Review Group discussion

Advice > critique

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 45 comments As a reviewer I would like to make this suggestion that reviews should be written in a way so they make a writer not break them. Critical appreciation about a book is the right way to go about it.

message 2: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Emma Jaye | 4044 comments Mod
We are not the review police Mehreen, we encourage our authors to write honest reviews, and if a book is bad, they are going to let readers know. Reviews are for readers, not authors. If you book isn't ready for publication, it shouldn't be out there. Get the opinion of beta readers before pressing the publish button.
However, there are ways and means to review without being cruel.

Although reviewers can post whatever they like, we discourage 'spoilers' and would prefer comments such as 'not ready for publication yet' to 'awful, no redeeming aspects to this drivel whatsoever'.
A mod may suggest 'that was a little harsh' but that's about all the comments we would make, unless there was a personal attack on the author.
We had an extensive poll on the group and the majority of members prefer that all star reviews should be posted, it maintains the ethical ethos of the group.

message 3: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 45 comments Oh absolutely! I am not soliciting reviews here, neither am I to talk about my books. I joined this group to talk about reviews and that all. Isn't this what this group is about? If not I'll delete my post, leave the group and you could delete yours too.

message 4: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 45 comments BTW, I am a traditional author not self published.

message 5: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

This group is about reviews, but it's mainly a peer review group for self-published authors. The group ethos is honest, non-reciprocal reviews. So we wear two hats here, as reviewers and authors ( or 4 in my case as I'm the group admin and a review round mod too.)
Plus all the other ones independent authors wear, editors, beta readers, publicists, etc, not to mention all the hats we have in our 'non-author' lives.
Personally, I think we all need a huge hat rack to cope with it all.

message 6: by Mehreen (last edited Oct 05, 2016 01:00AM) (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 45 comments I thought it read clear instructions somewhere to not to ask for reviews or post reviews something like that. You instructions are not very clear. Now what is wrong with my first post?

message 7: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Nothing is wrong with your first post. I was just clarifying the position of the group with reference to reviews given and received in the context of the group.
The group is about giving and receiving reviews within review rounds, or on the one for one thread, authors have to give reviews (in a non-reciprocal way) in order to receive them.
The sign up message, when you initially join up, is meant to prevent people spamming the group with 'here's my book, please review it' type posts.

message 8: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 45 comments Oh I see. I'll follow your footstep.