Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy / Chapters 1 - 7 / ** SPOILERS **

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (last edited Oct 05, 2016 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1025 comments This thread is for discussing only the first 1/3 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (chapters 1 - 7) for those afraid of spoilers.

message 2: by Greg (last edited Oct 04, 2016 10:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1025 comments I just started chapter 4.

[chapter 3] So far it's a fun book! Weird in a good way ... love the bizarre references to earthly and alien bureaucracy: the document at the bottom of the locked cabinet in the basement with no stairs :)

[chapter 3] But so many of my friends love this book so much that I'm expecting a lot; I don't necessarily understand all the 5 star ratings yet, but there's still plenty of time. Curious to see where it goes from here after the big cataclysm: silence, noise, silence.

message 3: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2761 comments Mod
In some ways it's like Monty Python -- it's funnier to remember it and quote it than it was to actually see (or read) it.

Ryan I loved the shit out of it, but I was only 12 or 13.

Greg | 1025 comments Up to the silly part in chapter 7 where Dent and Ford are tortured with Vogon poetry.

Pretty funny in chapter 6 the part about the entry on Earth in the guide, especially the entry "improved" by Ford's long stay on Earth.

In chapter 6, I laughed at the fact that the Babel fish caused more bloody wars, vastly more, by removing barriers of communication . A humorous dig, even if I'm nowhere near cynical enough to agree with the seriousness beneath the joke.

message 6: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, I love the updated entry on Earth.

message 7: by Ryan (last edited Oct 05, 2016 09:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Greg wrote: "In chapter 6, I laughed at the fact that the Babel fish caused more bloody wars, vastly more, by removing barriers of communication . A humorous dig, even if I'm nowhere near cynical enough to agree with the seriousness beneath the joke."

It tears into a few truisms and other untested theories. A later book in the series gives Adams' take on the zoo hypothesis (Fermi paradox), going into depth on exactly why the rest of the galaxy avoids contact with Earth. It's certainly nothing to do with Star Trek's Prime Directive.

Greg | 1025 comments Audrey wrote: "Oh, I love the updated entry on Earth."

I did laugh out loud at that part Audrey. :)

Greg | 1025 comments Ryan wrote: "It tears into a few truisms and other untested theories...."

For sure Ryan!

I had to look up Fermi paradox - learned something new, thanks!

Jessica | 425 comments So far this is the perfect book to read at night just before I nod off. It is silly and fun, I agree with Audrey that it reads like Monty Python. Definitely very British, or at least my idea of British, humor. Off to look up Fermi paradox now.....

message 11: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new) - added it

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1854 comments Mod
For the first 1-2chapters I wasn't so sure I was going to get into it properly, but persevered, up to chapt 7 now and enjoying it. So let's see where it goes...

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments I always imagine Stephen Fry's voice as the guide. Also love Ford's interaction with Mr Prosser in getting him to lie down in front of the bulldozer.

Jessica | 425 comments Kirsty wrote: "For the first 1-2chapters I wasn't so sure I was going to get into it properly, but persevered, up to chapt 7 now and enjoying it. So let's see where it goes..."

I think I'm at the same place as you Kirsty. I kind of gave up on it over the weekend, it was a little too silly and I needed a little bit more of a story, less silly-ness. I am going to finish it though. i think. LOL

message 14: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Simon Jones narrated the Guide in the miniseries. He also narrates the Bartimaeus trilogy and does an excellent job.

message 15: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew | 1 comments I'm enjoying it so far. Less serious than I would normally choose but its proven to be a relief from the overly science-y factual deep books I read - hence why I haven't been able to put the book down. I agree it is very British and Monty Python-esque and all the while reading it I can picture them reading it on the radio as it originally began and pondering how much of the material may have been thought of at the last minute.