Chaos Reading discussion

Short Reads > The God of Dark Laughter

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (last edited Oct 04, 2016 08:58PM) (new)

Whitney | 1321 comments Mod
In honor of all the creepy clown sightings around the US, I thought a post to the Michael Chabon Story from the New Yorker about a gruesome clown murder was in order. Chabon brilliantly brings form and content together in this story. [Warning, Graphic Imagery].
The God of Dark Laughter

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 637 comments Mod
I (finally) read this a few weeks ago. Kinda felt like a mix of Sherlock Holmes and HP Lovecraft! Very cool and I can see why Chabon has the rep he's built. Looking forward to reading one of his novels this year (picked up a used copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay last year).

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Yay, glad you liked it. I haven't read much Chabon outside his short stories and Kavalier & Clay. It seems there are perpetual rumors of a movie or series, but it never happens.

message 4: by Marc (new)

Thanks for posting it! I think I'll let K&C determine whether I read any other Chabon books. How's the Aickman book going?

message 5: by Whitney (last edited Jan 03, 2017 10:30AM) (new)

Since it's an out-of-print book, I decided to try it on audiobook, since they just released his three collections thereas (not sure if that's really a phrase, but it should be). I was afraid Aickman wouldn't work well on audio, and he doesn't, despite an excellent reader. So the short answer is, the book is great but I need to stick to reading Aickman with my eyes.

I just checked, and it looks like his books are being rereleased on Kindle in a couple months, so I won't have to read the crappily formatted pirate copy of his complete short stories that I have.

P.S., if you haven't read Aickman, definitely check him out. Hard to describe his books as he's unique. Most people just settle for "strange".

Maybe a reading project for me would be to read every one of his stories followed by the tribute book Aickman's Heirs. I kind of like that idea.

message 6: by Marc (new)

I have yet to read any Aickman. Sounds like I'll be avoiding the audio, but I would do that for any book--I just start to zone out and stop paying attention. I tried a trial version of Amazon's audio detail and didn't make it past ten minutes of a book I was actually interested in... I seem to be able to handle nonfiction audio just fine... So weird.

That sounds like quite the reading project!

message 7: by Whitney (new)

He only has 40 or so short stories, so not that bad.

I have the zone-out problem as well. I also find non-fiction works fine, but the more 'literary' a book is, the less I get out of it. Books that are fairly straight-forward story-telling work much better. Most Stephen King, for example. Clever and complex sentences or extended mood building not so much.

I walk my dog for an hour or more a day, so that's prime listening time. I figure even if I don't get 100% out of a book, 80% is better than nothing.

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Now I'm wondering if maybe Ligotti would be a better project. All of his short stories, followed by The Grimscribe's Puppets. Sigh.

message 9: by Marc (new)

You feel you're in need of a project, eh?! :D

Ligotti is also on my TBR list... (sigh)...

I did finally read a Shirley Jackson story ("The Daemon Lover"). I was gonna post it as a separate thread under short stories, but didn't think it would generate much discussion.

I'm with you on 80% being better than nothing!