YA LGBT Books discussion

Tales told - a.k.a free reads > October Writing Prompt--Those Piercing Eyes--STORIES WANTED!

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sammy Goode (last edited Oct 05, 2016 06:21AM) (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments  photo 20611648._SY540__zpsplzazfwa.jpeg

The winner this month is this amazing face! So, so many ideas here! Please let your muse run wild and post away!!

Give us your fiction - anything from haiku to novel. (Just keep it YA-appropriate, and something LGBTQ.) - if you need more than one comment box for work over about 2,000 words, feel free to reserve sequential boxes, then go back and edit in the sections. And do mark the end of your story with a symbol (like ### or "end") so we know when comments can begin. Have fun! We eagerly await your contributions!!

message 2: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments reserved for story links

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments I know the face is the choice of the majority. For myself this is a scary face, especially the eyes, it's frightening and triggering. I will do my best to find something to write though!

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Darren wrote: "I know the face is the choice of the majority. For myself this is a scary face, especially the eyes, it's frightening and triggering. I will do my best to find something to write though!"

((Hugs)) If it bothers you, don't push it. We still have lots of old pictures you haven't tried (and I love some of the stuff you've added to older ones.)

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments We had also talked about doing two this month rather than one because so many people seem to enjoy them last month - I'm taking your comment as a vote for adding the second prompt - the horse silhouettes?

message 6: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Darren, I'm going to post the runner up photo in a bit. That way you can choose to not writing on this one.

As a general note to everyone, what is one person's fantasy can sometimes be another's nightmare. The wonderful thing about our group is that we have the ability to address everyone and their concerns. Two picture prompts gives us the wonderful opportunity to just have more stories, poems, etc. to enjoy from and by each other. So give me a little bit of time and I'll get that second picture prompt up. It will be the runner up from the poll which interestingly enough was only separated from the winner by one vote so how appropriate that we do both this month.

message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments I am sorry about that, I know it sounds so silly >.<
The silhouettes, I voted for that one yeah. I would be so grateful if I could write something for it.

message 8: by Kaje (last edited Oct 05, 2016 08:13AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Darren wrote: "I am sorry about that, I know it sounds so silly >.<
The silhouettes, I voted for that one yeah. I would be so grateful if I could write something for it."

There is nothing silly about it - I know someone who found the "tears of the clown' picture painful. We all have our pasts and our triggers.

I voted for that silhouette one too. I totally spaced on last month (so glad you and others wrote for it.) I'm gonna try to do at least one this month.

message 9: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Darren wrote: "I am sorry about that, I know it sounds so silly >.<
The silhouettes, I voted for that one yeah. I would be so grateful if I could write something for it."

Please see what I wrote above--I meant every word--nothing you feel or any here feel is ever silly--I am so glad you spoke up--please know others may feel the same as you do but don't always feel brave enough to voice their thoughts!!

message 10: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments OK, Kaje, Sammy, thanks :)

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliveira (justmypipedream) | 65 comments I stared at the water below me. A gray, restless, destructive storm looked back at me, the cloudy skies mirrored on its surface. It lapped at the motionless rocks time and time again. Delicate, breakable statues trapped in a reign of violence and destruction. Would I be like those rocks when I fell from the cliff? Or would I strike back, swinging my fists at the waves in a useless fight for power?

The sun filtered through the clouds in certain places. Beams of golden light looked like they were trying to shoot the ocean, shiny, yellow circles appearing on the surface instead of bullet holes. Angels could have emerged from them, saved me from the inevitable as they would in various tales, but they didn’t. I looked over my shoulder one last time. Behind me sat the forest, and somewhere inside, hidden like monsters from a kid’s nightmares, the close minded people who’d made my life here intolerable.

There would be no letter, no photo, no goodbye. Why say goodbye to those who’d never wanted to meet me in the first place? I forced myself to sit closer to the edge of the precipice. The rough sand dug into my bare thighs and I instantly regretted my choice to bring shorts. Of course, that pain paled in comparison to the one I was about to bear, and it was both disconcerting and calming to think about how few things mattered when you were about to jump off a cliff.

I had known it would be tough to settle and fit in at a summer camp, to be among other people, to sing their songs, to play their games, to laugh at their pathetic jokes. However, the thought that I might find some friends and build a new life for myself had made me so happy it had clouded my good judgment. So I’d packed my belongings, which weren’t many, and left home behind with no explanation. It had taken me less than a week to find out just how cruel humanity could be, and from the mouths of no more than a dozen teenagers, the youth and the future of their doomed society. They’d laugh at me like annoying seagulls, pointing at my hair, at my eyes, at my quietness, finding flaws where there weren’t any. The instructors, still in their twenties, could not have cared less about the mean comments and were satisfied just as long as the kids followed the schedule and didn’t interrupt their adult conversations.

In the end, what I’d feared from the start was not what drove me away. I wasn’t there, ready to leap into the sea, because they’d found out about me, or my origins, or had simply gotten too close. I was there due to the opposite. I was there because they hadn’t understood me at all. The awkward girl with the weird hair, they’d said, when I wasn’t even a girl, when I wasn’t even a boy, when gender was the furthest thing from my mind. The quiet girl who likes girls, they’d mocked, as if it mattered, as if they had to approve, as if it were their business. I shook my head and cleared my thoughts, could almost feel them all slipping away, this event just another unfortunate episode in a long series of them. It was about to end. I planted my hands on the edge, sighed, closed my eyes, and then let myself fall.

