Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Cover update, please!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RoAnna (new)

RoAnna Sylver (roannasylver) | 11 comments Hello! I would greatly appreciate it if a finalized book cover (now on Amazon) could be added in place of my book's current in progress/placeholder cover.

Here's my book on GR with the placeholder - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Here's its Amazon page with the new cover - http://www.amazon.com/Chameleon-Moon-...

And here's the cover itself on Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3445rabvo2f...

I can also link to it from my author website if you need that, or anything else! Thank you very much!

message 2: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3401 comments Obvious placeholder cover image replaced with cover from Amazon.
Format changed to Kindle (from eBook).

➤ RoAnna, your first name on the cover appears to be misspelt—is this intentional . . . ? Strictly, the author name field of a book should reflect the name as printed on the cover. I have temporarily retained the apparently correct spelling (based on your author profile and other book), but please get back to us on this.

message 3: by RoAnna (new)

RoAnna Sylver (roannasylver) | 11 comments Thank you very much! And yes, the name on the cover is correct - I actually wrote it myself. (Are you looking at the 'n's? I can see how they might look like only one, or an 'm,' but... I assure you, that is just my handwriting, and the Goodreads information is right the way it is now! Sorry about that!)

message 4: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3401 comments RoAnna wrote: "Thank you very much! And yes, the name on the cover is correct - I actually wrote it myself. (Are you looking at the 'n's? I can see how they might look like only one, or an 'm,' but... I assure yo..."

Hmm . . . I see only a single ‘n’.

message 5: by RoAnna (new)

RoAnna Sylver (roannasylver) | 11 comments Codex wrote: "RoAnna wrote: "Thank you very much! And yes, the name on the cover is correct - I actually wrote it myself. (Are you looking at the 'n's? I can see how they might look like only one, or an 'm,' but..."

I only write my n's as a single arch, not with the beginning tail. Here are a couple examples from the interior book headings, which should be consistent with the title text/design (and my handwriting):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpih4gcyraw...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruavpsinwvp...

Sorry about any confusion!

message 6: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3401 comments RoAnna wrote: "Codex wrote: "RoAnna wrote: "Thank you very much! And yes, the name on the cover is correct - I actually wrote it myself. (Are you looking at the 'n's? I can see how they might look like only one, ..."

Thanks for the images and feedback.
I'll leave final judgement to the moderator. [Rivka?]

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42435 comments Mod
That the author name contains a double n is clear from various places. But the font on the newest edition definitely confuses the issue.

message 8: by RoAnna (new)

RoAnna Sylver (roannasylver) | 11 comments In the interests of clarity, I should say that I do have a right/dominant hand disability that makes small, precise movements difficult and painful. I spelled my name correctly, with two lowercase n's, but if it's a question of letter formation and longhand writing, my disability will effect it. I appreciate the need for accuracy and consistency, and really do want to comply/help however I can. I apologize for this continued confusion.

message 9: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3401 comments rivka wrote: "That the author name contains a double n is clear from various places. But the font on the newest edition definitely confuses the issue."

Shall we leave the book record as is, or add a primary author “RoAna Sylver”?

message 10: by RoAnna (new)

RoAnna Sylver (roannasylver) | 11 comments Here's a possible alternative that would avoid altering my name and applying incorrect information: I could edit my cover. (The book hasn't been released yet; it comes out on the 11th, at which point I would change it to a new one with very clear text.) Would this be better?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e55ckeg182a...

message 11: by Quartzen (new)

Quartzen | 2 comments I think I see the issue- there are clearly two ns on the cover to me, but some people could see them as an "m" or a single "n" with an ascending entry stroke because the title is hand-lettered. Looking at the listing on Amazon, the book is listed as by RoAnna Sylver, and I assume any title pages and copyright information inside the book will not use hand-lettering and will therefore be unambiguous if someone's trying to catalog their book- I don't think there's a need to create an alias with "RoAna".

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Codex wrote: "Shall we leave the book record as is"

Yes. I'm sorry, I thought I made that clear.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

RoAnna wrote: "Here's a possible alternative that would avoid altering my name and applying incorrect information: I could edit my cover. (The book hasn't been released yet; it comes out on the 11th, at which poi..."

Oh, I like that!

message 14: by RoAnna (new)

RoAnna Sylver (roannasylver) | 11 comments rivka wrote: "Codex wrote: "Shall we leave the book record as is"

Yes. I'm sorry, I thought I made that clear."

Ahh, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.

message 15: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3401 comments In that case, the existing cover still stays, and the new one (coming up) is used to create an ACE . . . ?

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Pub date is still the 11th. RoAnna, have any copies gone out with the cover that just went up?

message 17: by RoAnna (new)

RoAnna Sylver (roannasylver) | 11 comments I've sent out several ARCs with this cover, yes. 42 pre-orders currently. I can update after publication, but they'll be in circulation until I'm able to update, if I have to change the cover image.

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Oct 05, 2016 09:42PM) (new)

So then yes to ACE, Codex, but specifically with the ARC exception.

message 19: by RoAnna (new)

RoAnna Sylver (roannasylver) | 11 comments Additionally, several distributors at Draft2Digital and Smashwords, if that's relevant.