paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

The Halloween Man
This topic is about The Halloween Man
group reads archive > October Group Read - The Halloween Man by Douglas Clegg - 100% Spoilers - Enjoy!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
By narrow margin, The Halloween Man The Halloween Man by Douglas Clegg is our October group read! Spoilers will be changed to 25% on Oct 9. Have fun!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Got it!

message 3: by Maxine Marsh (new)

I just picked it up too. We're buckling down here in south Florida for the hurricane, and not sure when I'll be online again once the power's out. This one looks pretty fun though, I hope everyone joins in!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Maxine wrote: "I just picked it up too. We're buckling down here in south Florida for the hurricane, and not sure when I'll be online again once the power's out. This one looks pretty fun though, I hope everyone ..."

Good luck, Maxine! I'm in NY, so no hurricane...but my youngest has been in ICU almost a week, and looks like at least 5 more days.....subject to change naturally, since he seems to get worse every night. :(

message 5: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Sending best wishes, Kim!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Very much appreciated!!

message 7: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Spoilers changed to 25%. Have at it!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Yay! I'm actually pacing this one....Okay, I got to 29%, but that's close. I'll stick to the first "section" because the second was only partly in the 25%, (I think).
I was absolutely floored when he told the boy to "look at him", and the boy immediately knew the relationship. I'm trying to figure out if the man is "imagining" the boy's changes, or if they're "real"....
Next scene: Flashback to man's youth. Not sure how this tactic will work for me in this book yet. I loved it in our last Jennifer McMahon book, but I'm already itching to return to the "main" action. Going to try to stay on track with this one. :)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Am at 25% now. I really like the pacing in this one, there's enough going on that I want to keep reading it but I wish the flashbacks were interspersed with the read time story a bit more.
We've been stuck in the history of Stonehaven and Stony for quite a few chapters and whilst it's interesting I'm ready to get back to the boy.
Can't make up my mind if Stony is a good guy having to do awful things for good reasons, the info regarding his snatching the wrong boy was disturbing.

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 50%.

Nickronomicon I'm having trouble deciding if I like this book or not... I've been really busy at work so that's cut into my reading time which might be part of it. I enjoy it while I'm reading but I don't find myself thinking about it any other time or anxious to get back to it to see what happens. I will say I find the side story of Fairclough interesting and I want to see how he ties back in to the main story.

Is it just me? I take my Halloween/October read very seriously - haha - especially when there's a new Laird Barron book out that MUST be read!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm enjoying the story. I think the difficulty, for myself, is "pacing" in a book that weaves back and forth through different perspectives and times. I get a good handle on one story, but only get part-way into the next before I have to stop for the week. I think I'm going to try to read to the end of a section this time, and get as close as possible to the approximate percentage.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments 51%--getting into the idea of the "backstory"...

message 14: by Maxine Marsh (new)

75% spoilers from here :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Okay, I finished last night, but only because the 75% was in the middle of a scene. So--up until that point--the various backstories are a bit "hit-or-miss" for me. The early Stony and Lourdes is essential to understanding the current situation, but the other part is a bit....well, not "unnecessary", but I feel it could be done better. I think if it were more streamlined/introduced better, then it would be more compelling. As it is (by the 75% mark), I just wanted to get back to the current events.

message 16: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 100%.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments The ending, I liked--it had a more supernatural theme to it. I think it was the (way back-) story that kept throwing me off. I liked Stony's past and his brother's encounter with Stony's "sister", but the other part needed a little more intro. or information added. So I enjoyed the beginning and the ultimate ending, but the middle could have been better, imho.

message 18: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I'm still at 25%, hopefully I'll get through most of it by the end of the week.