I hit the water head first, the impact like plunging through cement. The pain was surreal, my arms moved back and forth on their own accord, my back hit the rocks I’d been pitying moments before, the current dragged me away, and away, and away. Finally, the scales started to appear. Blue colored my face, matching my bright hair, and moved down the length of my body. The shorts were torn apart by the enormous tail that replaced my fragile, soft skinned, skinny legs. My pupils became smaller, and I knew my eyes were now just two big, blue irises that filled my vision with distinctness and color, allowing me to see better.

At last, the frightening ocean welcomed me home.

the end (:

message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Alex, I think this is simply beautiful. I loved this especially:

"I was there because they hadn’t understood me at all. The awkward girl with the weird hair, they’d said, when I wasn’t even a girl, when I wasn’t even a boy, when gender was the furthest thing from my mind. "

Wonderful :)

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliveira (justmypipedream) | 65 comments Thank you, Darren!

message 14: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Alex, this is gorgeous. So sad. Makes me want to wrap this person in a hug. Thank you for sharing the story.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliveira (justmypipedream) | 65 comments Totally get you! Thank you for the nice comment, Sammy!

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel (melleach) Jennifer (Alex) wrote: "I stared at the water below me. A gray, restless, destructive storm looked back at me, the cloudy skies mirrored on its surface. It lapped at the motionless rocks time and time again. Delicate, bre..."

I love this, Alex. It's so beautiful. Sad, but a beautiful metamorphosis. The beauty at last revealed.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliveira (justmypipedream) | 65 comments Thanks, Mel!

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Darren wrote: "I am sorry about that, I know it sounds so silly >.<

Not silly at all buddy, I know how much you look forward to the prompts and also I kind of like the idea of having two prompts anyway. I think having options encourages more participation. :~)

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Jennifer (Alex) wrote: "I stared at the water below me. A gray, restless, destructive storm looked back at me, the cloudy skies mirrored on its surface. It lapped at the motionless rocks time and time again. Delicate, bre..."

I loved that Alex! A sad story with a cool twist at the end. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliveira (justmypipedream) | 65 comments No problem, thank you for the nice comment Jason (:

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara Ella (saraellen) | 94 comments Well done Jennifer! I especially liked:
" I was there due to the opposite. I was there because they hadn’t understood me at all. "
And though it was sad, it wasn't the end.

message 22: by Santosh (new)

Santosh Avvannavar | 35 comments Jennifer (Alex) wrote: "I stared at the water below me. A gray, restless, destructive storm looked back at me, the cloudy skies mirrored on its surface. It lapped at the motionless rocks time and time again. Delicate, bre..."

Sara, Very nice story :)

message 23: by Riina (new)

Riina Y.T. (ibxxxriina) | 469 comments Jennifer (Alex) wrote: "I stared at the water below me. A gray, restless, destructive storm looked back at me, the cloudy skies mirrored on its surface. It lapped at the motionless rocks time and time again. Delicate, bre..."

Lovely, but a bit sad isn't it?
Thank you for sharing!

message 24: by Riina (new)

Riina Y.T. (ibxxxriina) | 469 comments I only see beauty in that face, especially the eyes. Heh.

I also like it when we pick two winners! I hope we can do that more often, or all the time :)

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Riina wrote: "I only see beauty in that face, especially the eyes. Heh.

I also like it when we pick two winners! I hope we can do that more often, or all the time :)"

I second that Riina, i think options encourages more participation.

message 26: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments HIDING

I hide
Always in the shadows
Always away from the light

I dream
one day I will be that
suddenly the same--not a freak, just ordinary--the same

I love
hidden here in my heart
my eyes give it away--the blue deepens every time you come near

I ache
every fiber of my being is in longing
to hold, to have, to touch you as if you were mine

I hide
my skin, my hair, my eyes, my love
the freak that hides and longs to love...in the light of day

message 27: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments I love this Sammy. The wish to not feel or be called a freak, to fit in... It's wonderful.

message 28: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Darren wrote: "I love this Sammy. The wish to not feel or be called a freak, to fit in... It's wonderful."

Thank you, sweet man!

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Sammy Goode wrote: "HIDING

I hide
Always in the shadows
Always away from the light

I dream
one day I will be that
suddenly the same--not a freak, just ordinary--the same

I love
hidden here in my heart
my eyes give ..."

Sammy, I love the take of "hiding" you found in the prompt. Love it. <3

message 30: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Thanks, Jason. ❤️

message 31: by Riina (new)

Riina Y.T. (ibxxxriina) | 469 comments Yes, that was very lovely Sammy! :)

message 32: by Riina (new)

Riina Y.T. (ibxxxriina) | 469 comments Today I'm playing around a bit with words and thoughts.

I don't know what counts as a poem and what doesn't. *shrug*

Bear with me.

Set Free

Not long ago, when darkness ruled and ate up the light.
There was a time where I hurt and didn't feel so right.

“Stretch your arm. Up, up, up. Reach higher.”

They told me to grow up, to change and stop dreaming.
But leaving behind the sun? My life would lose its meaning.

“Now turn around. Faster, faster, faster.”

Then I met him—
blue hair, blue eyes, blue skin.

“Spin, spin, spin. Like you could jump and reach the sky.”

He taught me to swim with the fish and dance with the birds and bees.
To cling to happiness and how to be free.

“Smile. Imagine you could light up the dark.”

I didn't need to, because he already had, glowing hard as we flew higher.
His kiss was soft, as he shone bright like a diamond and warm like fire.

#####

message 33: by Cassondra (new)

Cassondra Tompkins | 3 comments That counts as a poem, it has rhythm. An excellent prom by the way!

message 34: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments How lovely and hopeful. Thank you!

message 35: by Riina (new)

Riina Y.T. (ibxxxriina) | 469 comments Thank you guys, and thanks for taking the time to read :)