Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1)
This topic is about Flat-Out Love
Flat-Out Love, by Jessica Park

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I read this book as my book published by indie press for BookRiot 2015. I actually had it on my TBR before I took on this challenge, but never realized it was by an indie press. It is about a freshman in college who moves in with a family who is very unusual. The thirteen-year-old daughter, aside from some unusual speech patterns and clothing choices, is obsessed with a cardboard cutout of her eldest brother who the family says is travelling the world for various charity projects.

Over time, Julie begins chatting with this brother online and quickly develops a friendship with him. I actually enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would, although I found Julie really annoying at times. She often came across very pushy and arrogant, especially because she kept trying to "fix" everything after repeatedly being told to butt out. I found the twist toward the end very predictable, but well-written enough that I was ok with it.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I read this for the 2015 Challenge, a book that will make you cry. I did anything but cry. I almost wanted to burn my book after I finished it. It is so frustrating!

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Wow, that's a strong reaction to the book!

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments You were spot on when you said Julie was an unlikable character. I love it when an author writes an unlikable character, but at the heart of it all, there's always something you like about them; you're secretly rooting for them. Park did not write this character well. Her personality was as flat as Flat-Finn ...

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Manda wrote: "You were spot on when you said Julie was an unlikable character. I love it when an author writes an unlikable character, but at the heart of it all, there's always something you like about them; yo..."

I didn't find her flat, just obnoxious. I can understand why she wanted to dig into what was going on, but she was told so many times to just leave it alone! She wasn't wrong about Celeste needing help, but why does she assume it's her job to do something about it?

But I agree that you don't have to like the character in order to root for them. Enter Title Here is a great example of that! The main character is manipulative and rude, but I couldn't help sympathizing and even somewhat relating to her.