The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Cleverman

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8297 comments Cleverman is weird in the way only Australian TV can be.

It's a sci-fi show about a world where two groups of people exist, regular humans and "hairies", or hairypeople. At first I thought the hairies were Neanderthals who lived into the modern era or something, but they also have magical powers. Because Aussies.

Sundance and Netflix. Season 1 is 6 episodes.

http://youtu.be/D9DlMDEIHx0

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
I've seen the trailers for this, but never actually watched it.
Is it worth watching?

While you're watching Aussie sci-fi, I can recommend a show that was made in my State. The Kettering Incident

It is mostly filmed in one of my favourite places to go for a weekend get away, Bruny Island, in the south east.
Kettering is the fishing town across the bay from Bruny Is
It is a mystery involving UFOs, girls who go missing, and other strange occurrences.

It does get a bit weird towards the end of the season. There are supposed to be 2 more seasons to finish it and explain the mysteries, but it hasn't been renewed yet.

It is on Amazon Prime in the US.
https://www.amazon.com/The-Kettering-...

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8297 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I've seen the trailers for this, but never actually watched it.
Is it worth watching?"

I watched the first 3 episodes and they're intriguing enough to finish. It's pretty clearly a straight-up allegory for the current climate of xenophobia and racism in various parts of the world right now, but the stories move right along.

A lot of the actors are familiar to SFF fans. The show's power couple consist of Iain Glen and Frances O'Connor. He's probably most famous as Khaleesi's advisor in Game of Thrones while she played the mom in Spielberg's A.I. They were also in Downton Abbey and Mr. Selfridge respectively, which played back-to-back here in the US on PBS.

Tassie Dave wrote: "While you're watching Aussie sci-fi, I can recommend a show that was made in my State. The Kettering Incident
..."

Cool, I'll check it out.

I didn't realize there was another Kettering in the world. One of the suburbs of my hometown of Dayton, Ohio, is named Kettering, after prolific inventor Charles "Boss" Kettering.

message 4: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1541 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "It is a mystery involving UFOs, girls who go missing, and other strange occurrences.

It does get a bit weird towards the end of the season. "

I love this forum. One of the few places you can read the first sentence, and not assume it's weird from the beginning.

message 5: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
I still haven't watched Season 1 of Cleverman, but I noticed that Season 2 starts tonight for anyone who's interested.

On ABC in Australia and
SundanceTV in the US