Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Come Closer
This topic is about Come Closer
Archives > Come Closer, by Sara Gran

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
I'm reading this for week 9, a book mentioned in another book. A Head Full of Ghosts contained so many references but this was the only book I hadn't already read. The reviews are a little mixed but I'm optimistic and am a sucker for supernatural horror stories.

"If everything in Amanda's life is so perfect, then why the mood swings, the obscene thoughts, the urge to harm the people she loves? What are those tapping sounds in the walls? And who's that woman following her? The mystery behind what's happening to Amanda in Come Closer is so frightening that it "ought to carry a warning to...readers."

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
I didn't realize how short this one is (under 200 pages) and I already finished. I appreciated the length since it was nice to check off a challenge category in only a day. I also liked the pace since once things started to escalate, there was really no slowing down and the book really pulled me in. It was very creepy at time and I have to commend Gran her achievement here. But I can't help but wish should have expanded on the characters and drawn out the progression a little. (view spoiler). It was immersive, creepy, and a little sad so I still would give it a 3.5.

message 3: by Stacey (last edited Jul 12, 2019 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacey D.  | 1755 comments I found this quick horror novel a nice change of pace, which I loved reading by day (7 am in the park) as well as by night. It was my pick for Week 9: a book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror). The story was intriguing, yet still sort of predictable, although there were some wonderfully chilling scenes here. The ones I really enjoyed were the vivid descriptions of fellow demons that Amanda glimpses, which author Gran describes in gory detail. It really forces the reader to use their imagination in picturing these satanic creatures. The side story about the dog is also a great touch. And Ed, of course. There's not a lot of fluff or unnecessary drama found in this compact story. The tale is very scary and to the point. A fun read overall.