Young Writers discussion

NaNoWriMo > NaNoWriMo 2016

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Sooo... anyone participating this year?

message 2: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
*screams into the void*

I ... I really want to do it––partly because I don't want to break my streak, lol. But also I haven't written anything in AGES and maybe it would be a good way to get back on track.

I also have a bit of a conflict because I'm going to be in Germany for a week mid-November so I probably won't have much time to write during that time. So .... I'd have to work around that.

Aaand furthermore I have NO IDEA what to work on. I'm trying to decide between a bunch of different projects but I don't feel super inspired by anything. Honestly I just have had zero motivation to write over the past few months, and I feel crappy about it. :P But maybe I can use NaNo to pick up something I haven't worked on in a while?? Ehhh I don't know.

message 3: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments BRIGID, I feel the EXACT same way!!!

I want to because I really don't want to break my streak. Plus, I haven't been plotting or anything lately and it makes me so sad because I used to write 3 novels a year. Now I feel hardly inspired :(

But I don't know that I'll actually have time. I'm working full-time, going to school full-time, I'm working on a church book project with deadlines, I've also been helping out at another store on top of my current work schedule. I would just be continuing my rewrite of Rebel (no time to plot, and I haven't had time to do anything with that in a month or two) but still.

I don't want to start it if I can't finish it :(

message 4: by Fari (new)

Fari  (nothingbetterthanbooks) I'm planning to! It'll be my first year and I'm really hopeful (even though I'll be bogged down with homework and volunteering). I really want to win or at least write 30k!

message 5: by Fari (new)

Fari  (nothingbetterthanbooks) Are you trying again? If so, hope you do better! :)

message 6: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "*screams into the void*

I ... I really want to do it––partly because I don't want to break my streak, lol. But also I haven't written anything in AGES and maybe it would be a good way to get back..."

Not fair, I was going to write screams into the void.

I actually have an idea for this year and it's killing me to write it... I'm going to expand on this I think. I don't know how interesting it'll be but it'll be a nonlinear story mostly focused on character development, I suppose. Who knows. :s

message 7: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

@Jayda - Ahh I know right?? I remember the days when both of us always wrote at the speed of lightning, lol. :D Gahh yeah it sounds like you are super busy! I .... don't really have much of an excuse (besides leaving the country, lol) because I only have a part-time job right now. But I still barely write anymore. It's a problem. I think it's partly because I'm busy and partly because I'm so much more weighed down by self-criticism nowadays. I think the reason I wrote so fast when I was a teenager was because I just assumed everything I wrote was great, and I didn't really worry about plot holes or bad character development or anything like that, haha.

Yeah I'm thinking I may just continue and/or rewrite something since I just don't have the motivation or ideas to start something new. And I figure even if I don't reach 50k words, it's better than doing nothing.

@Fari - Whoa awesome!! Good luck! :)

@Hayden - It's ok we can scream into the void together. And ooh that'd be really cool!!

message 8: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
Aww Jayda, Brigid. I FEEL SO OLD.

I really want to do it too since I literally haven't written an actual book in who knows how long. Its seriously been years. And I have ideas! Vague ones! Just no time. I'm going to a military college and I have no time. If its possible I have negative time. I run on 5 hours of sleep a night and don't even know how I find time to breathe.

But I might try to write a 30 day long journal or something, or just a story a day.

message 9: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
For those who are participating I wish you the best!

message 10: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 1705 comments Guys, I don't know what to do. I've done nano a bunch of times and I had a winning streak for the first few years I did it, I think 2010-2013. And then in 2014 I failed for the first time ever (I had just started college and had no time and my idea was sort of shitty.) And then last year I managed to win, which was great, and I even did CampNano in April. So I really want to do it this year, but semester starts for me on October 30th, an then on the 9th I'm going abroad for five days, without my computer and I wont be able to write at all. So I'm conflicted. On one hand, I'm really in the mood, on the other I dont have time at all and I'll have at least 5 full days of no writing whatsoever. Also, theres the minor problem of having absolutely no idea what to write. Thoughts, anyone?

message 11: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 1705 comments Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "*screams into the void*

I ... I really want to do it––partly because I don't want to break my streak, lol. But also I haven't written anything in AGES and maybe it would be a good way to get back..."

