YA LGBT Books discussion

YA only Discussion zone. > I need LGBT book suggestions.

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Friesen (emilyfriesen) | 2 comments I want to read books focusing on LGBT characters in a fantasy world in a series of books that is good. So far the only books I've read with LGBT characters are the mortal instruments, house of night and heroes of Olympus.

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Oct 04, 2016 10:15PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Emily wrote: "I want to read books focusing on LGBT characters in a fantasy world in a series of books that is good. So far the only books I've read with LGBT characters are the mortal instruments, house of nigh..."

I mostly know the ones with gay male MC characters - for series try -
Luck in the Shadows
Lord of the White Hell, Book 1
Smoke and Shadows
Distant Rumblings
Magic's Pawn
The Cat in the Cradle
Bitter Moon Saga Bundle
The Door Into Fire

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to give these books a try!

message 4: by Selma (new)

Selma (selmariemer) | 7 comments Emily wrote: "I want to read books focusing on LGBT characters in a fantasy world in a series of books that is good. So far the only books I've read with LGBT characters are the mortal instruments, house of nigh..."

Read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

message 5: by James (new)

James (rigfield) | 27 comments Haffling by Caleb James (series)

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Martinez Figueroa (boricuareads) Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova is a good fantasy book with a bisexual Latina at its center.
Timekeeper by Tara Sim is a steampunk-Victorian era fantasy fiction series.
Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust is a high fantasy Snow White retelling and one of the main characters is a lesbian.
The Conqueror’s Saga by Kiersten White contains a gay MC and it’s historical fiction that reads like high fantasy.
Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst has a f/f pairing and it’s fantasy.
Sort of similar to Carry On, A Hero At The End Of The World has a gay MC and it’s fantasy.

message 7: by Philip (last edited Mar 01, 2018 01:23AM) (new)

Philip I'd recommend T J Klune's Verania series
https://www.goodreads.com/series/1820...

message 8: by J.S. (last edited Mar 22, 2018 02:56PM) (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 33 comments I second Lord of White Hell and Carry On.

Also, Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo duet and The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater series.

And I've just finished an ARC of A Light Amongst Shadows by Kelley York. Not so much a fantasy - more a paranormal theme. But the M/M relationship is gorgeous and it's totally YA appropriate. Not out yet but well worth adding to your TBR list :)

Jo x

message 9: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Philip wrote: "I'd recommend T J Klune's Verania series
https://www.goodreads.com/series/1820..."

Are those within YA limits - TJ usually writes explicit sex (although I haven't read that particular series.)

message 10: by J.S. (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 33 comments Oh, and there's Peter Darling by Austin Chant x

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 337 comments Kaje wrote: "Philip wrote: "I'd recommend T J Klune's Verania series

Are those within YA limits - TJ usually writes explicit sex (although I haven't ..."

Haven't read them either, but I would say no from the reviews I glanced through. The first two books have a lot of "low steam" "no sex" shelves, and one of my friends specifically mentions there is no sex in the first book. But reviewers for later books do mention sex scenes and lots of talk about sex.

message 12: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Thanks Linda.

message 13: by Alnora1227 (new)

Alnora1227 | 1 comments Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "Kaje wrote: "Philip wrote: "I'd recommend T J Klune's Verania series

Are those within YA limits - TJ usually writes explicit sex (althou..."

So obviously this is made for me! :-D

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Stefan | 8 comments One I’ve heard about often is The Luck in the Shadows series. I have all the books on my shelf but still am waiting to get around to reading them

message 15: by John (new)

John Meszaros | 5 comments The Stone Dance of The Chameleon series by Ricardo Pinto has some good gay characters. The books in the series are The Chosen; The Standing Dead; and The Third God

The Red Threads of Fortune by JY Yang also has some quality gay characters.

Chameleon Moon by RoAnna Sylver has a range of LGBT characters

message 16: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Tamora Pierce's Emelan series is good. The first four books are geared to the younger teen end of the age spectrum, but as the characters get older, the stories get more mature. The queer content comes when one of the core original characters comes out about their sexuality in The Will of the Empress, which is book eleven in the chronology, following Circle of Magic (books 1-4), The Circle Opens (books 5-8), Battle Magic, and Melting Stones. I know that sounds like a lot of books, but they're fairly short, easy reads. I really advise you read in chronological order, not publishing order, because the last three books were published in a weird non-chronological sequence that creates a confusion of major events/spoilers if read in publication order. (This is partly because one of them was originally published exclusively as a full-cast audio and took some years to become an actual physical book.) There are also some secondary queer characters that are recurring and integral to the series.

message 17: by K.S. (new)

K.S. Trenten (cauldronkeeper) | 80 comments I just thought I'd mention I have a Young Adult tale of f/f romance, growing up, teddy bears, and holiday magic coming out on December 3rd. It's based on the very first story I wrote when I was eleven years old and it's called Wind Me Up, One More Time. It balances the magic and wonder of fairy tale with the real life conflict of growing up while holding onto your creative energy amidst all the world throws at you.

message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Kari wrote: "I just thought I'd mention I have a Young Adult tale of f/f romance, growing up, teddy bears, and holiday magic coming out on December 3rd. It's based on the very first story I wrote when I was ele..."

Congratulations on the release. More F/F stories are always welcome. Make sure you put it in the "New Releases" list too.

message 19: by K.S. (new)

K.S. Trenten (cauldronkeeper) | 80 comments Kaje wrote: "Kari wrote: "I just thought I'd mention I have a Young Adult tale of f/f romance, growing up, teddy bears, and holiday magic coming out on December 3rd. It's based on the very first story I wrote w..."

Thank you! I've got a Really Stupid Question...where do I go to find the New Releases list? Also should I wait until I've got my cover and my buy links before going there? Wait, I guess that's two questions. (wry grin)

message 20: by Ana (new)

Ana Vilhena (anagabi_vilhena) | 1 comments “Red, White and Royal Blue” is THE book here in Brasil now.

message 21: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 99 comments Ana wrote: "“Red, White and Royal Blue” is THE book here in Brasil now."

It's definitely not YA though, so doesn't work for a suggestion here!

message 22: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Frederick | 15 comments Try the Archangel Academy trilogy by Michael Griffo.

message 23: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Carrie-Anne wrote: "Ana wrote: "“Red, White and Royal Blue” is THE book here in Brasil now."

It's definitely not YA though, so doesn't work for a suggestion here!"

It's on a lot of YA lists, but it has explicit sex, so yeah, not really YA. Still, I do love seeing a gay romance getting a lot of attention and applause - it's on the Goodreads Awards voting right now, under both romance and debut book.

message 24: by Kaje (last edited Nov 14, 2019 10:15AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Kari wrote: "where do I go to find the New Releases list? Also should I wait until I've got my cover and my buy links before going there? Wait, I guess that's two questions. (wry grin)."

You can list the book there as soon as you have some kind of publisher link for it. Usually people put up the Goodreads book link and cover, so people can go read the blurb.

The December 2019 New Releases thread is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 25: by K.S. (new)

K.S. Trenten (cauldronkeeper) | 80 comments Kaje wrote: "Kari wrote: "where do I go to find the New Releases list? Also should I wait until I've got my cover and my buy links before going there? Wait, I guess that's two questions. (wry grin)."

You can l..."

Thank you!