Who Doesn't Love a Classic? discussion

Our Mutual Friend
This topic is about Our Mutual Friend
CLASSICS Reviews 2016 > Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin Witty, insightful, dense, political, intrigue, many characters all form together to make what could be argued as Dicken's best novel; it was his last. One must read carefully to mine the brilliant witticisms, and bear in mind that this was written first as a Victorian serial. There are plenty of characters to keep straight, and some twists and turns that can be rather unexpected but part of the fun of reading Dickens.

Initially I have this 4 stars, but the more I sit back and think about it, the more I realized I really enjoyed the entire book in spite of some irritation with some of the characters. Some of my all time favourite women in Dickens are some of the women in here. I won't say who, as that spoils the fun. The writing really is remarkable if you see how much insight is packed into it. Sure, it's long, but worthwhile, and being written as a serial is meant to be read so much at a time and put down for another day. I had to wait since this was a five month reading discussion, and I can't say that it spoiled it, but reading it faster could work, too.

message 2: by Lara (new)

Lara (llevinson) | 115 comments Mod
I keep wanting to try another Dickens but I always seem to have trouble with him. The only book of his I've really enjoyed was A Christmas Carol. His long novels just seem to drag to me.

Tracy (tstan) | 25 comments I'm going to try to get this one in this winter. Love Dickens! Thanks for the review- great encouragement for me!

message 4: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin Tracy wrote: "I'm going to try to get this one in this winter. Love Dickens! Thanks for the review- great encouragement for me!"

I hope you like it!