Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 98K Regency Era Romance/moderate heat/unconventional protags

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Minerva (new)

Minerva Spencer (minervaspencer) This is my first Goodreads post, although I've lurked for a very long time.

I am looking for a few betas who love Regency Era romantic fiction and have read lots of it. This sub-genre of romance has its own jargon and dialect and I'm looking for readers familiar with Regency Era conventions (or at least current/modern perceptions of the era).

The novel recently won an RWA chapter contest and was a finalist in another. I have three requests from agents for full manuscripts and would like to work out any kinks before I send them out and begin querying heavily.

I'm looking for brutal betas who will help toughen my tender writer's hide.

The book features unconventional protagonists like those in Elizabeth Hoyt's Prince series, Johanna Bourne's books, Lisa Kleypas's Bow Street Runners series, some of Sherry Thomas's works, and a few of Edith Layton's books.

The novel has some naughty language and also several sex scenes (think Elizabeth Hoyt).

Here is the pitch portion from my most recent query letter:

Born and raised in Africa by English missionary parents, Sarah Fisher is torn between two very different worlds. Not long after Sarah’s parents die, men attack her village and enslave everyone in it. Everyone, that is, except Sarah. When the slavers depart with her friends and neighbors in chains, the intrepid Sarah follows.

Wealthy privateer Martine Bouchard might resemble the European slave traders he harries, but his mixed-race heritage and ex-slave past mean he has far more in common with their human cargo. Martine’s hatred for the Triangle Trade, and those who engage in it, has dominated his life. Until the day he captures the Dutch ship holding Sarah and hundreds of others captive.

Martine knows plenty about women—at least about their bodies. But the prim, plain, and opinionated missionary woman is determined to teach him they also have hearts and minds. The unlikely pair embarks on a voyage that takes them from the Gold Coast of Africa to the glittering ballrooms of London. The two navigate mutineers, duels at dawn, and their own willful hearts to find each other, but when a malignant force from Martine’s past threatens their future, will their love be enough to keep them together?

I'm looking for honest responses. If you read 20 pages and put it down, I just want to know where you stopped reading and why.

Thanks for your time!

message 2: by George (new)

George Jr. | 5 comments If you're still looking for beta readers, I'd be happy to take a look.
mcfetridge@cox.net

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella Vacaroaia | 32 comments I'm more than willing to read it- it sounds super interesting...are you still looking for beta readers? ticagirl97@gmail.com

message 4: by Minerva (new)

Minerva Spencer (minervaspencer) Thank you both for your interest. After a month with no bites this is a very pleasant surprise. I will email you both individually. Thanks again!

message 5: by Garfield (new)

Garfield Whyte (garfieldwhyte) Shantal wrote: "This is my first Goodreads post, although I've lurked for a very long time.

I am looking for a few betas who love Regency Era romantic fiction and have read lots of it. This sub-genre of romance ..."

Hey can you email me garfield@garfieldlawoffice.com