills, etc. During class, I would incorporate the skills were working on outside of class into the things we’re doing in class. For example, instead of having the students write on paper, I would have them type a few days a week. If I found that many students, in my classes and others, are having trouble with the technologies in the classroom, I would talk to the principle about setting up a computer club. The computer club would help all students, no matter their knowledge of technology, build their skill set up. The students who know more about computers could volunteer to help the students who don’t know as much. The club would help students in all of their classes. It looks great on college transcripts (if the students are in high school) and it would help prepare students for high school (if the students are in middle school).

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily McDevitt | 7 comments I would start with the basics of how technology works and how to use it. Get that group of kids together and help them while the other kids work on what is assigned. I would go around the room helping the other students on what is going on in class. The students that need help would have to stay after class to learn more about technology, and be able to catch up, so by next class they won't be far behind. With the extra help that would be given they would be able to use what they have learned about technology in other areas of study.

message 5: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 8 comments If I had a child or a group of students in my class that had never used any technology before coming to my classroom I’d try not to single them out, I would plan to work around their capabilities and difficulties within the technological world. While doing an exercise with the whole class, I'd pair the students up in groups to collaborate together. While doing this, I would think about the students who are the the strongest in a specific technology field, and pair them up with the students who have never been introduced to technology, and or not familiar or comfortable using it. And if this was not to work, where maybe the student were to become very frustrated or not comprehending what the other student was trying to show them, I’d then step in and help the student personally. If all of these plans do not work out, I could add in a day to my teaching plan and set aside a time and group all of the students who don’t clearly get what’s going on with the technology in class, and I would word specifically one on one with them on these skills.

message 6: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy | 24 comments If I had a child or a group of children in my classroom that had little to no experience with technology, I would devise a lesson plan that would help incorporate the technology they need while making sure they wouldn’t feel excluded from the class. During lessons and activities, I was thinking of splitting the students up into groups where there is an equal mix of students who are well-versed in technology and students who are not. This way the students who need help can get assistance from their peers, and they’ll be able to learn from each other. I could also set aside time with the student or students to help them with whatever problems they may have with the technology. I can also speak with their parents to see if there is anything they can do at home to help them better their skills and knowledge on technology. My intention is not to have the student or students feel excluded in any way, but I also want to make sure they have a better understanding of technology. I want them to learn these skills because they’re going to need to use them in the future. Technology is continuously evolving every day and in order to keep up, we need to learn and adapt. And to do that, we need to start by helping educate students.

message 7: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy | 24 comments Katrina

I like how you first pull the students aside to help them learn the basics of technology and I completely agree with you on the peer tutoring. I was thinking the exact same thing actually. The peer tutoring would really help the students who need assistance and it also benefit the tutors as well, just as you said in your response. Another idea I really liked that I didn't even think of was collaborating with the teachers who run the computer classes. I agree that having another teacher helping out would definitely benefit the student.

message 8: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Parker | 11 comments I would help the student or students and teach them the basics of technology. It would depend on the grade in which the child or children are in. A younger age group would be harder to help teach because the technology is advanced. With the older kids, in my opinion I think it would be easier because they can do more things independently. Outside of the class hopefully there would be a computer class with a computer teacher that could help the students to provide with the information. If that child could not use technology then I would provide an alternate option for that child or group of children.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Bonin | 10 comments I really like the idea of the peer tutor approach. I think children work really well with each other and also have an easier time learning from each other. I think that's a great way to get students caught up on the material. I would probably make all the students go back to the basics at the beginning though, only so that they are not too far ahead of the others. The extra practice can't hurt.Katrina wrote: "My first approach to this would be some extra time with these specific students to work on the basic skills that they would need to be at the same level as the other students in their classes. Most..."

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Bonin | 10 comments I like the idea of students coming in on their own time to get caught up, but that also gets tricky. Working around students schedules as well as your own make it very difficult to plan. Especially when there are multiple students, but if you can make it work then it is a great idea. Emily wrote: "Depending on what grade these students are in I would have them come to my classroom during study halls or set up a time before or after school to work on the technology basics. I would use this ti..."

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Bonin | 10 comments I like the idea of putting them together in groups. I think that would be a great learning tool for both students. One gets to learn new information and one gets to review and remember the information they already know, and put it to use.Jacqueline wrote: "If I had a child or a group of students in my class that had never used any technology before coming to my classroom I’d try not to single them out, I would plan to work around their capabilities a..."

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Bonin | 10 comments I think those are great ideas. I think you could also separate them by abilities in technology too but have all the groups start at the same level and move on at their own pace and speed, or maybe they could even do that independently. I think it's great that students learn from other student's. it's a greta learning tool for both of them.Cassidy wrote: "If I had a child or a group of children in my classroom that had little to no experience with technology, I would devise a lesson plan that would help incorporate the technology they need while mak..."