Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > October's Non-Linda BOTM-Because I'm Watching by Christina Dodd

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Veteran Jacob Denisov lives alone in his small, darkened home, sleepless, starving, blaming himself for the horrors of the past and waiting for the moment when he gathers enough courage to kill himself. When neighbor Madeline Hewitson drives her car through the front wall of his house, she breaks his house—and Jacob's life—wide open. She isn't called "Mad Maddie" for nothing. The survivor of a college dorm massacre, a woman accused of her lover's murder, she is haunted by ghosts and tormented by a killer only she can see. Dealing with construction and forced to see the world outside his home, Jacob watches Maddie, recognizes a kindred spirit and wonders—is this truly madness, or has someone caught her in a twisted labyrinth of revenge and compassion, guilt and redemption, murder and madness?

message 2: by Fluteak94 (new)

Fluteak94 I just finished the book! It's quite predictable, but I loved the style and this is the first book I've read by Christina Dodd. It was a good recommendation. I'm definitely going to check out more of her books. Hope you guys are enjoying the read!! I read it in one sitting, the characters' were too interesting to abandon XD

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments I was more than a little put off by how rude Jacob was and how isolated Maddie was. The two together were a very unlikely pair, but the chemistry and their histories made it work.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I found Jacob and Maddie very anti-social and yet for me they worked. Maybe I needed something a little different but I did enjoy reading this one. I actually liked Kateri in this one where in the prior books I didn't appreciate her story and the frog god.

message 5: by Eve (last edited Oct 07, 2016 01:45AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Because I'm Watching is part of Virtue Falls series:
# 1 Virtue Falls
# 2 Obsession Falls
# 3 Because I'm Watching
(there are also several short novellas but I haven't read those, yet).

Its a good thing that all books can be read as standalones. I started with book 2, Obsession Falls and never felt confused because I hadn't read previous story. I'd say the end of Obsession Falls was quite unusual. Dodd's characters were indeed too interesting to abandon (view spoiler). So I really look forward reading BIW. I should get it within a week or two.

message 6: by Fluteak94 (new)

Fluteak94 I think the anti-social elements of both characters work. Especially given the backstory. They just clicked. I want to discuss more about that :P but I'm not sure how to remove spoilers etc or even the etiquette of discussing the end :P I'll just wait for advice XD

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I have this on order at the library. Fortunately I have access to two different city libraries in the place where I live. That is how I got to read Frost Line. I am looking forward to this book