Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Oct 2016: Iron and Velvet > Questions for our 11/1 Hangout for Iron and Velvent

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (last edited Oct 05, 2016 06:32PM) (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Post comments and questions (NON SPOILER) for us to discuss at our 11/1 hangout! 7:00 PST, Tuesday Nov 1rst!
Watch HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzqqk...

Also FEEL FREE TO CREATE TOPICS IN THIS FOLDER FOR ANYTHING! Spooky VF suggestions? Throw them out there! Movies? Whatever!

message 2: by M (new)

M | 1 comments No questions yet? Here's a basic one to start us off: In this setting, what kind of supernatural being would you like to be?

Me, I'd want to be a mage. I like that anyone can learn magic, and I like that for all her power, we see Nim holding court in a community center. I wouldn't mind being a vampire, what with the dawn not killing you and all, but the werewolves are terrifyingly posh and being part faery sounds like a good way to lose your identity.

message 3: by Duckie84 (new)

Duckie84 | 33 comments If you were one of the fire mages how would your fire manifest?

message 4: by Carissa (new)

Carissa Bailey | 4 comments M wrote: "No questions yet? Here's a basic one to start us off: In this setting, what kind of supernatural being would you like to be?

Me, I'd want to be a mage. I like that anyone can learn magic, and I l..."

I would be a mage too. Second choice would be faery.. I think having purple eyes would be cool.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather McFarlane (arachnapheria) | 15 comments Maybe it's just me but does anyone else find the female characters a bit hollow? Some of the "thoughts" of Kate seem more like what a guy would think (I have never met a single woman who uses the acronym BAMF as a verb). Perhaps it's because the book is written by a man, I don't know. What do you guys think?

message 6: by Carissa (new)

Carissa Bailey | 4 comments Heather wrote: "Maybe it's just me but does anyone else find the female characters a bit hollow? Some of the "thoughts" of Kate seem more like what a guy would think (I have never met a single woman who uses the a..."

Yes! I thought the exact same thing. Not being familiar with the author beforehand, I actually assumed it was written by a female the whole way through and then at the end when I read the author's blurb, I thought certain things made way more sense - like Kate's inner dialogue and also how there were lots of attractive female characters around Kate all the time.

message 7: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 23 comments Heather wrote: "Maybe it's just me but does anyone else find the female characters a bit hollow? Some of the "thoughts" of Kate seem more like what a guy would think (I have never met a single woman who uses the a..."

Yes! I was finding this difficult because the main character just seemed too masculine (I'm not talking about her sexuality, but her thought processes).

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Shaitarn wrote: "Yes! I was finding this difficult because the main character just seemed too masculine (I'm not talking about her sexuality, but her thought processes). ..."

I know what you mean by that - I had the same feeling about Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow but I didn't really notice it in this one.

message 9: by Bex (new)

Bex | 4 comments Carissa wrote: "Heather wrote: "Maybe it's just me but does anyone else find the female characters a bit hollow? Some of the "thoughts" of Kate seem more like what a guy would think (I have never met a single woma..."

I didn't mind Kate, but I connect with her the way I usually do with first person narrative. There is something atuomatic about her. The tough-girl motif if pretty common for female PI stories. For that reason Kate reminded me a little of Jessica Jones from the TV show, or Veronica Mars, or Dex Parios, only, yeah, colder. She seemed really tired all the time.

But, interestingly, I also assumed the author was a woman the entire time. Mostly because the sex scenes weren't gross. Generally I find male-written sex scenes to be very cringe-y, but these ones I didn't find creepy.

justbookdatathings | 1 comments Heather wrote: "Maybe it's just me but does anyone else find the female characters a bit hollow? Some of the "thoughts" of Kate seem more like what a guy would think (I have never met a single woman who uses the a..."
Yeah, definitely. I also thought it really made the book off putting. It's not that I mind an F/F relationship in a book, but to me all of the lesbian characters felt too sexed up I guess. It kind of felt like the author was fetishizing (sp?) lesbians, which makes a bit more sense now that I know that it was written by a man, as much as it hurts me to say that.

message 11: by Shaitarn (last edited Nov 01, 2016 08:01AM) (new)

Shaitarn | 23 comments Don't know how many questions we're allowed: I have two if that's okay.

Aside from running a night club, what job would you take if you were a vampire?

If you were forced to play 'snog, marry or avoid' with the main supernatural races in this book, what would you go for?

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (tornadox) | 20 comments Would Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, ever date Kate Kane, Batwoman? or vice versa?

Full disclosure - finally got the book yesterday, haven't started it yet. Every time I glance at the series title, though, I expect this book to be a novel about the DC Comics character having paranormal adventures in an alternate universe.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Crane-rosset | 104 comments Heather wrote: "Maybe it's just me but does anyone else find the female characters a bit hollow? Some of the "thoughts" of Kate seem more like what a guy would think (I have never met a single woman who uses the a..."

It was a shout out to X-Men, Nightcrawler in particular. When Nightcrawler teleports in the comics, the "action word" is BAMF...it's not meant as the acronym. Look at the context it was used in this novel.

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valkyrieandherbooks) | 14 comments I liked that Hall just dropped you into the middle of Kate's story and I loved the overall pace of the storyline. It's refreshing to read a character who has her issues but isn't so bogged down by them and stuck in her own head that she doesn't go anywhere or progress on a personal level. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series!
My casting:
Kate - Krysten Ritter
Julian - Chloe Grace Moretz
Tara - Portia de Rossi
Nim - Kat Dennings