Devon Book Club discussion

Notable Authors > Elena Ferrrante identity Exposed?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
What's your view about the story about Elena Ferrante? Don't know if you are a fan of her work - I certainly am (especially the Neopolitan series); I think her books are so beautifully written.

Ferrante has always remained private and her (or his) identity has been kept secret. But an Italian journalist, who thinks he has found out who she is, has published her identity.

Ferrante's books are based in Naples and, aside from her wish for privacy at a personal level she says that, as her novels draw inspiration from real life people, she can only write honestly if her identity is kept secret.

I think it is terrible that a journalist has taken it upon himself to expose her - both as a writer and as a private citizen I think she has the right to expect her identity to remain secret if that is her wish.

Do you agree - or does the public have the right to know?

message 2: by DrMama (last edited Oct 05, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

DrMama | 332 comments I agree with you Ian. I don't see the point in doing this at all, and I would love it if everyone just ignored this journalist. I hate the thought that he's making money by doing this - presumably he cannot earn enough from his own writing skills.
We don't own writers, and I believe we should just be grateful that some of them write wonderful works. I don't like this 'cult of the author' and believe that the works should stand alone. Quite apart from what 'Ferrante' says about needing to keep her identity secret, if she is to continue a writing that is based on observations of real life, I just don't have a need to know anything about her to enjoy her books.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
DrMama wrote: "I agree with you Ian. I don't see the point in doing this at all, and I would love it if everyone just ignored this journalist. I hate the thought that he's making money by doing this - presumably ..."

I absolutely agree - it will be tragic if she (or he - the journalist doesn't know if it the woman he has identified or her husband) now feels unable to write any more.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 527 comments I agree with DrMama. It's all about the writing, surely, not the author. And this could make writing difficult for her.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "I agree with DrMama. It's all about the writing, surely, not the author. And this could make writing difficult for her."

Thats my fear - I think the journalist is getting a hard time - and rightly so