Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Falling Notes (Covering October November and December)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3965 comments Mod
Leave your comments that don't fit anywhere else here....

So Fall is not everywhere...These could be Spring comments for Pip and Patrick. So I changed the title from Fall to Falling....

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour I have finished the 5th volume of Story of the Stone, but between putting up shutters on the house in Florida and then getting out of Dodge to avoid meeting Matthew, it will be a few more days before I get the questions up.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 557 comments Stay safe! I hope all in Matthew's path stay safe as well.

message 4: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 167 comments John wrote: "I have finished the 5th volume of Story of the Stone, but between putting up shutters on the house in Florida and then getting out of Dodge to avoid meeting Matthew, it will be a few more days befo..."

good move leaving dodge! hope the house weathers the storm ok.

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Get out of dodge and stay safe.

MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) | 0 comments Be safe, John.

message 7: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1922 comments Mod
Keep safe John and family

message 8: by Book (new)

A quick update from me, you may have noticed I have not been around as much as usual lately that is because we have had a tragic year in my family.

A few months ago my granddad had a stroke and died and then in September my aunt (his youngest daughter) was found dead at home, we had to wait for a coroners inquest into cause of death (massive heart attack) which meant we have only just had her funeral yesterday.

My poor mum has been devastated by this so I have taken time away from basically all my online activities to support her, hopefully now the funeral is over she will be able to start to move on.

I would like to thank my fellow admins for their support during this period, from the comforting emails to relieving the pressure of coming up with questions for the group. I would also like to reassure you all I am now intending to be back with you participating again.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 557 comments Book wrote: "A quick update from me, you may have noticed I have not been around as much as usual lately that is because we have had a tragic year in my family.

A few months ago my granddad had a stroke and di..."

I'm so very sorry for your losses. I hope you and your mother are better, and that you both are able to take a breath now. I'm thinking of you.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1217 comments Mod
Tracy, my thoughts and prayers to you and your family for healing.

message 11: by Kristel (new)

Book wrote: "A quick update from me, you may have noticed I have not been around as much as usual lately that is because we have had a tragic year in my family.

A few months ago my granddad had a stroke and di..."

I have had you in my prayers and also am glad that life can settle down now though it takes time to really get back. Special thoughts for you mom.

message 12: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1357 comments I am so sorry you have had such a difficult time. May you find solace in reading.

message 13: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1357 comments Thank you, Kristel, for your nod to spring. Although we haven't had extremes, like Mathew, we are experiencing very wet and windy weather down here, which is great reading weather!

message 14: by Kristel (last edited Oct 10, 2016 04:54AM) (new)

Oh, I am sorry I forgot--Sashinka, Pip and Patrick in our Southern Hemisphere, and Augusta if she is checking in once in awhile too.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
There's an interesting piece in the New Yorker about Henry Green:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/201...

message 16: by Book (new)

Thank you to everyone for your kind words, you are a special group of people.

message 17: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1357 comments Glad you enjoyed the South Island. For your next trip over the ditch you are welcome to use our place as a hub to explore the North Island!

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Hi all,
I have a copy of the The Christmas Oratorio that I want to get rid of. I didn't like it but it may appeal to others. It's a library discard but in good condition and hardback.

If you live in the US and want it, I will send it to you. If you live internationally and want it then I will send it to you if you cover the shipping costs.

I will send it to whoever asks first.

message 19: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 59 comments It sounds interesting. I'll take it, if no one else is interested.

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
You are the first to ask so it's yours! I think I have your address but I will let you know if I deleted it.

message 21: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 59 comments Ok. Thank you Jen!

message 22: by John (new)

John Seymour Thanks all - two very busy weeks, then Matthew said he was coming to visit, so I had to fly down to Florida - could only get into Tampa because, well Matthew. So landed Thursday at 1:00 AM, drove over to our place - arriving at 4:30 AM, put up shutters to get the house ready for Matthew's visit - only took about 10 hours, with intermittent storm bands bringing rain and occasional wind gusts. Then back to Tampa - the closest place outside of Matthew's path with an available hotel room. Then back on Friday to see the house - and learned that I had been stood up. Matthew stayed 40 miles offshore as he went past our place and I doubt we had hurricane strength winds. No damage to the house other than a few screens blown out in the lanai.

Went out to dinner Friday night in town.

Crazy.

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 557 comments I bet you were thrilled to have been ditched by Matthew- thank goodness all is well!

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1217 comments Mod
John glad to hear you are safe and sound.

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
John wrote: "Thanks all - two very busy weeks, then Matthew said he was coming to visit, so I had to fly down to Florida - could only get into Tampa because, well Matthew. So landed Thursday at 1:00 AM, drove o..."

glad to hear that it missed your house!

message 26: by John (new)

John Seymour Thanks - notwithstanding the hysteria of the press, Matthew was a potentially serious storm that mostly, and most thankfully, failed to live up to its potential, though you wouldn't have recognized that by the irresponsible efforts of the press to hold on to their viewers by describing a catastrophic event that hadn't happened.

message 27: by Kristel (new)

John wrote: "Thanks - notwithstanding the hysteria of the press, Matthew was a potentially serious storm that mostly, and most thankfully, failed to live up to its potential, though you wouldn't have recognized..."
Glad it was a miss and totally agree with your comment about the press efforts to terrorize.

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 557 comments John wrote: "Thanks - notwithstanding the hysteria of the press, Matthew was a potentially serious storm that mostly, and most thankfully, failed to live up to its potential, though you wouldn't have recognized..."
Sounds like every blizzard in Iowa for the past five years!

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I've posted about this in the PBT group but thought I'd also post here in case anyone is interested.

