Barlow College Reading Fall 2016 discussion

The Martian
This topic is about The Martian
Movie or Book?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trenton (last edited Oct 05, 2016 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trenton Andreoli | 11 comments I recently read the Martian by Andy Weir, and while I loved the movie with Matt Damon, I loved the book even more (like seriously pick this book up, it's sooo good). So while this may be a bit of a controversial topic... are you a movie or book guy/gal? Personally after reading this, I have to say I'm book all the way. It was that good.

message 2: by Hallie (new)

Hallie | 36 comments I think for the most part, like everyone, I love movies but I tend to prefer the book version. However, there is one case with the Perks of Being a Wallflower where I thought the writing style was unique, I still prefer the movie. I do remember that freshman year and this year when we did the Shakespeare unit, we watched the movie/play before and during reading. I know this is a little bit different, but that helped me understand it a lot.... anyone else? In that case I would say both.

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige Przybylski | 33 comments Mod
I think one instance for me in which the movie is at least equally as great as the book is The Shining- the film with Jack Nicholson does NOT disappoint. Also a great Halloween flick! But generally speaking, I prefer the books!

message 4: by Eva (new)

Eva Leslie | 54 comments I normally like both the book and the movie equally as much. But, I always like to make sure I read the book before seeing the movie, and that way I have something to look forward to after I finish the book.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 26 comments It all really depends for me. For older movies, I find that the book was detailed much better than the movie because you get a better insight on the characters perspective. Usually movies that change the plot make it really frustrating to watch. With newer movies now, they're become as equally as good as the book. Comparing the newer and older version of the Great Gatsby is a good example.