Brigid, I feel like we're in very similar situations. We're even traveling to nearby places (I'm going to Austria).

message 12: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Ahh yeah it does sound like we're in similar situations, Naomi! Haha at this point, I'm thinking I might just try to write something that I'm not ... super invested in? Like maybe I should just start something random from scratch. I might even look through the adoption threads on the forums and just pick something from there and roll with it. Right now I don't have the energy to work on a really challenging project. But I feel like I at least need something to help me get back into the habit of writing.

message 13: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Your dedication to that novel is so admirable. I always forget about things so quickly.

message 14: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Today I officially set my novel on NaNo. [screams] I'm ready

message 15: by Nermeen (new)

Nermeen | 124 comments I never post on here because I'm just bad at forums and because I haven't done any creative writing since like 9th grade -- but I really want to do NaNo this year and start writing again!! Except I don't know if I have any good ideas or if I can write 50000 words!! I think I'm gonna try even if it's just to write something every day? And it would be really cool if anyone wants to be buddies because motivation/ideas/friends!

message 16: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I don't know what to do!!! One week and one day until it starts, and I have no idea if I should even attempt it.

I don't want to start and not finish.

message 17: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 1705 comments Jayda wrote: "I don't know what to do!!! One week and one day until it starts, and I have no idea if I should even attempt it.

I don't want to start and not finish."

Same, Jayda. I still have no idea what I'm doing or if I want to do it. I don't want to start and fail, but this month is going to be crazy. Urghhhh!

message 18: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Kiara wrote: "Does anyone have the problem of having too many ideas for a novel? That's my current problem. I decided that I'm going to try and attempt it this year but trying to narrow my ideas down is crazy. O..."

I wish I had that problem. I am exceptionally terrible at coming up with plots. Everything I write is very character-driven, I wish I could actually create stories. You have plenty of things to choose from, though, which is always great! One thing doesn't work out you just move onto the next.

Nermeen wrote: "I never post on here because I'm just bad at forums and because I haven't done any creative writing since like 9th grade -- but I really want to do NaNo this year and start writing again!! Except I..."

Writing everyday is good enough, imo. I know there are rules and all that but I find writing one thing and one thing only is very suffocating and really counterproductive -- if I write 50,000 words overall in 3 different projects, that should count just as much as if I wrote just for one project, because that's the same amount of time and effort regardless.

Also, for both of you, I'm Darth Tromeros.

message 19: by Nermeen (new)

Nermeen | 124 comments Hayden wrote: "Kiara wrote: "Does anyone have the problem of having too many ideas for a novel? That's my current problem. I decided that I'm going to try and attempt it this year but trying to narrow my ideas do..."

I think that's actually a really good idea!! I might end up doing that too! I wish I had too many ideas but I always just come up with a bunch of characters but like no story?? Or a very vague story! I'm Nermeen Zia on NaNo

message 20: by Pragati (new)

Pragati (praggati) | 1 comments Greeting to all :)
Im new to the group and totally unaware about the things and tools of the group. Also about the subject you ppl conversing on. Please introduce me to the few equisite things :)

message 21: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (last edited Oct 25, 2016 06:58AM) (new)

Praggati wrote: "Greeting to all :)
Im new to the group and totally unaware about the things and tools of the group. Also about the subject you ppl conversing on. Please introduce me to the few equisite things :)"

Basically NaNoWriMo is a challenge to write 50,000 words during the month of November! You can find more info on their website.

message 22: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Lol I honestly think I'm gonna work on a fanfic for NaNo. I've been planning one for a couple weeks and it's really the only thing I feel compelled to write right now. Plus I figure it'll just be fun and a good way to at least get back in the habit of writing, since I haven't written anything in months. :P

message 23: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I want to continue rewriting Rebel, but I'm too scared of starting and stopping before I finish.

message 24: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments I remade my account for the NaNo site while I was procrastinating doing a terrible translation this afternoon so it sounds like I've inadvertently signed myself up for it! I'm mravaljamier. Now all I need is an actual story! oh god! I know I usually just wing it but I can't help but feel like I might get more out of it if I have at least some idea of where it ought to be going (especially as I'm going to be so pressed for time - it makes it easier if I don't have to worry about what should happen)- I have my characters and my setting but do I have enough to do with them?? or will I just fall into my usual thing of like writing...scenes?? tune in next week folks

message 25: by Rin (new)

Rin Haven | 3 comments I participate every year but I never make it. :( my last book was a novella I just finished after two years. I didn't even make 20,000 words. I'm gonna try again, though! Does it count if you've already started the story?

message 26: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Rin wrote: "I participate every year but I never make it. :( my last book was a novella I just finished after two years. I didn't even make 20,000 words. I'm gonna try again, though! Does it count if you've al..."

