What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult mystery (?) about a woman whose husband has a twin brother who dies, he begins to act differently and she suspects he's not the man she married. [s]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 626 comments Hi everyone! We have a library mystery on our hands. :) Our catalog lists this description for Mary Higgins Clark's The Shadow of Your Smile:

Olivia empathizes with her husband when she learns his twin brother was murdered. She understands that everyone grieves in different ways, so there shouldn't be any reason to be suspicious of his odd behavior. But as the weeks pass, Olivia suspects the man in her house is no longer the man she married.

There's one problem, though... That's not what the book is about! We're thinking the summary got mixed up with another book. A library customer thinks the other book sounds interesting and would like to read it. Does anyone have any ideas what the title might be? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

message 2: by Moira (new)

Moira (11moira) | 253 comments The only one I could think of was The Earl Takes All by Lorraine Heath, but the heroine is called Julia.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39848 comments Mod
All of the google results from the description you gave @1 indicate that that description is attached only to an Audio edition of the book. (CD audios.)

The Audio CD edition of "The Shadow of Your Smile"
(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...) has a more thorough description which may help you out:

Jonathan and his identical twin brother, Charles, are obstetricians who share a thriving practice in Manhattan. Even Jonathan's wife Olivia, a psychologist, has difficulty telling them apart. When Charles is found murdered in his midtown apartment, Olivia helps her husband mourn the loss of his twin-- until, as the months pass, she begins to suspect that it was not Charles who was killed, but her husband Jonathan. Her search for the truth plunges her into life-threatening danger. Clark's stunning new novel explores the family ties that bind, and what evil forces may break them.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Here's another description

When at twenty-six Olivia Morrow married Jonathan Williams, she joked that it was a good thing she was a psychologist. Thirty-four year old Jonathan and his identical twin brother, Charles, were brilliant obstetricians, renowned for their research, and sharing a thriving practice in Manhattan. Olivia, like most people, had difficultly telling them apart.

Five years later, Charles is found murdered in his midtown apartment, apparently the victim of a robbery. Olivia understands the terrible grief her husband is enduring at the loss of his twin until, as the months pass, she begins to suspect that it is not Charles who was killed but her husband Jonathan.

Her search for the truth plunges her into life-threatening danger which is only increased when she crosses the path of Henry Patton, a criminologist, who is on a search of his own, the truth behind a long-ago scandal involving his grandmother that must now be solved at all costs.

Found here:

http://www.simonandschuster.co.uk/boo...

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela | 626 comments Moira wrote: "The only one I could think of was The Earl Takes All by Lorraine Heath, but the heroine is called Julia."

The plot summary made me think more along the lines of mystery or thriller than romance, but I'll suggest it just in case. Thanks so much! :)

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 626 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Here's another description

When at twenty-six Olivia Morrow married Jonathan Williams, she joked that it was a good thing she was a psychologist. Thirty-four year old Jonathan and his identical tw..."

That's so odd, this fits the description perfectly! Yet the plot summary for the print version of "The Shadow of Your Smile" is so vastly different. I wonder, could the twin storyline be a subplot and not the main narrative? I'll ask if there's any chance the book could be "The Shadow of Your Smile" after all. I'm tempted to hunt down a copy to look at myself. I want to get to the bottom of this mystery! :) Thanks for your magnificent research skills!

message 7: by Brittany (last edited Oct 06, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Brittany | 323 comments After a quick online search, I came up with the same - that description is for the audio book 'shadow of your smile' by Mary Higgins Clark, but the paperback version is about a woman named Olivia who is 82: "At age eighty-two and in failing health, Olivia Morrow knows she has little time left. The last of her line, she faces a momentous choice: expose a long-held family secret, or take it with her to her grave.
It's the same character, so maybe there was a previous book by MHC that was Olivia's story at age 26 about her husband and his twin?
I don't have the time to read through all of her books descriptions now, but I can look into it tonight.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

MHC is a Goodreads author, too bad she's not accepting questions on her author page.

But her website has a contact page where you can message her:

http://maryhigginsclark.com/contact/

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Giving this a bump since Angela posted recently.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna | 509 comments On the site https://boofsbooks.wordpress.com/2010... I found an entire discussion on this topic (in the comments section) and one person wrote: "Yes, it definitely is The Shadow of Your Smile. I have recently had an email from the audiobook publishers and they said that between the time they printed the jacket and the actually sale of the book, the whole story changed. I had looked for the synopsis in all of her other books, but could not find any book like it.".

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela | 626 comments Oh wow, who would've thought? I bet that doesn't happen very often. Thanks for your help, Anna. You've got some awesome research skills! :) Mystery solved!

message 12: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments So the original plot doesn't exist?

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 626 comments Looks that way. It's a real shame, though - the original plot sounds fascinating!

message 14: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments I know! I wanted to read it too!

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna | 509 comments You can try reading this one: https://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Dec.... It popped up constantly in my search for the "alternative version" of Shadow Of Your Smile and the plot sounds kind of similar:).

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 1 comments For anyone looking for something *similar to this original plot, I would recommend MHC's "Daddy's Gone A Hunting"

message 17: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments This is now listed as solved. What is the book?

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Nov 27, 2017 05:33PM) (new)

Mrsbooks wrote: "This is now listed as solved. What is the book?"

The book doesn't exist, in the sense that the original plot the author was going to use got changed in many details. What ended up getting published was The Shadow of Your Smile.