The Sword and Laser discussion

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)
This topic is about The Golem and the Jinni
The Golem and the Jinni > TGATJ: Casting

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 44 comments So I'm a few pages into the book and I love to try and cast actors into these roles so for the golem, I pictured Rebecca Hall from Transcendence, Iron Man, The Awakening.
I'm stuck on the jinni though. Any suggestions? And what do you think about the golem casting? Who did you picture as these 2 characters?

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3511 comments Mod
I picture the Jinni as a younger Oded Fehr (From The Mummy, the desert fighter)

description

I don't have a solid picture of what the Golem looks like, yet.
I like Rebecca Hall, as far as looks go for the Golem.
She might be a bit shorter than I'd think the Golem would be.
I think of her as a gentle giant. Is she tall or am I imagining that?

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 44 comments I think the actress is 5'10" which is kinda tall for a woman. I just made her taller in my mind haha

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought she was shorter. She is tall enough to be the Golem then.

5'10" is a lot taller than me ;-) More than I care to admit. :-)

Trike | 8310 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I thought she was shorter. She is tall enough to be the Golem then.

5'10" is a lot taller than me ;-) More than I care to admit. :-)"

Dave, are you a hobbit?

message 6: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trike wrote: "Tassie Dave wrote: "I thought she was shorter. She is tall enough to be the Golem then.

5'10" is a lot taller than me ;-) More than I care to admit. :-)"

Dave, are you a hobbit?"

No, just a short arse ;-) with hairy feet :-P

Trike | 8310 comments Hobbitses!

message 8: by Mark (last edited Oct 06, 2016 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2299 comments I was thinking Cassidy Freeman for Chava (the golem). Or maybe I've just been watching too much Longmire.

message 9: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 72 comments I don't know that I recognize Rebecca Hall, though I've definitely seen Iron Man. But she is, somehow, exactly what I was picturing for the Golem. Well done.

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 44 comments Yessssss!!!! Haha thank you!

Trike | 8310 comments For the jinni I rather like Tunisian soccer player-turned-actor Dhaffer L'Abidine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dhaff...

I'm down with Rebecca Hall, but how about 5'11" stunt woman/actress Monique Ganderton?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1244650/#a...

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 44 comments Oh I like both of those!

message 13: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments For the Golem I pictured Eva Green. The jinni I pictured as Yul Brynner. He played Ramses in The Ten Commandments so if they ever made a movie of this, that wouldn't work seeing as Brynner died in 1985...

Michele | 1154 comments The golem for me was a young Minnie Driver. I don't know any younger actresses that I can picture.

And when I read this a few years ago Oded Fehr was my jinni, now I'm switching to Oscar Isaac :)

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 44 comments Oh Oscar. Yep. Winner.

message 16: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 72 comments Wow. I wasn't picturing Oscar Isaac at all. but I think I might just do that from now on...

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 274 comments I don't know any actors these days because I watch nothing, but I pictured Chava as solidly-built, along with her height, and not with delicate features either.

message 18: by Jessica (last edited Oct 15, 2016 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments I bet Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones) could make a great Chava.

Michele | 1154 comments But Christie is so very much a white girl :) Would a Jew create a golem who looks like a big Viking woman?

message 20: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3914 comments ^ Rick Riordan's Asgardian series has a Muslim Valkyrie. And, as I think about it, the Roman books had an Asian descendent of Mars.

Trike | 8310 comments Jessica wrote: "I bet Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones) could make a great Chava."

Even with dark hair I don't think Christie looks the part. She doesn't look the slightest bit Jewish or Mediterranean. I know we're supposed to pretend to be post-racial, but certain subgroups have a distinctive look, and Christie just looks too Northern European. She could maybe get away with Russian, but not much else.

message 22: by Nathan (last edited Oct 17, 2016 08:17AM) (new) - added it

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments I think Gal Gadot would make a great Golem, and she is tall enough, I think, at 5' 10".

Trike | 8310 comments Ooh, yeah, that's a great idea. She's also Israeli, which is a double bonus.

Ivi_kiwi | 87 comments I pictured the golem as a really strong looking woman. .. Like the mma fighter cris cyborg.