There's a rule against it but honestly I think it's dumb. 50,000 words is an achievement period, so I don't pay heed to it.

message 27: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

I don't think it's so much a "rule" as just a suggestion. Like, they recommend that you start something from scratch because you'll probably be more likely to just dive into it, I guess? But there's no reason why you can't continue something you've already started (as long as you don't count any of the words you've written prior to November). I've done it before!

message 28: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments The last 2 years I've just continued what I was already writing as motivation to finish a project. But you can only count the words you write during November. So if you've already written 20,000 words, you can't count those 20,000 words.

message 29: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Sudden turn of events: I am abandoning the idea I originally was intending to use and writing something else instead! oh god! I realised while trying to plan the intended story that I would simply be much more emotionally invested in this other idea I have, which is also something that I've been thinking about for a while but haven't felt I have enough material for yet. I probably still don't! - but I'd rather write something I'm more enthusiastic about at this point in time, even if it's not planned, than something more organised but less exciting. Also my process of writing has changed a lot since four years ago, when I last did NaNo - I tend to write things all out of order, now - so if I'm not sure where to go from one place I can always start from another place and go in another direction.

I don't know, still don't even know if I'm going to do it at all - I'll just have to wake up tomorrow and see how I feel, I suppose!

message 30: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I am completely changing the style and structure of my novel a day before NaNo starts and lowkey dying I don't know what to even do at this point

message 31: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

@Tesni - Ahhh I can relate to that! What I'm working on for NaNo is .... kinda silly, but I just feel much more excited about writing it. I have like three other projects that are much more planned-out but I'm just not feeling inspired by any of them right now. Sooo I'm writing something that's kind of pointless that I've only been planning for like two weeks, but I think it'll be fun to write and that's what matters most to me!

@Hayden - Omg, good luck. I know you can do it! :D

@Kiara - I assume you meant "pantser"? Lol! Because yeah, sometimes pantsing is the way to go. You can always go back and rearrange/edit things, so sometimes it's best to just wing it in your first draft and see what happens.

Anyway, AAHHH I haven't started writing yet. It's weird, traditionally I've always started writing at midnight but I didn't do that this year and it feels strange. I feel like this is the first time in years that I'm not like .... super hyped for NaNo. I feel like it crept up on me so suddenly and I'm not very prepared for it, lol.

The good news is that I recently got a job where I'm basically just sitting and monitoring an office for like five hours in the evening, so I can squeeze in some writing time then. :P

message 32: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "@Tesni - Ahhh I can relate to that! What I'm working on for NaNo is .... kinda silly, but I just feel much more excited about writing it. I have like three other projects that are much more planned..."

Oh my god I've only been writing instead of writing an essay and doing the rest of my homework... essay is due tomorrow and I haven't started it yet hahaha I did get like 2000 words written though so I'll go work on that now

message 33: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Heh. I still haven't decided what I'm doing. I may just try to write in my spare time (what little of it I have) and see how that goes.

message 34: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Anyone doing it? My husband is out of town this week and I'm considering trying to catch up haha

message 35: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I am struggling but I'm caught up

message 36: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments So, of course yesterday the last day of NaNo, I come up with a story idea. But hey! At least I'm able to finally come up with new ideas!

How did everyone do? It felt so weird not participating this year :(

message 37: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I only got 37,775 words written but that's okay.

message 38: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

This is kinda late but, yeahhh I didn't do so hot either. :P Got to around 16k I think. It's the first time I lost NaNo in like 8 years, lol. I don't feel that bad about it, though? In the past few years I feel like I was just forcing the words out and wasn't that happy with the end result. This year I tried something different and worked on a fanfiction––so I didn't feel like there was too much pressure, and I just let myself have fun with it. I may not have written a ton, but I came up with an AU that I really like and I'm still continuing it. :)