World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Impact of a positive review

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7204 comments Hi All,

I completed a review last night for Ancient Affliction (Origin of the Undead, Book 1) Ancient Affliction (Origin of the Undead, Book 1) by Claudia Chastain

Just noting that the TBR for the above book went from 12 before my review to 27 on the same day of my review.

+15 TBR.

An interesting and unexpected impact.

And - no I'm not in the market for doing reviews.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments lol nicely done :)

message 3: by Graeme (last edited Oct 05, 2016 03:27AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7204 comments LOL. Not planned.

I wish I could give myself a review.... Hehehehe...

message 4: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7204 comments But in all seriousness.

I think that there is a lesson to be learned in terms of the value of a passionate positive review.

The other thing that intrigues me is the idea that the "passionate positivity" is the key element, and is what attracts people.

And that what I need to bring to my own marketing is the same "passionate positivity" that is present in the review.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments A good review can definitely give a book a lift. It does have to be obviously genuine (like this one), and not sound as if it was written by a friend - use of the author's first name can be a giveaway there.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13414 comments It might not be the impact of the review alone. If you recommended this book to people, this also might've added to TBRs.
15 likes and 3 comments is not a bad catch for a review -:)

message 7: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7204 comments Hi Nik, I did in fact send recommendations - something I overlooked.

It could have been the impact of approx 100 recommendations.

Hi Mike, I normally use the Author's full name to introduce a review, along the lines of

Joe Blogs has written a beast of a thriller with ... etc.

message 8: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 60 comments I keep trying to send recommendations... but Goodreads won't let me recommend my own work.

Oops.

message 9: by Nik (last edited Oct 06, 2016 02:29AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13414 comments I suppose - a fertile ground for recommendation swaps, huh? -:)
(No idea, if those are allowed)

message 10: by Leviathan Libraries (last edited Oct 06, 2016 05:56AM) (new)

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) I saw a pingback on my site one day, went to check it out, and it was a discussion in a writer's forum. The guy brought up the fact that (and he'd never told me this) my positive review of his work had led to him selling over 100 copies.

The paid reviews didn't really have a noticeable effect, but my honest, enthusiastic review led to over 100 sales for him. That.... made me feel excellent. As reviewers I don't think we tend to know when what we're doing really actually makes a difference.

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments No, I don't think we do, Lilyn - in fact that is an encouraging story.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Mike wrote: "No, I don't think we do, Lilyn - in fact that is an encouraging story."

book reviewers are key to the virality of a book. a book reviewer that readers trust and have affinity with shortcuts the entire sales process (discovery, qualification, and conversion).

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9455 comments The trick here is to make sure the reviews are fair and informative. I usually review whatever I read, and I try to find indie authors to give them a hand up. I have no idea whether my efforts work, but I like to think I am vaguely doing something good.