Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Am I missing any genres

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Hi All -
I tried to create threads for all of the major genres. Do you spy any that I am missing and should add?
Thanks!

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments I always like to read a few children's books because finishing one gives me a feeling of accomplishment and spurs me on. Do we include these with YA?

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Karen B. wrote: "I always like to read a few children's books because finishing one gives me a feeling of accomplishment and spurs me on. Do we include these with YA?"

Good idea. I will add a Chrildren's Genre.

message 4: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments I think it should be added to the YA because sometimes there are those borderline books.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Karen B. wrote: "I think it should be added to the YA because sometimes there are those borderline books."

I made its owns category so that anyone reading picture books or middle grade books can have a place to list those. For the most part, people can use their discretion on what genre they think their book best fits as many books cross many borders. Like a historical romance book. Is that historical fiction or romance? I think to two different people it could be in two different genres. if that makes sense.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you considered adding Horror since it is October and very close to Halloween?

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Capri wrote: "Have you considered adding Horror since it is October and very close to Halloween?"

I have Horror combined with Mystery. Do you think it should be separate?

message 8: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments maybe Horror/Halloween (I only say this because I will be reading some Halloween books)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen B. wrote: "maybe Horror/Halloween (I only say this because I will be reading some Halloween books)"

That's what I'm planning to do as well. I like your Horror/Halloween suggestion better than just Horror.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Karen B. wrote: "maybe Horror/Halloween (I only say this because I will be reading some Halloween books)"

Okay, made the change. Changed the mystery one to Mystery/suspense and then created a Horror/Halloween genre.

message 11: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Oct 09, 2016 04:29PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments Maybe:

"Biography, Autobiography and Other Memoirs"?

"Humor"

"Urban Fantasy and/or Paranormal Romance"

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "Maybe:

"Biography, Autobiography and Other Memoirs"?

"Humor"

"Urban Fantasy and/or Paranormal Romance""

I think that Biography, etc would go under "Non-fiction" and Paranormal Romance under "Romance". I can make one for Humor though.

message 13: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Oct 10, 2016 08:55AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments So Urban Fantasy and regular Paranormal goes under "Other Fiction"?

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "So Urban Fantasy and regular Paranormal goes under "Other Fiction"?"

I added Paranormal to the Fantasy / Science Fiction one. I'm unfamiliar with Urban Fantasy. Looks like a new genre for me to explore.

message 15: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Oct 13, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments If unfamiliar, have you heard of some book series that were made into movies or tv series like Divergent, Hunger Games, Mortal Instruments, ShadowHunter, Twilight, Sookie Stackhouse (HBO's "True Bllod" was based on), or Dresden Files?

Those are generally considered either Paranormal Romance or Urban Fantasy depending on which reader you talk to (plenty of long discussions around goodreads and the Internet on whether PNR or UF -- and on how each genre gets defined (but the goodreads genre definitions are at https://www.goodreads.com/genres/para... which puts PNR under romance and https://www.goodreads.com/genres/urba... which puts UF under fantasy ; Library of Congress genre form terms put Paranormal with Occult fiction, Supernatural fiction and Supernaturalist fiction )

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "Technically, book series that were made into movies or tv series like Divergent, Mortal Instruments, ShadowHunter, Twilight, Dresden Files are considered either Paranormal Romance or Urban Fantasy ..."

Hmmm - I consider most of those Young Adult.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | -99 comments LOL, I consider "Young Adult" a targeted age group or setting/explicitness-level for books in many genres rather than a genre itself (admittedly many of the "genre" designations on goodreads just come from shelf names people use) .

It's hard for me to think of Sookie Stackhouse, Anita Blake Vampire Slayer, Succubus Blues, Mercy Thompson, The Hollows, The Lupi, and Dresden Files type of books as "Young Adult" or even "New Adult."

message 18: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 39 comments I think paranormal would be better with romance, since it is a subgenre of romance. What do you think?

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Masanobu wrote: "I think paranormal would be better with romance, since it is a subgenre of romance. What do you think?"

"Paranormal books involve unusual experiences that lack a scientific explanation. Some popular subjects in paranormal books are supernatural creatures, ESP, clairvoyance, ghosts, UFOs, telepathy, and psychics.

A subgenre of paranormal books and of romances is paranormal romance. These books focus mainly on the romantic relationships with a background theme of vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, time travel, fantastical beings, and psychic abilities."

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/para...

Romance can be a subgenre of paranormal. But a book can be a paranormal book without being a romance book, if that makes sense.

message 20: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 39 comments You are absolutely right , of course! I'm used to only using paranormal in the context of paranormal romance. Sorry!

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Masanobu wrote: "You are absolutely right , of course! I'm used to only using paranormal in the context of paranormal romance. Sorry!"

No worries at all. I just am trying to keep the number of genres down to a manageable level. :) That is why I have some genres (like Fantasy and Science Fiction) paired together even though they are super different from each other.

message 22: by Dianna (new)

Dianna | 1 comments Have you considered a LGBTQ category? I know most LGBTQ books can be grouped into other categories but it might be nice to have its own thread. Thanks for all your organizing for this!

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Dianna wrote: "Have you considered a LGBTQ category? I know most LGBTQ books can be grouped into other categories but it might be nice to have its own thread. Thanks for all your organizing for this!"

That is something to think about, but at this point, I view it like paranormal... it is a subgenre. You could have LGBTQ Young Adult or romance or contemporary fiction or mystery. For the next readathon, I might create a poll and take opinions, but for this time, I think it will remain a subgenre.

message 24: by Krissa (new)

Krissa (jeldyfamreads) | 10 comments Poetry? Just finished Splitting an Order by Ted Kooser

message 25: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 123 comments contemporary and literary fiction

message 26: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 486 comments Coffeetable books

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.