Play Book Tag discussion

Dark Matter
This topic is about Dark Matter
Archive: Other Books > Dark Matter by Blake Crouch- 5 stars!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments This book totally consumed me. I read it in two sittings, and thought about it for many days after. I would consider it more of a psychological thriller, with sci-fi aspects. Rather than the primarily science fiction, with thriller aspects. It's definitely in line with popular thrillers now- more masculine and "gritty", with more science and theory involved. However, I found the 'twist' in this to be so much better than most. Total mind-f***, loved it. Had me questioning my own reality, and wonder questions based on it's logic of how the world and reality works.

Jason enjoys his life just fine, then gets kidnapped quickly and finds himself in another dimension. Not another place- another dimension. He has to figure out what kind of reality he is in, how he got there, and how to get his life back. It's pretty fascinating. I normally hate suspended disbelief and sci-fi, but this had me going. I kept wanting more, find out more facts, discover his world, root for Jason! This book had me wanting more and more and more, and when it was done, I still wanted more.

Others have criticized the language. It's simple. Perhaps overly simple. While reading, Jennifer told me the author is a screenwriter. You can tell. It's written as if it's going to be made into a movie. I really didn't mind it. Seemed to bother some, didn't bother me. I enjoyed it as is!

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2276 comments This definitely looks like something I might enjoy. I'm adding it to my TBR and plan to pick it up soon.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments It's on my library wait list, I think I'm number 7.

annapi | 5117 comments That sounds interesting, darn it. I don't need to add to my TBR!

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Hope I can get to this one.

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for your review! I've added it. I'm intrigued.

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I did not rate it as highly, I thought it was perfectly enjoyable, but not exceptionally complex. I thought the scientific part was week and there were a couple of plot holes. And the ending was strange.

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments I gave it 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it and thought it was a fast paced, entertaining read that raised some interesting questions. It read like a Hollywood movie script so I wasn't surprised to learn the author is a screen writer and this book already has movie rights.

I think I was more in line with Jennifer's review but I did enjoy it and think it will appeal to many.

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Ack! Week=weak. I've been having major problems with autocorrect lately that are squeezing past my notice!

message 10: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments I can definitely see why some rated it lower than I did. I think my 5 star rating was definitely influenced by it's 'entertainment value'. May not be the most developed world, but the pure enjoyment I got out of reading it was grand. Total page-turner. Also the fact that I generally hate sci-fi made it so I had no idea what was going to happen- I have no basis on how to guess the 'plot twist' based on my personal reading experience.

I was left a few gripes that are way too spoiler-y to reveal. But overall the minute gripes I had were fine based on how much I enjoyed reading it. - (view spoiler)

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Joi wrote: "I can definitely see why some rated it lower than I did. I think my 5 star rating was definitely influenced by it's 'entertainment value'. May not be the most developed world, but the pure enjoymen..."

I think entertainment value is important. I can definitely see why it could get 5 stars for that alone. I definitely was entertained.

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments I gave it 5 stars too, for the reasons you explained so well. I can picture people enjoying it far in the future. It really moves you right along, a bus you just can't get off of ( sort of like in the movie Speed).