Clean,Non Religious-Reads discussion

Medieval Romance > favorite historical romance authors (esp. medieval and ancient world)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Evans (anne_garboczi_evans) Looking for some not esp. religious, clean-ish (no more than PG-13) historical romance books. Especially those set in more ancient times, medieval, Roman empire, Greece, Egypt etc. I especially would like recommendations of ones by lesser known authors who I haven't heard of before. Been combing Amazon with no success. Figured you guys would be the ones in the know.

message 2: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Hi Anne, hope this will help~https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Lisa Shea-The Sword of Glastonbury Series

Page: A Sweet Scottish Medieval Romance (Sweet Scottish Brides Book 1)by Tanya Anne Crosby

message 3: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments Firelord Beloved Exile The Last Rainbow
These are older, but good ones.

It's probably been 20 years since I read them, and I'm trying to remember particulars on the content. I don't think there was much in the way of profanity, given how old it is (1980 on the first one) it is from before bad language was really acceptable in literature. I also don't recall exactly how much detail goes into the 'love scenes' but I think it closes the door - although there's a scene in Beloved Exile that involves a...ritual for preparing a bride for her wedding night that might be a bit on the TMI side.

Also, these books are not especially heavy on traditional romance, more love stories entwined with speculative fiction about King Arthur in a post-Roman England, which I found to be riveting. The characterization Godwin employs creates a powerful read.

I was just talking with my brother about these books, and I'm thinking I need to figure out how to make time to read them again.

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 22 comments Anything by Jan Westcott

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) | 16 comments Hey, I only just saw this thread! I write clean historical fantasy romance set in Ancient Rome/Atlantis. In fact ... there's a giveaway for the first book in the series, Atlantis On the Shores of Forever, going on right now:

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

(Hope it's okay to post this here!)

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky Lawyer | 106 comments So I just saw this (I haven't been on Goodreads for a few years now), so I hope somebody can get some good from this post.

For ancient Rome, I HIGHLY recommend Silver Pigs (it has nothing to do with pigs, btw) by Lindsey Davis. It's a mystery, very funny, pretty romantic, but CLEAN! The sleuth is a private detective kind of guy in Rome.

Okay, I like mysteries, what can I say?

I also recommend the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters. They take place in 1100 England (Wales), where the sleuth is a Benedictine monk. Sweet, usually a romantic subplot. CLEAN!

Katherine by Anya Seton is just historical fiction, non-genre, about Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, about 1340 (I think) England. There is a little bit of skin, but it doesn't bother me and I'm usually pretty paranoid about that kind of thing.

The Merlin books by Mary Stewart. My favorite take on the Merlin legend. The first one is The Crystal Cave, then The Hollow Hills. I think the third is The Wicked Day? They start with Merlin's story before going into Arthur. Not overly magical. LOVE THEM. Definitely PG-PG13.

Another clean series (again they're mysteries. I feel like I'm the only one who reads them nowadays) The Last Templar (it's the first) by Michael Jecks. About a Templar who escapes the massacre of Friday the 13th and flees to England to live incognito. I've read at least two of them and quite liked them.

Another series about the Arthurian legend is by Stephen Lawhead. The first is called Taliesin (as I recall, he's Merlin's dad? and he's from Atlantis? Sounds weird, but really, it's okay. You just go with it). The next is Merlin, then Arthur, then Pendragon. It's been almost 30 years, but as I recall, they were pretty clean. I may have to read them again!

message 7: by Christine (last edited Aug 09, 2018 11:36AM) (new)

Christine Stobbe | 20 comments Thanks to Becky, I just saw this thread too. :) Check out the Dragon's Fire Series on Amazon by Christine Stobbe. The first one is set in 1218 and they go from there. Clean historical fantasy with a bit of romance thrown in. Very unknown author - the first book was published last October.

message 8: by C., Group Creator (last edited Aug 09, 2018 06:38PM) (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Thanks for the heads up, Christine. :D