Play Book Tag discussion

Goodbye to Berlin
This topic is about Goodbye to Berlin
Archive: Other Books > Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments 4/5 stars

When I read the synopsis for this book I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the movie Cabaret was based on it. I enjoyed that movie growing up and did not know it was based on a book. My copy of the book included an introduction by the author which I found informative and interesting.

The story takes place from 1930-1933, the years the author spent in Berlin. We meet a host of characters that Christopher encountered. We are first introduced to Frl. Schroeder and her pronunciation of the author's last name is amusing “Herr Issyvoo”. Frl. Schroeder rents out rooms in her house to make ends meat. Christopher rents a room from her and eventually Sally Bowles joins the group. I enjoyed the chapter with Sally as Liza Minelli was narrating in my head. On the serious side, the chapter on The Landauers had the most impact on me. And finally the last chapter titled A Berlin Diary (Winter 1932-3) was filled with snippets of information on the changing times for Berlin and Germany. War is looming and nothing will be the same again.

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Nice review of an alluring book. So atmospheric and full of life.