The Rise of Io (Io, #1)
This topic is about The Rise of Io
Wesley Chu > RoI: Section 1: Chapter 1: The Con Job - 15: Bijan

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Section 1

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Chapters 1-15.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections/books.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

So I guess no one else is reading this one yet, but I'll post a few comments.

The early chapters are pretty short/quick. This is a very different relationship than we had with Tao.

First off Io isn't nearly as accomplished at Tao. Apparently they were riding along with Custard during his last stand. Oops.

Meanwhile Ella's not terribly impressed either. The dynamic between the two of them is interesting so far.

Meanwhile we have a new Adonis, also a women. She seems pretty capable. I forget the politics of the Gengix. I don't recall if we encountered her parents in the last series. If we did, I don't remember them.

I haven't had a ton of reading time, so I'm not quite done with this section yet, but I'm enjoying the book so far, and happy to be back in the world of the Quasings.

I'll be curious to where things go, and if Io and Ella can come to some kind of understanding.

I also wonder if the trainer we're about to meet will be someone we met before. Not like I'll probably remember though. lol.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm glad it is off to a good start. Argh - I need to get to this! And I will!

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was wondering what direction this book would take, and I'm still not sure. It's different enough from Lives of Tao to be enjoyable while building on what came before.

Based on the title, I suspect that both Of and Ella will benefit from each other before long, but that's yet to be seen.

The trainer wasn't anyone I remember. It doesn't seem like I'm supposed to though.

I hope we find out what happened to the old man.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I really like that Io picked such a strong-minded tough host - pretty different from Tao at first. But my favorite part of this section was probably the assassination scene - she was just so very competent.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

She who? Io's previous host? (was her name Beth?)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Oh I was thinking of Shura - changed characters right in the middle - and oops had to look up the name. But where Shura set up and killed the prince. Very James Bond-like.

But Io's previous host seemed pretty competent too. And I liked seeing that scene, because then it made sense that Io chose Ella, given that the male companion was no help!

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh. That assassination scene. lol.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Ha I guess it is a good sign when there is more than one assassination scene in the first part :)