House of Leaves Readalong discussion

Discussions > 200 page discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Portal in the Pages (portalinthepages) Getting some discussions up for our faster readers

message 2: by Leslie Ann (last edited Oct 11, 2016 07:00PM) (new)

Leslie Ann (leslie_ann) I've been reading about 25 pages a night, but tonight I started on page 149 and read until page 245 because I stumbled into chapter 10 which

has

a

lot

of

white

space.

Some comments/questions:

1. Soon after page 100, Danielewski is playing a lot with layout and typography. The endless lists of architects, buildings, and features made me feel claustrophobic, which is a strange contrast to the spaciousness of the area Halloway's team explores. I wondered whether there is a correlation between the architects and the buildings, but kind of doubt it.

2. I'd love to hear people's interpretations of the use of white space in chapter 10. The pages that have a single line of words seems to enhance the suspense. But I can't figure out why Danielewski went from single passages at the top of the page to the bottom of the page. In my copy, the transition occurs about page 180.

3. I like the Norberg-Schulz quote: "architecture comes into being only when experienced."

4. Is it just me, or do the numerous footnotes mitigate the creepiness of the main story? I ask because I don't read much horror, and reviews of this book lead me to believe that fear would keep me up at night - which is not happening to me. I would be more likely to be kept up at night (and driven mad like the protagonists) if I took the time to track down all the references.

Portal in the Pages (portalinthepages) Portal in the Pages wrote: "Getting some discussions up for our faster readers"

1) To me it feels like a sense of darkness. Whilst the text on either side of the 'path' is penetrable, it's essentially of no use to us in relation to Holloway. It's 'other' I think I read it as the dark creeping in on them, and the thin light and space they are operating within, even in such a big space. I don't know enough about the buildings to be able to comment, but it would be very MZD for them to mean something. Anyone else got any ideas?

2) The spacing is where they are, in relation to the house. The bottom of the page is the bottom of the stairs. Look at who tells each section and where in the page the writing is. :)

3) Totally agree. The sense that space is an aspect of life that is experienced individually and within one's own life context is so cool.

4) I don't find I mind the footnotes. Most references are to texts that don't exist, though there is a list on the MZD forums of all of the real texts actually mentioned. I personally use them as a marker of the reliability of the narrators but I do know that for a lot of people they are a barrier to enjoying the book.

message 4: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslie_ann) Portal in the Pages wrote: "2) The spacing is where they are, in relation to the house. The bottom of the page is the bottom of the stairs. Look at who tells each section and where in the page the writing is. :)"

Thanks. Your interpretation makes sense, and is emphasized in Chapter 12.