October 22 is Dewey's 24-hour readathon. It starts at 8am Eastern time. I participated in it last year (kind of since I didn't come close to reading for 24 hours) and it was really fun. Tons of social interaction with fellow readers, mini challenges where you can win prizes, and lots of other fun things.

Anyway, I personally plan to read a few 1001 books including the Halloween read. I thought it would be fun to see other 1001 members participating.

The readathon page is here: http://www.24hourreadathon.com
You can sign up to on that page. Signing up also means you'll be eligible to win hourly prizes. There's also a goodreads group (I'll be co-moderating hours 9 & 10). You can find that group here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

I hope to see some of you participating there! Maybe I'll finally catch up on BOTMS

message 30: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 904 comments Jen wrote: "I've posted about this in the PBT group but thought I'd also post here in case anyone is interested.

October 22 is Dewey's 24-hour readathon. It starts at 8am Eastern time. I participated in it l..."

I remember you mentioning about this last year and, at the time, I knew I couldn't do it because I had something else planned. Well, same story this year: I am leaving this Friday for a 12-day holiday in Vietnam... It will be for next year then.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
That's too bad but a holiday in Vietnam sounds much better. It happens every 5 months so the next on is in April.

message 32: by Kristel (new)

Jen wrote: "I've posted about this in the PBT group but thought I'd also post here in case anyone is interested.

October 22 is Dewey's 24-hour readathon. It starts at 8am Eastern time. I participated in it l..."

I checked it out and I may give it a whirl but I really must sleep. I could play a book while I sleep I spose.

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I can safely say that I will be sleeping too but I will stay up as late as possible

message 34: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1357 comments It sounds fun, but I have a lot of driving and paddling to do on Saturday. But wait! Could I do it on Eastern Time? That is 17 hours behind. So I could start at 3pm Sunday. I will explore the possibility!

message 35: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1357 comments I've just checked that it starts at 8am, which is 1am for me. Maybe I can try because Monday is a holiday, though I still have about 4 hours out for dragon boating!

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Pip- I believe all the challenges and prizes are awarded for participation in real time so you could do your own version if you wanted to start at a different time but you might miss out on the prizes and socializing.

I will say that the most prizes are available to international readers. Hopefully you can find some overlap in time that works and join in!

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane | 2022 comments Jen wrote: "I've posted about this in the PBT group but thought I'd also post here in case anyone is interested.

It sounds tempting, especially since my original plans for Saturday have fallen through. My kids will be away at activities much of the day, too. But... I else have so much I need to be doing.

message 38: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Jen wrote: "I've posted about this in the PBT group but thought I'd also post here in case anyone is interested.

October 22 is Dewey's 24-hour readathon. It starts at 8am Eastern time. I particip..."

It is a lot of fun. You can always sign up and then check in and out throughout the day or plan to read for a few hours with breaks in between two get other work done. Last one I really only participated for about three hours because my daughter was home all day. basically set your own goals and that way it's less pressure if you have other plans. I am going with the strategy to ignore all other commitments for my reading time then panic on sunday. I'll probably regret that decision.

message 39: by John (new)

John Seymour I'm out. Driving down to Florida - reading while driving seems a bad idea.

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane | 2022 comments John wrote: "I'm out. Driving down to Florida - reading while driving seems a bad idea."

There's always audiobooks. I save my audiobooks for road trips.

MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) | 0 comments That sounds like fun. However, just this last week,
I have finally found the "key" to not being up
all night, so I better not chance it. Have a fun and
productive time to those that will give it a go!

message 42: by John (new)

John Seymour Diane wrote: "John wrote: "I'm out. Driving down to Florida - reading while driving seems a bad idea."

There's always audiobooks. I save my audiobooks for road trips."

I guess I'm a purist, but to me that's not reading, it's listening. At best. For me it would probably be not much more than just hearing, if that.

message 43: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1357 comments I slept late (6am) and then discovered a day with blue skies, not a cloud in sight. Labour weekend is when New Zealanders traditionally plant their veggies. I have decided that the spring weeds which have appeared during the endless wet weather we have had recently are more urgent than knocking off Anna so I have given the readathon a miss, but I will look for it next year. It looks such great fun. Thanks for alerting us Jen.

message 44: by Kristel (new)

I participated this year in the Dewey 24 hour readathon. It was fun, relaxing. I didn't make any demands on myself except to just read and enjoy myself. Was a great fall day in Minnesota. No gardening, no weeds, leaves are falling.

message 45: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I did too and had fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it Kristel! I finished Midwich Cuckoos. I liked seeing some of your posts and Diane's posts too.

The next one will be April 29th. I'll post a reminder in March in case anyone wants to do that one.

message 46: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1357 comments I'll be competing in the World Masters Games that day. One day it will work!

message 47: by Kristel (new)

Amie provided us with a list of past BOTM and I have gone through and made shelves for each year. You now can filter by shelves and check that you have them all on your shelf and find those you may have missed reading.

message 48: by Book (new)

Kristel wrote: "Amie provided us with a list of past BOTM and I have gone through and made shelves for each year. You now can filter by shelves and check that you have them all on your shelf and find those you may..."

Thanks Kristel that is great :) will have to go through it at some point

message 49: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 557 comments Pip wrote: "I'll be competing in the World Masters Games that day. One day it will work!"

What is the World Masters Games, Pip? It sounds intriguing...

message 50: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1357 comments They are a multi-sport event for people over the age of 40. Next year they will be held in Auckland. I will be competing in the over 60 age group in dragon boating - they don't have a category for over 70!

« previous 1 3 4