World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Announcements & Book Promotions > Map for my fantasy world!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Kummer Map of my fantasy world!

http://davidkummer.com/map-of-enden/

Check out my new map for my fantasy novel! Christie Tulloch, a friend of mine, drew it, and after we worked on it together it looks fantastic.

For more information, check out the article below. If you can't see it well, you can also download it from that article.

I will make a new map soon with the cities colored in and also one with the countries, so stay tuned and check out the article below!

http://davidkummer.com/map-of-enden/

kavi + alex + noir ~ve|vim~ (percybluefood) | 145 comments I like it :D

message 3: by David (new)

David Kummer Awesome :) That makes me very glad to hear!

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) It looks like a LoTR's map. I love old maps.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 213 comments Nice! I always like having maps to refer to in fantasy worlds.

I'm an avid map-maker too. Plus plans of buildings and ships as settings for my stories. Mostly the aim is to help me visualize the settings and make sure I'm consistent with topology, distances, etc. but I'm slowly converting my rough sketches into more polished works to publish on my website as background material.

message 6: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments Lovely! Well done, you!

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14922 comments Cool map, well done! If google finds out, they may attempt to buy it out like they did with Waze app. -:)
ME looks prone to action -:)

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Thyssen (rachelthijssen) | 18 comments Nice. I want to make one as well soon with Photoshop, but I haven't finished the manuscript yet.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Rachel wrote: "Nice. I want to make one as well soon with Photoshop, but I haven't finished the manuscript yet."

do you make the map up in your head as you go along?

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Thyssen (rachelthijssen) | 18 comments I do, yes.

message 11: by David (new)

David Kummer I start with the geography outline and then fill it in with cities and trees and such.

message 12: by kavi + alex + noir ~ve|vim~ (last edited Oct 06, 2016 05:38PM) (new)

kavi + alex + noir ~ve|vim~ (percybluefood) | 145 comments I want to have maps tor my fantasy worlds. But I don't have photoshop as home, I could probably ask my advanced Graphics Design if I could use the photoshop at school for the maps and the book covers but Idk how to make the maps

message 13: by David (new)

David Kummer Honestly, making a map for your own book isn't that hard, and at least you could try your hand at it! I did the first draft of my map, and honestly I could have used it but chose to let somebody else.

I'm sure that you're talented enough to make your own, even if it's very simple. Sometimes readers like a really simple one!

message 14: by Codex (new)

Codex Regius (codex_regius) | 26 comments For me, they can't be sophisticated enough. I enjoy them with lots of detail, like those of Middle-earth.

This is one I made for our set of historical novels: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Lt...

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14922 comments Codex wrote: "For me, they can't be sophisticated enough. I enjoy them with lots of detail, like those of Middle-earth.

This is one I made for our set of historical novels: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L..."

Nice!

message 16: by Nik (last edited Oct 10, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 14922 comments For my third book I borrowed the map of Ukraine from CIA's factbook. Thanks for making them public domain -:)

message 17: by David (last edited Oct 10, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

David Kummer Dang, Codex, that map is awesome! Much better than mine lol.

message 18: by Rachel (last edited Oct 15, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Rachel Thyssen (rachelthijssen) | 18 comments Okay... I tried to make a map of my fantasy world. It's in color. It's so amateuristic, haha. I used Photoshop CS6 to make it.
But here's mine:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2os3jqyqac...

(I'm laughing so hard at this)

message 19: by David (new)

David Kummer That's not bad lol! It's simple, and a great visual tool. I really love the colors, though. It makes me interested :)

message 20: by Alex (last edited Oct 17, 2016 10:32AM) (new)

Alex (asato) David wrote: "That's not bad lol! It's simple, and a great visual tool. I really love the colors, though. It makes me interested :)"

yea, nice texturing and shading--gives it a 3-D feel.

message 21: by Leer (new)

Leer Es | 24 comments I congratulate everyone on there maps. There isn't any one way to make a map. I love seeing the different approaches people take to achieve something that sounds straight forward. Keep the creativity coming!

message 22: by David (new)

David Kummer Thanks Leer :) I'm glad we all got to talk about ours some!

message 23: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Maps and other visual aids are extremely useful for world building.

Absolutely worth the effort if you're into world building.

message 24: by David (new)

David Kummer I agree. And they also are a selling point for the book, if used properly.